Author Topic: What guest do you want to hear on the show?  (Read 133148 times)

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
What guest do you want to hear on the show?
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2006, 11:37:25 PM »
Eugene Scott. I have heard her before and she is very good
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Omega

• Off to a Start
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2006, 11:41:46 PM »
Quote from: xenu

She has already been on the show. In episode  42.

Offline reed

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2006, 12:42:35 AM »
Lawrence Krauss.  

Krauss is a physicist at Case Western.  He regularly speaks on physics and on the creationism vs. evolution issue when they're in the news.  He's been a frequent guest on Science Friday and the Seti radio program and others. Recently, he became the chair of HOPE, a group that is supporting candidates for the upcoming Ohio school board elections.  So, he'd be a good guest to talk about both physics (e.g., new planet resolution) and evolution (e.g., Ohio school board, Pope and ID, etc.).

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2006, 07:49:53 AM »
Quote from: "Omega"
Quote from: "xenu"

She has already been on the show. In episode  42.

Yes you are right. I have heard her on other pod casts and wasn't sure which one's
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Three

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2006, 01:38:40 AM »
Joshua Shapiro, the supposed expert on crystal skulls
 didn't do it.

Michael Elliot

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2006, 03:35:15 AM »
Here's my  wishlist:

1. Penn and/ or Teller
2. The authors of Freakonomics
3. Thomas Gold (he's the guy that says oil might not be a fossil fuel)
4. Ronald Bailey (he's the science correspondant for Reason Magazine and a great one to talk to about things such as global warming)
5. John Stossell
6. Neil Tyson
7. Bill Nye
8. Bjorn Lomborg (author of "The Skepical Environmentalist" and has a new book also)
9. Peter W. Huber & Mark P. Mills (Authors of "The Bottomless Well: The Twilight of Fuel, The Virtue of Waste, and Why We Will Never Run Out of Fuel")

Offline cosmicvagabond

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2006, 03:37:47 PM »
Good list, Michael....with the exception of John Stossell. In my opinion, his conclusions are greatly influenced by his obvious conservative bias. But, then again, perhaps the panel could take him to task on some of his stances... particularly his total rejection of global warming.
Bold ideas, unjustified anticipations, and speculative thoughts are our only means for interpreting nature... Those among us who are unwilling to expose their ideas to the hazard of refutation do not take part in the scientific game.    ---Karl Popper, "The Logic of Scientific Discovery"

Offline Kaa

• Off to a Start
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2006, 08:18:26 PM »
I don't think anyone else has suggested Michael Shermer, but why not?

You know who'd be the coup of all time? Dr. Hawking.  I know that would be kind of strange, but think about it.  Not that he'd ever do it, mind you, but....wow. :)

Offline Timothy Clemans

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2006, 08:37:10 PM »
Quote from: "Kaa"

You know who'd be the coup of all time? Dr. Hawking.  I know that would be kind of strange, but think about it.  Not that he'd ever do it, mind you, but....wow. :)

podcast #5 has Michael Shermer
url=http://www.theskepticsguide.org][/url]

Offline Kaa

• Off to a Start
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2006, 08:53:51 PM »
Quote from: "Timothy Clemans"
Quote from: "Kaa"

podcast #5 has Michael Shermer

Oh, yeah. It's been a while since I heard that one.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2006, 10:37:26 PM »
Bill Nye would totally rock I love every show he has ever done also when he worked for Boeing he helped eng. the 747.
Douglas Adams

Offline Timothy Clemans

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2006, 10:39:02 PM »
I didn't like his Eyes of Nye.

Offline Wonko the Sane

• Well Established
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2006, 10:40:00 PM »
I second the vote for Bill Nye. I think it is very fair to say that he started my very first interest in science.
'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

"People in bamboo houses should not throw pandas" -Jesus

Offline Timothy Clemans

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2006, 10:43:38 PM »
He was on Evening Magazine in Seattle where I live and I think he is kinda interesting. Rebecca likes him a lot.

Michael Elliot

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2006, 02:10:15 AM »
Quote from: "cosmicvagabond"
Good list, Michael....with the exception of John Stossell. In my opinion, his conclusions are greatly influenced by his obvious conservative bias. But, then again, perhaps the panel could take him to task on some of his stances... particularly his total rejection of global warming.

Hey Cosmic,

I urge you to give Stossell a closer look. A conservative he is not. Classic liberal or libertarian maybe but definately not a conservative. I think what turns off a lot of people from him is that he is free-market biased (this is appropriate in my view) while almost all other reporters (from NPR to Fox News) are government biased. For example, it's not that John is totally rejecting that the world might be warming a bit. It's that it certainly isn't the doomsday senario that folks think it is. He's rejecting the idea of government policy being used to try to stop it because the unintended consequences of such policies would be much worse to humans and the environment than global warming (if it exists) itself.

But I don't think the panel agrees with this view and I agree that it would be fun to hear them "take him to task." I enjoy hearing interviews with some reasonable disagreement among adults.

I also thought of another guest I'd like them to interview. Is anyone familiar with John Sarno? He treats back pain as a "mind/body" phenomenon. I'm not sure what to think of him and would love to hear Steve interview him. He seems to be successful with his patients but I'm not sure if he's been studied or not. Any thoughts?