Author Topic: What guest do you want to hear on the show?  (Read 135320 times)

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
  • Dumb, in a pocket, and proud of it.
Re: What guest do you want to hear on the show?
« Reply #780 on: August 08, 2009, 06:54:33 AM »
Dear SGU rogues:

In two words: ALAN SOKAL! Sokal, for a quick bit of background, wrote the famous hoax paper in a post-modern journal that caught the journal with their pants down. I've been waiting to hear SGU devote an interview solely to the debunking of Postmodernist woo (as it bears on Science) but it has never come.

ALAN SOKAL +1

Definitely!

http://download.guardian.co.uk/audio/1204548968561/4522/gdn.sci.bg.080228.Sokal_Lecture.mp3

http://media.libsyn.com/media/colinmarshall/MOI_Alan_Sokal.mp3
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 07:00:02 AM by Trinoc »
I'm a skeptic. Not a "skepdude". Not a "man skeptic". Just a skeptic.

Offline BertrandBataille

• Off to a Start
    • Six Men Getting Sick
A day is one rotation of the Earth on its axis. God created the universe in 6 days. Before he created the Earth, how did he know how long a day was?

Offline alcareru

• Off to a Start
« Reply #782 on: August 13, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
Dawkins, definitely Dawkins!
Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard Feynman

Offline Epicurious

• Brand New
  • Word.
« Reply #783 on: August 17, 2009, 07:05:02 AM »
Jack Cohen - Co-wrote with Terry Pratchett in some of the Discworld series, an 'expert' in what life would be like on other planets, mathematician and all-round eccentric!

Has many great stories and a love for 'large' women... (the first thing he told me when I met him)
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

Offline Epicurious

• Brand New
  • Word.
« Reply #784 on: August 17, 2009, 07:07:07 AM »
Oh... and a quick wiki reference to Jack Cohen as previously mentioned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Cohen_scientist

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
« Reply #785 on: August 17, 2009, 08:59:59 PM »
Peter Sagal
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline craig

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #786 on: August 17, 2009, 09:48:31 PM »
Peter Sagal

On a related note, I just saw that Paul Provenza was at a CFI function.  So it looks like he is one of us too. ;D
"Why ya gotta act like you know when you don't know....It's okay if you don't know everything." --- Ben Folds

Offline Epicurious

• Brand New
  • Word.
« Reply #787 on: August 18, 2009, 07:58:45 AM »
Thunderf00t from YouTube fame. He does a great series called "Why people laugh at Creationists". Additionally, I saw a recent video where he 'debates' with Ray Comfort about religion.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #788 on: August 18, 2009, 11:08:01 AM »
Thunderf00t from YouTube fame. He does a great series called "Why people laugh at Creationists". Additionally, I saw a recent video where he 'debates' with Ray Comfort about religion.

I saw that. It was one of those debates that both sides seemed to tread water and didn't provoke an epiphany for the other side. I thought Thunderf00t was right in what he said and Comfort couldn't back with facts his side of the argument. There was just no gotcha moment where Comfort was stumped. Not that I thought there was going to be one it's just that it would be nice to see happen. At the end of the debate you can see that thunderf00t wanted to keep going and that he knew that this was going to be his only chance for a one on one with Comfort. You should all check it out on youtube it is interesting to watch. I think it is about an hour long.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Epicurious

• Brand New
  • Word.
« Reply #789 on: August 18, 2009, 11:39:38 AM »
I have seen a lot of Thunderf00t's videos and he has stated before that there is no point in arguing with a creationist, I am interested in why he changed his mind for this 'debate'. I think a lot of people out there were angry he didn't "let Ray have it". But it would be interesting to come to a method of 'shooting down' creationists. I think Thunderf00t should have focused more on the "I don't need god to be moral" angle, making God irrelevant to him personally. Then argue the case that his morals come from the evolution of ideas and what is right, before pulling all the unbelievable immoral stuff out of the bible. Read Deuteronomy for a good laugh - just for starters. Thundef00t may have come across as being immoral by playing to some of Ray's questions. e.g. the save a dog, save a neighbour question. He could have asked Ray, "Who would you save, a Christian who is not very nice, or a very pleasant Muslim?". I'm sure the bible has a view on this for starters...

Offline mattrogers

• Off to a Start
    • The Observer
« Reply #790 on: August 22, 2009, 01:15:52 AM »
I don't have a particular guest however I have been reading up on the beliefs and practices of Scientology and I would like to hear a more in depth discussion on that, i terms of its miss use of science and its wrong look at mental health.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits." - Albert Einstein

Offline Da5id

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #791 on: August 23, 2009, 08:24:26 PM »
How about a complete debunking of specific conspiracy theories. I understand this would take almost an entire episode but it would be very educational. An example would be like through every point that a 9/11 truther claims and debunking them. So basically know one in specific just an expert on specific conspiracy theory.
"If all the animals on the equator were capable of flattery, then Thanksgiving and Hallowe'en would fall on the same date."
-Danny Ocean

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #792 on: August 23, 2009, 09:07:50 PM »
Peter Sagal

+1

I don't have a particular guest however I have been reading up on the beliefs and practices of Scientology and I would like to hear a more in depth discussion on that, i terms of its miss use of science and its wrong look at mental health.

Also sounds like a good idea. Maybe you guys can interview high level Operating Thetan™ ex-Scientologist and go over some of their not-so-honest practices...

Offline Doggy

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #793 on: October 11, 2009, 05:34:44 AM »
The one and only Stephan Fry, the man is a legend.
Why do today what you can do tomorrow.

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #794 on: October 11, 2009, 06:16:38 PM »
Hey all --

To talk about guests on the podcast, you should go use this thread now:

http://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,22121.0.html
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

personate-rain