Author Topic: Any Musicians Here?  (Read 4160 times)

Offline TalkingBook

• Well Established
  • Superstition ain't the way...
Re: Any Musicians Here?
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2009, 04:07:56 PM »
I've played drums for about 10 years, bass for about 5 and guitar for about 2 or so. Before I moved out of the US I was playing with a band I really liked quite a bit, listen here if you're interested (indie/rock, whatever that means):

http://www.4shared.com/file/162961193/cb94ef34/01_Roses.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/162963530/5723653/03_Ghost.html

I recently joined a band here, and am experiencing being the most experienced member of the band for the first time in my life. To be completely honest it's somewhat frustrating. Our 'lead' guitarist hasn't been playing too long, and is still in the phase of trying to find something AWESOME to play for every part of song, even when it's completely uncalled-for. Our drummer on the other hand doesn't have great rhythm, which, being a drummer myself, irks me in a BIG way. We played our first concert about a month ago, and it was more or less a disaster. OK, I'll stop whining now, guess I needed to vent. :P

Music, woo! (not that kind of woo)
"Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study, and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think." ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty (1859)

Offline Spiney Njorel

• Off to a Start
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2009, 11:18:25 PM »
Long Time since I've logged in. I am a Guitar Player. Acoustic and Electric. Mostly Rock /Progressive rock. I also play some Mandolin.
I have been a guitar player for over 20 years. I play out locally and in several bands all the time for part time cash. I just ended a local cover band I was in for 10 years and I am in another.
I am finishing an album with a Philosophy Professor I know. The band is known as Aardvark Spleen. It's sort of Zappa-like. Naive in ways but entertaining. I'm hoping to plug it here when ready as the material has some skepticism for song material.
I plan on re-uniting a prog-rock band I was in in the mid 1990's called Meridian to record some original material we wrote. Back then but did not have access to the cool and quality home recording stuff available today. (I have it recorded on 4 track cassette which I transferred into Pro tools but I want to get everyone together to do it better). I also have an album of original work from the cover band I was in. That material was hard rock sort of Aerosmith and Audioslave . I also have music on Garageband from another Prog Rock studio thing I did for a while called Project Artifact. A long and tedious project that has gone on way too long. I like the material but think it could have been done better.
So I'm busy.

Offline otisdeezer

• Off to a Start
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2009, 07:14:12 PM »
I've been playing guitar for quite a while. Love the Blues, Metal, Classical. Currently on a Tori Amos kick, listening to her past two albums a lot. Recently wrote a straight-ahead rock song about Jenny Mcarthy, which I'm still working on recording. This video is one I posted on youtube a while back. I need to put some new ones up soon. Blues-Rock Guitar Improvisation
"I'm very scared to do it. What if I don't come back? With the whole light years thing, what if I come back 10,000 years later, and everyone I know is dead? I'll be like, 'Great. Now I have to start all over.'" Paris Hilton

Offline burpy

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2010, 01:15:46 PM »
I have been playing guitar for a number of years, but never really got good at it. Lately I have been struggling to lear how to use the new computer based recording technology. At first it was a massive slog, but I finally think that I´m getting my head around it.

As someone who has synesthesia, I am trying to create music that gives me big blocky colours or laser type flashes in my mind. If there are any other synesthetes out there, please let me know if that makes any sense to you.

This is my page on youtube, where I call myself Thierry Ennui. If you want to listen, just click on my uploaded videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/moogwol
Rejoice not at thine enemy's fall - but don't rush to pick him up either. - Jewish proverb.

Offline Rational Gaze

• Brand New
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2010, 12:24:37 AM »
Electric bass player here from Ireland.Been playing for 11 years.I've been in the same rock band for about 8 years now called Speedking.I suppose our style is hard rock with plenty of other infuences.I recently got another job playing with a local singer songwriter called Ben Reel.A bit funkier and mainstream.Personally I listen to all sorts of stuff ranging from Meshuggah to Erykah Badu & Charles Mingus to Jeff Buckley.Actually I'm just back from New York where I seen about 30 jazz act in 10 days.Blew my mind the amount of stuff you can see there & the standard of musianship.

Offline nocturnous

• Time Lord
  • Well Established
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2010, 03:32:30 AM »
Electric bass player here from Ireland.Been playing for 11 years.I've been in the same rock band for about 8 years now called Speedking.I suppose our style is hard rock with plenty of other infuences.I recently got another job playing with a local singer songwriter called Ben Reel.A bit funkier and mainstream.Personally I listen to all sorts of stuff ranging from Meshuggah to Erykah Badu & Charles Mingus to Jeff Buckley.Actually I'm just back from New York where I seen about 30 jazz act in 10 days.Blew my mind the amount of stuff you can see there & the standard of musianship.

Your user name is my favorite track off nothing. :)

Offline m-mischeif

• Off to a Start
    • http://www.myspace.com/chambercore
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2010, 09:22:33 AM »
I have been playing drums since i was 12, guitar since I was 16, piano since I was 18 and have been singing since I was 17.  (im 19 now)

I on a BA degree course in popular music at Leeds College of music, and I'm mainly a singer songwriter

Heres and example of me:

Another Day - Original Song by Marc Otway

My website: www.marcotway.co.uk

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2010, 09:27:22 PM »
Hey there,

Some good music and playing here! I'm another guitarist. I work as a full time composer of TV music.

Good to hear your stuff guys.

got any of your TV work online?
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline schubertiad

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Schubertiad's Music
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 10:59:05 PM »
Yes.  I'm a composer/songwriter/singer/musician.  I write in a wide variety of styles, including choral/classical, indie rock, indie pop, folk, techno, country...whatever I'm inspired to write.  I play guitar, bass, ukulele, a bit of keyboards, a little percussion, and record all the parts myself (although the drums--when I use them--are usually programmed, since I don't have a kit).

Here's my latest release, an acoustic song inspired by Irish folk (but extending into a richer harmonic palette):

Marta and the Soldier

You can find more at:

schubertiad.bandcamp.com
The universe is the way it is regardless of your philosophy or religion, and science is a way to understand it as it is. If it doesn't line up with your philosophy or religion, it's time to learn anew.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2010, 06:03:27 AM »
I've been trained for woodwinds from about age six by an amazingly talented classical teacher, but stopped about seven years later and forgot almost even though I started again relatively fast, but on my own. I played the flute and the tin whistle in a friend's band and attended some irish music sessions until they withered away. I still play three kinds of flute (Irish, Chinese and a folk flute from the Balkans) but only occasionally.

I started playing the guitar a few years ago, but only got into it seriously in the past two years and now I'm at a level when I can actually play in front of people. Currently I'm trying to get an American folk ban together, but it seems I'm on a wrong part of the planet for that. Maybe I'll just start busking.

I also play the darbuka and the mandolin, very badly.

Offline Beams

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Never trust a psychic with a doorbell
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2010, 11:51:02 AM »
I've been playing violin for about 10 years now. I had never played an instrument as a child, but after I started listening to classical music, I decided I wanted to learn something. My wife's a piano teacher, so that wasn't going to work. Yes, I'd get free lessons, but I'd be practicing with my teacher listening...(shudder). So, I picked violin since I liked the sound of it. That was before I heard what it sounds like in the hands of a beginner. I've mostly been playing classical music, but I'll mess around with jigs, reels, and other folk stuff occasionally.

By the way, does anyone know any somewhat easier 20th/21st century "classical" pieces for piano and violin? The scores I've seen in music stores are usually beyond my ability. For what it's worth, my teacher is a Suzuki teacher, although he modifies it some for adults. I'm in book 5, to give you an idea of where my skills are.
"Eyesight should learn from reason." - Kepler

Offline Zabulon

• Fails the Turing-test
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • Foxhole atheist
    • My band
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2010, 12:00:21 PM »
Latest work by yours truly -> Portal of Zabulon - "Vanquish" (industrial metal or something).

Portal of Zabulon is my little solo project where I do most of the work myself - composing, programming, playing, mixing and pseudo-mastering. Haven't gotten around to tracking vocals on this one yet.
In Cod we Trust

Offline schubertiad

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Schubertiad's Music
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2010, 03:32:53 PM »
Latest work by yours truly -> Portal of Zabulon - "Vanquish" (industrial metal or something).

Portal of Zabulon is my little solo project where I do most of the work myself - composing, programming, playing, mixing and pseudo-mastering. Haven't gotten around to tracking vocals on this one yet.

Which instruments are you playing on this track?  Which are sampled and which are programmed? 
The universe is the way it is regardless of your philosophy or religion, and science is a way to understand it as it is. If it doesn't line up with your philosophy or religion, it's time to learn anew.

Offline Zabulon

• Fails the Turing-test
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • Foxhole atheist
    • My band
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2010, 03:45:31 PM »
I play the rhythm guitars, the occasional guitar fills, and the bass guitar. The drums and other percussive elements I've programmed by hand, bar a couple of lo-fi loops in the verse. I've programmed the piano parts and the strings as well. The guitar solo before the outro is done by a friend of mine, I'm really not a very technically proficient guitar player (I'm chiefly a drummer).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 04:00:01 PM by Zabulon »
In Cod we Trust

personate-rain