Author Topic: Ken Feder  (Read 11653 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Ken Feder
« on: August 10, 2006, 08:00:37 AM »
Next week we will have Ken Feder on the show. He is a skeptical archaeologist. If you have any questions for Ken let us know before we record (we are recording on Tuesday the 15th).
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline Leigh

• Off to a Start
Ken Feder
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 11:06:13 AM »
Does, (for want of a better word) mainstream archaeology receive any funding from the religious domain?
I am also curious to know who is funding the pseudo-archaeologists.
Bottom line me thinks: The religious folk would surely love to give old Charlie and his 'theory' a swift kick in the happy sacs by finding something in the fossil record to support their argument..no??
quot;When you hear people in church debasing themselves and saying that they are miserable sinners, and all the rest of it, it seems contemptible and not worthy of self-respecting human beings": Bertrand Russell
www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/library.html

Offline gost

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Ken Feder
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 06:59:21 AM »
It has been stated in the past that professional archaeologists should always ignore the claims of pseudoarchaeology since any comment tends to lend an air of legitimacy to the claimant. Yet the supposed 12,000 year old "Bosnian Pyramid" has drawn international news media attention and the excavation work of Semir Osmanagic and his host of untrained volunteers is threatening valid Medieval, Roman, Illyrian, and even possible Neolithic archaeological sites. How should the archaeological community address these sorts of issues?

Offline Wonko the Sane

• Well Established
Ken Feder
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 07:56:12 PM »
I wonder how he feels about pusedoscientists who have a poor understanding of his field, but use it as validation for their claims, with such statements as "humans couldn't of built the pyramids" or "scientists don’t know how the statues got onto Easter island"
'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

"People in bamboo houses should not throw pandas" -Jesus

Offline JohnMaddox

• Off to a Start
Ken Feder
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 09:20:07 PM »
I would enjoy hearing Dr. Feder's take on Michael Cremo, the author of "Forbidden Archeology".  In case you're not familiar with Cremo, he has a webpage.   Be careful, this site has a very high woo-woo quotient.   :)

His book is basically a list of "anomalous" archeological discoveries that suggest mankind existed on earth millions of years ago.  He is also an evolution-denier.  According to Cremo, mankind is devolving instead of evolving.   Like I said, lots of woo-woo.  

-John

Offline Sam

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • http://home.no.net/bigsam
Ken Feder
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 04:31:33 AM »
You obviously could dedicate an entire series to the BS of charlatans like Erich von Däniken alone - not to mention Ron Wyatt!

I also think it would be interesting to hear Feders view on the archeological research of Israel Finkelstein and Neil A. Silberman on the historicity of the old testament. To me their evidence seem compelling, but just about every religious person i ever discussed with dismiss the arguments completely out of hand (what a surprise...).

Finally, it would be nice if Feder would comment on the fake James Ossuary, since this obvious piece of forgery is still presented as evidence by several christians i've discussed with.
http://www.archaeology.org/online/features/ossuary/index.html
Inventing excuses to believe is not the same as having good reasons to believe.

Offline chris

• Off to a Start
Ken Feder
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 06:26:20 AM »
I too would like to hear an overview of the archaeological evidence for and against what is written in the Bible.  

Also, I don't know if the 15th century is too recent for an archeologist, but I'd be interested to know Mr Feder's opinion of Gavin Menzie's "1421: The Year China Discovered the World".

Offline gost

Ken Feder
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 10:47:42 PM »
Hey Steve. When you post these requests for questions for upcoming guests, could you also post any appropriate links that would help us learn about them?

That would be awwwsome. (<---- Jay made me say that.)

Offline Rustle

• The Number You Are Thinking Of
Ken Feder
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 06:34:00 PM »
I'm looking forward to hearing about his new album, and what his life was like before Britney.

Online mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
Ken Feder
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 07:46:53 PM »
Quote from: "JohnMaddox"
I would enjoy hearing Dr. Feder's take on Michael Cremo, the author of "Forbidden Archeology".  In case you're not familiar with Cremo, he has a webpage.   Be careful, this site has a very high woo-woo quotient.   :)

His book is basically a list of "anomalous" archeological discoveries that suggest mankind existed on earth millions of years ago.  He is also an evolution-denier.  According to Cremo, mankind is devolving instead of evolving.   Like I said, lots of woo-woo.  

-John

I totally second that one. Cremo is your classic pseudoscientist. He keeps advancing as anomalies things that have been demonstrated to him as having conventional explanations. For example, the Meister Print. Two rock chips in a field of rock chips look like human foot prints. Geologists tell him they're just rock chips. But he keeps offering them as foot prints but never addresses the rock chip explanation.

He's big in the Vedic/Hare Krishna community which, oddly, also rejects evolution based on time frame. But they go the other way. Their universe isn't 6,000 years old but a trillion years old and human have been walking on earth for hundreds of millions of years.

Also there's that Japanese "pyramid" under the ocean.

http://www.morien-institute.org/yonaguni.html
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Manny G.

• Not Enough Spare Time
Ken Feder
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 10:18:09 PM »
Would love to hear what he thinks about the Exodus: Decoded docudrama.

I talked about it here:  http://www.skepchick.org/skepticsguide/viewtopic.php?t=444&highlight=exodus
--
"Life expectancy is probably the single most effective index of quality of life: If you're dead, you're probably not having a good time." -- Carl Sagan

Offline Durnett

• Off to a Start
Ken Feder
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 10:26:41 AM »
Ken Feder! Hot dog! Here's my list of topics:

-What's the point of archeology? Sure, we want to learn about our ancient past and how we came to be the civilization that we are. Unearthing signs of early agriculture contributes to our understanding, but does unearthing Troy or looking for tombs in the Valley fo the Kings do that?
-Are advances in DNA Analysis of human "races" changing the way that archeologists work?
-Boy, do I ever want to hear a review of Exodus: Decoded!
-Which of the various theories of pre-Columbian contact with the Americas are fact and which are fiction? Did the Chinese sail to the New World? How about the Greeks? Vikings were in Canada, but were they in Oklahoma?
-Over the past couple of decades, there have been some claims in Russia about rediscovering the pre-Christian history and religions of the region. Are these good archeology or nationalism disguised as archeology?
-Where's the line between archeology and paleontology? If someone digs up a Neaderthal site, is that archeology? What if they dig up Australopithicus fossils?
-Is "Biblical Archeology" a good use of time and resources? I really want to know if they dig up Jesus Christ, but are there better ways to spend our resources than finding the cave in which John the Baptist may or may not have slept?
-If some archeological find were to change our world, where would it be most likely to come from? What are the archeological "hot spots?"

Offline Freeman74

• http://www.myspace.com\freeman74
Ken Feder
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 11:22:52 AM »
Ken Feder was a guest on Episode #56. This thread was started for that episode. Ken may be coming on in the future, but unless I missed something he is not currently scheduled to be a guest again.

Rustle revived this thread with his joke causing the confusion, I think.

Thanks a lot Rustle! :D
quot;Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." - Homer Simpson

Offline Durnett

• Off to a Start
Ken Feder
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 12:19:14 PM »
I'm glad Rustle brought it back up! I've been agitating for a Ken Feder repeat. I'm glad to see that a few others are interested, too.

Offline Freeman74

• http://www.myspace.com\freeman74
Ken Feder
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 12:24:36 PM »
Quote from: "Durnett"
I'm glad Rustle brought it back up! I've been agitating for a Ken Feder repeat. I'm glad to see that a few others are interested, too.

Maybe Steve or one of the other hosts will see the renewed interest and try to get him on again.
quot;Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." - Homer Simpson

personate-rain