Author Topic: Ken Feder  (Read 11654 times)

Offline joshbuddy

• Off to a Start
Ken Feder
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 01:12:49 PM »
Some discussion of radiocarbon dating would be nice...

Offline Joe Shmoe

• Chief Rape Apologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
Ken Feder
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 02:03:09 PM »
You guys do realize that this is from like the middle of August?

Offline joshbuddy

• Off to a Start
Ken Feder
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 05:06:13 PM »
GAH! Someone hurry up and invent time travel. Linearity be damned!

*j*

Offline Timothy Clemans

• Seasoned Contributor
Ken Feder
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 05:58:37 PM »
"Having discovered that it is possible, according to general reality, to take a wormhole with two mouths and turn it into a time machine, my students and I then searched for some way, some mechanism to prevent this from really happening in the real universe because we thought it was ludicrous. You shouldn't be able to do that, and we actually found a mechanism that in fact we were able to show always intervenes whenever you try to make a time machine."
"Suppose that I have two wormhole mouths that I'm going to turn into a time machine. Of course I do it by taking that mouth and sending it off at high speed out into space. It turns around and it comes back and just as it's on its way back it suddenly becomes a time machine and one can travel through it and get back before one's started. Right as it's coming back and settling in, just before the moment when it can become a time machine, suddenly, according to calculations we've done, it explodes. Poof - no more wormholes, no more time machine. The question is why, what made that happen?"
"It appeared to us that just as that mechanism was about to in fact make your time machine explode, at the moment you're trying to activate it, right at that moment our calculations would fail because the new laws of physics, the new laws of quantum gravity, would take over and the techniques we had of computing what happens would no longer be any good."
"He got rather disturbed because Stephen is a defender of the establishment and he really believed that this really would be the mechanism to prevent you ever from making a time machine, and said they've not correctly read the tea-leaves of what quantum gravity is going to do. Ultimately after going back and forth with Stephen several times we converged to an agreement that he was probably right, we were wrong and the explosion probably will destroy the time machine. But we can't be absolutely sure, we won't know absolutely for sure until we have the full laws of quantum gravity in our hands and we can explore just what they say about the end point of the explosion."
"It's not a principle, it's not a theorem, it's a conjecture because we do not yet know for certain that there is a mechanism in nature that will always enforce it."
"I believe we will know in ten to 15 years when we have the full laws of quantum gravity in our hands. My best guess, and I would be willing to lay a fairly heavy odds on this on a bet with Hawking but he won't take the other side, my best guess is that when we have those full laws in our hands they will say no, you cannot make a time machine and go backward in time ever. But until we have those full laws we just have to leave it as a possibility that remains a possibility."

Kip Throne, http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/transcripts/2612time.html
url=http://www.theskepticsguide.org][/url]

Online mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
Ken Feder
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2006, 08:26:30 PM »
Fak :) You know the guest DID sound familiar. Wasn't he talking about the Bosian pyramid? Okay if they have him back on again...

But really, show/guest that addresses Cremo's "Forbidden Archeology" would be pretty cool.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

personate-rain