Author Topic: Episode #91  (Read 13557 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #91
« on: April 21, 2007, 09:49:56 AM »
Podcast #91 4/18/2007
Interview with Susan Blackmore
News Items: More ID Nonsense from Dr. Michael Egnor, Criminalizing Holocaust Denial
Science or Fiction
Skeptical Puzzle
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Students! The muses are silent.
    • ILS
Episode #91
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 10:29:19 AM »
Just downloaded it, Sabbie and I will be listening right away!  8)

Offline cosmicvagabond

• Frequent Poster
Episode #91
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 12:27:49 PM »
Happy anniversary Rebecca!!  :D
Bold ideas, unjustified anticipations, and speculative thoughts are our only means for interpreting nature... Those among us who are unwilling to expose their ideas to the hazard of refutation do not take part in the scientific game.    ---Karl Popper, "The Logic of Scientific Discovery"

Offline Ciro

• Not Enough Spare Time
Episode #91
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 12:40:29 PM »
listening now... Ms. Blackmore sure has a lot to say.
 have found that the more educated I get, the less I want to do with you smarmy assholes and your obsession with pushing your ideals on other people and and killing their buzz because you think you're helping them.

Offline cosmicvagabond

• Frequent Poster
Episode #91
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 12:48:01 PM »
On the Holocaust Denial law... Rebecca had it absolutely right. The best way to deal with idiotic conspiracy theories is to give them plenty of exposure and then counter their arguments with evidence, logic and reason.

Quote from: "Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis"
Sunshine is the best disinfectant.
Bold ideas, unjustified anticipations, and speculative thoughts are our only means for interpreting nature... Those among us who are unwilling to expose their ideas to the hazard of refutation do not take part in the scientific game.    ---Karl Popper, "The Logic of Scientific Discovery"

Offline cosmicvagabond

• Frequent Poster
Episode #91
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 01:34:46 PM »
Why did Jay claim to have passed Perry in Science or Fiction? According to Jason, as of Episode 90 Jay was at 31.9% and Perry was 32.3%

Let's be precise here... I've got 25 bucks riding on the answer.  :wink:

Offline a3maniac

• Happy birthday Goddess AKA a3maniac
  • Seasoned Contributor
Episode #91
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 01:57:02 PM »
Happy anniversary, Rebbeca!
Google is your friend.

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Students! The muses are silent.
    • ILS
Episode #91
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 03:55:53 PM »
I was also surprised at Jay mentioning that. Wishful thinking, or is he right?

Good to have had Rebecca here for a year. You could've done many more cool quotes though. It was funny to remember Rebecca as interviewee. To me that wasn't too long ago, since I caught up with all the episodes only months ago.

Offline jason

• Frequent Poster
Episode #91
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 04:43:57 PM »
Quote from: "cosmicvagabond"
Why did Jay claim to have passed Perry in Science or Fiction? According to Jason, as of Episode 90 Jay was at 31.9% and Perry was 32.3%

Let's be precise here... I've got 25 bucks riding on the answer.

You'll have the answer in a few hours. Hang tight!
quot;Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick
"Scientific skepticism: the buck stops at reality."

Offline jason

• Frequent Poster
Episode #91
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 05:26:23 PM »
Quote from: "cosmicvagabond"

As you'll see from the latest rankings (just posted here), Jay has overtaken Perry, but this happened back in episode #89. Last week Mike let me know he'd found some problems in the results from the back episodes, which have now been incorporated into the latest rankings.

I'd suggest your $25 bet was voided by the fact that the claim was made based on the updated numbers, rather than what you were working from, Cosmic.
quot;Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick
"Scientific skepticism: the buck stops at reality."

Offline moneyman1490

• Seasoned Contributor
Episode #91
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 05:44:23 PM »
Great episode everybody, and Happy anniversary to our skepchick!  (you sounded so innocent back in the first few shows :D )
kidoo, in response to CapeRoadie's threat of Libel
Quote from: "skidoo"
Your documented evasiveness and dishonesty leads me to no other conclusion: You're a dangerous quack. How's that for a retraction?

Put up or shut up!!!

Offline falseguilt

• Off to a Start
Episode #91
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 08:45:42 PM »
The interview with Susan Blackmore was awesome. I'm glad you guys finally addressed consciousness on a deeper level. It's been on my mind a lot lately. I truly appreciated the way in which Steven concluded the interview. I've calculated the risk involved in sounding cheesy and I'd like to add that it reaffirmed my suspicions that this is a beautiful thing which I endure.

A sincere thanks to all for the podcast and congrats for the well deserved success!

Offline nick mallory

• Off to a Start
Susan Blackmore
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 11:31:34 PM »
Scratch the surface and though she doesn't believe in souls or ghosts anymore, Susan Blackmore is as wacky as anyone who's ever appeared on the programme.  Where is consciousness coming from if not the brain?  For all her quibbling over the definition of 'illusion' she really believes that consciousness doesn't exist, and so, if you read her other writings, she denies the existence of individuality, human choice, free will, objective reality and everything else.  This means you don't lock up up murders in her world.

She's not a scientist, she's someone playing with language until she disappears up her own bottom instead of actually doing any work.  Her insights are based on 'meditation' and drug trips and metaphysical nonsense rather any any actual research or experimentation.   Her batty articles for the Guardian's Comment is Free on this and other topics get regularly savaged by the readers by the way.  Given her 13 year old's hair do she certainly doesn't suffer from any hint of self consciousness herself.

Offline cosmicvagabond

• Frequent Poster
Episode #91
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 11:55:55 PM »
Quote from: "jason"
I'd suggest your $25 bet was voided by the fact that the claim was made based on the updated numbers, rather than what you were working from, Cosmic.

Naw... I don't mind donating to such a fine organization. Actually, I was kinda rooting for Jay.  :wink:

Evan, you're next on the hit list!

Offline VicBooth9000

• Off to a Start
Episode #91
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 03:00:23 AM »
Where is consciousness coming from if not the brain?

I don't think she believes believes in "consciousness." Therefore it comes from nothing. She believes in brain processes, I'm assuming. A little more elaboration would have been nice for the layperson who does not understand what she's getting at.

she denies the existence of individuality, human choice, free will, objective reality and everything else.

Does she really not beleive in objective reality? This may be the case, but I believe what she means is that, being unable to transcend subjective experiences keeps us isolated from objective reality. Natural laws exist and so forth, but we are perhaps unable to experience them as they are. This is sort of a no brainer, no? No, I'm not a postmodernist, this just seems like a fairly simply concept to understand: a rat experiences the world in a different manner than a human --- yet both rats and humans exist in a world judged by the same laws. Why is disbelieving in free will intrinsically bad? Is this suddenly pseudoscience? It's speculative, of course, but by no means idiotic.

This means you don't lock up up murders in her world.

This is incorrect. I believe on Point of Inquiry she made clear that she was a strict determinist, yet still 'acted' as if she were responsible. If we did not adopt some responsibility for our actions, we would live in a chaotic world. So, murderers would be locked up. Unless she has stated something to the contrary elsewhere, I believe your assertion is baseless.

She's not a scientist, she's someone playing with language until she disappears up her own bottom instead of actually doing any work.

Language is tricky. I think she's written a few books though...

Her insights are based on 'meditation' and drug trips and metaphysical nonsense rather any any actual research or experimentation.

The fact that she was influenced by said experiences does not mean that the main body of her work was derived from them. The only book I have of hers is "Consciousness: A Very Short Introduction." It doesn't seem like it is completely based upon research stemming from her pastimes.

Her batty articles for the Guardian's Comment is Free on this and other topics get regularly savaged by the readers by the way.

Evolution is regularly raped by a majority of the American population.

Given her 13 year old's hair do she certainly doesn't suffer from any hint of self consciousness herself.

That's not a fallacy...  :roll:

personate-rain