Author Topic: Cant find your thread here? Look in...  (Read 26195 times)

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
Cant find your thread here? Look in...
« on: December 03, 2009, 05:50:06 PM »
...Alternative Hypotheses Ongoing Discussions Global Warming.

GW's mission is to provide a place to discuss global warming at length.

Threads may move there without warning, so please look there before you conclude that your thread has been deleted.  (Deleting threads is something I avoid doing at almost all costs.)

I'll leave this thread unlocked so you can express joy or outrage, as you will, at this new setup.  :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:32:41 PM by Beleth »
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Joe B

• Quasi-Jock
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Now with Preposterone
Re: Cant find your thread here? Look in...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 05:53:34 PM »
I browse the forum via the "Show unread posts since last visit" so it doesn't effect me, but it sounds like a good idea.
You underestimate the amount of people who are literally Hitler.
-Colts Homer

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 06:04:51 PM »
Why is my communism thread not there? This blows. :(
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 06:11:57 PM by Sordid »

Offline ♫♪ FX ♪♫

• Earnest Young Man
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Plutonium is your friend!
    • Is it working?
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 06:05:31 PM »
I protest this move!
It is difficult to believe that a man is telling the truth when you know that you would lie if you were in his place. - H.L. Mencken

“That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons history has to teach.” - Aldous Huxley

Offline ♫♪ FX ♪♫

• Earnest Young Man
    • Is it working?
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 06:09:23 PM »
How do you get to the sub forum?
It is difficult to believe that a man is telling the truth when you know that you would lie if you were in his place. - H.L. Mencken

“That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons history has to teach.” - Aldous Huxley

Offline ♫♪ FX ♪♫

• Earnest Young Man
    • Is it working?
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 06:09:56 PM »
Never mind, I see it now.

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 06:14:15 PM »
I'm skeptical. Doesn't the alternative hypothesis of science qualify in the skepticism talk in this section?
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 06:28:35 PM »
I'm skeptical. Doesn't the alternative hypothesis of science qualify in the skepticism talk in this section?

Yes, which is why AH is a child board of Skep/Sci instead of a totally separate board.

When presented with objective, scientific data, there are three ways of treating it:

1) Decide that it's insufficient to come to a conclusion.
2) Conclude that the mainstream conclusion is correct.
3) Conclude that another conclusion besides the mainstream one is correct.

The first two belong in Skep/Sci. The third goes in AH.
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The universe seems ...merely indifferent.
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 06:34:48 PM »

Yes, which is why AH is a child board of Skep/Sci instead of a totally separate board.

When presented with objective, scientific data, there are three ways of treating it:

1) Decide that it's insufficient to come to a conclusion.
2) Conclude that the mainstream conclusion is correct.
3) Conclude that another conclusion besides the mainstream one is correct.

The first two belong in Skep/Sci. The third goes in AH.

Is this about how the OP treats the subject matter, or about how the source material (ie. link, article, etc.) treats the subject matter? For example, I might post an article that claims dinosaurs walked with men, but I would not agree with that hypothesis.

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 08:20:55 PM »
Is this about how the OP treats the subject matter, or about how the source material (ie. link, article, etc.) treats the subject matter? For example, I might post an article that claims dinosaurs walked with men, but I would not agree with that hypothesis.

It's about the subject matter itself.  Since the mainstream conclusion is "dinosaurs did not walk with man", a thread presenting a conclusion that dinosaurs walked with man would go into AH whether the thread starter agreed with that conclusion or not.

This is probably a good place to say that this is division is going to be more subjective than usual here, and that there will be a lot of threads that don't get moved into AH that probably should.  It's a complicated issue.

And I fully understand the negative connotations of being called "alternative" in this context.  I don't want threads there to be looked down on, but I'm enough of a realist to know that it's probably inevitable.  I want AH to be a place where people can more freely discuss controversial scientific issues.  I see it developing the same sort of atmosphere that Politics has: full of outspoken, well-read, opinionated folks calling each other on their half-baked conclusions.  :)
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
"Alternative Hypotheses" is now "Ongoing Discussions"
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 03:13:59 PM »
Upon review, we have decided to tweak the child board of Skepticism/Science a little.

It's not going to house just alternative hypotheses.  It's going to house all skeptical/scientific topics that have led to a long-term discussion.

This means that some mainstream threads (like the ones that say global warming is indeed anthropogenic) will move into it... and some non-mainstream but short-term threads will be moving back into Skep/Sci.

This might take a few days to sort out, so please be patient while this process happens!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 03:35:29 PM by Beleth »
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline ♫♪ FX ♪♫

• Earnest Young Man
    • Is it working?
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 03:17:20 PM »
Oh no.  I know what this means ....

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
  • Dumb, in a pocket, and proud of it.
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 03:28:39 PM »
Will post-whoring, twitter, etc., count as ongoing discussions? It would be nice if I could exclude those from the daily new posts page.
I'm a skeptic. Not a "skepdude". Not a "man skeptic". Just a skeptic.

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 03:37:15 PM »
Will post-whoring, twitter, etc., count as ongoing discussions? It would be nice if I could exclude those from the daily new posts page.

Sorry; I was a bit vague on that.  OD will only house ongoing discussions that fall into the Skepticism/Science category.  Nothing in General or Politics or other areas will be moved into OD.

I have now edited my post above to reflect that.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline ♫♪ FX ♪♫

• Earnest Young Man
    • Is it working?
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 03:57:57 PM »
All the complaints do wear on one.

personate-rain