Author Topic: Who won the war for Christmas?  (Read 593 times)

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
Who won the war for Christmas?
« on: December 20, 2009, 10:01:36 AM »
There was some talk in skeptical circles about making Tim Minchin's song the #1 song on the UK charts for this week.

There was a bit more stink over the other "grass-roots" movement for that title.  There was a big push to make RATM's "Killing in the Name" #1 in order to beat out whatever X-factor bullshit that would normally win the title.

Simon Cowell was reportedly upset by the whole thing.  BBC radio invited RATM for in interview and live performance...which was caught on camera.  Below is the video which was filmed live and put on the BBC web site (and later yanked).

http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/SfZGUdcBBLc

That whole thing didn't get broadcast.  They got to that last part and they cut the feed.  It was such a Doors on Sullivan moment....or Cash at the Opry.  Good shit.

Anyway, I'm not in the UK so my vote wouldn't have counted anyway.  Still, I'm interested in what the numbers were.

"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking