Author Topic: I just had to share.  (Read 1575 times)

Offline jaypee

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Astronaut Mike Dexter
I just had to share.
« on: February 09, 2010, 04:48:19 PM »
some kid who works for my mom just asked me if he could buy my 1969 Fender Twin Reverb for $150.

buahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

if it weren't so ridiculous I'd cry.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline Beams

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Never trust a psychic with a doorbell
Re: I just had to share.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 08:40:24 AM »
I'll bid $160.

Oh, wait, this isn't E-Bay, is it? Sorry.
"Eyesight should learn from reason." - Kepler

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 08:59:02 AM »
you can't even buy "re-makes" of that amp for less than $1500, it's a piece of rock and roll history.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline Beams

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Never trust a psychic with a doorbell
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 05:36:47 PM »
I figured there was a comma in the real price. Sorry, but I couldn't resist.
"Eyesight should learn from reason." - Kepler

Offline MountainManPan

• Banned
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 05:55:06 PM »
Why is this in the music forum?

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 06:37:06 PM »
Because it being a thread about a guitar amp makes it tangentially related to music.

Offline TalkingBook

• Well Established
  • Superstition ain't the way...
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 07:16:52 PM »
A few years back my uncle, who knows nothing about music equipment, bought a blackface Fender Vibro Champ ('66 I think) from a guy who apparently knew even less about music equipment at a garage sale for $20(!) It was a bit dusty, but it cleaned up very nicely and more importantly, worked perfectly and the tubes were even in reasonable shape still. After I invested a bit of time and energy cleaning the thing up he gave it to me, though unfortunately I couldn't bring it over when I moved over here.

I miss that amp.
"Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study, and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think." ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty (1859)

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 09:22:37 PM »
A few years back my uncle, who knows nothing about music equipment, bought a blackface Fender Vibro Champ ('66 I think) from a guy who apparently knew even less about music equipment at a garage sale for $20(!) It was a bit dusty, but it cleaned up very nicely and more importantly, worked perfectly and the tubes were even in reasonable shape still. After I invested a bit of time and energy cleaning the thing up he gave it to me, though unfortunately I couldn't bring it over when I moved over here.

I miss that amp.

woah.

I mean.. mine is a beater and I paid $425 for it back 1998, and I thought I was getting a bargain..

but woah. you could literally make a 500% profit on the resale of that.

Offline GoodDerf

• Frequent Poster
  • Accidental King Math
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 12:26:26 AM »

I miss that amp.

woah.

I mean.. mine is a beater and I paid $425 for it back 1998, and I thought I was getting a bargain..

500% profit would be him selling it for $120.

Offline TalkingBook

• Well Established
  • Superstition ain't the way...
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 04:09:14 AM »

I miss that amp.

woah.

I know, I couldn't believe it. My cousin is taking care of it right now; I don't think I could bring myself to sell it even at ~$700 (going rate on Ebay) just because of the cool backstory, plus it's the only piece of vintage equipment I have save an even older Gibson amp which is sadly more or less beat to hell. Actually, I think I got that one from my uncle as well. Nice guy, my uncle.
"Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study, and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think." ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty (1859)

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 09:10:55 AM »

I miss that amp.

woah.

500% profit would be him selling it for $120.

crap.

I meant 50-fold.

my brain wasn't working too well. I had just completely bombed a pre-calculus test and wasn't feeling too good about it.

I know, I couldn't believe it. My cousin is taking care of it right now; I don't think I could bring myself to sell it even at ~$700 (going rate on Ebay) just because of the cool backstory, plus it's the only piece of vintage equipment I have save an even older Gibson amp which is sadly more or less beat to hell. Actually, I think I got that one from my uncle as well. Nice guy, my uncle.

a janitor at my high school gave me a Domino Baron which he had found while cleaning out a storage area at this condo complex he moonlighted as the manager of. I can't find any prices for it, but I feel like it's gotta be worth something.

here's what it looks like

http://powerstump.tripod.com/vintagedominoguitars/id4.html
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 09:19:13 AM by jaypee »

personate-rain