Author Topic: Is sguforums.com a search engine?  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
  • Dumb, in a pocket, and proud of it.
Is sguforums.com a search engine?
« on: March 19, 2010, 06:46:13 AM »
I've just checked the web log for the server where I store my avatar, and I see sguforums.com is listed as a search engine, along with Google etc.

What is this about? Does the forum identify itself as a search engine when loading avatars?
I'm a skeptic. Not a "skepdude". Not a "man skeptic". Just a skeptic.

Offline Dolomedes

• Seasoned Contributor
    • RatioBlog
Re: Is sguforums.com a search engine?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 12:11:29 PM »
The forum does not load your avatar. The browsers of the forum users load the avatar, and they list the forum as the refering URL. It's the web log analyzer who counts these refering URLs as a search engine (for whatever reason). The forum itself is not involved.
Warning: I have a brain, and I know how to use it.

50 Books for 2009 and 2010

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 02:09:57 PM »
The forum does not load your avatar. The browsers of the forum users load the avatar, and they list the forum as the refering URL. It's the web log analyzer who counts these refering URLs as a search engine (for whatever reason). The forum itself is not involved.

Good point! So what on earth was "sguforums.com" doing listed in my weblog as a search engine, I wonder?

0   Search Engines (4)
-   sguforums.com   
-   translate.googleusercontent.com   
-   images.google.co.id   

Offline ricree

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 03:10:08 PM »
Best bet would probably be to look at your logging software and see what factors they use to classify something as a search engine.

It's probably more likely to get results than trying to guess it from the forum's behavior.

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 04:18:03 PM »
Best bet would probably be to look at your logging software and see what factors they use to classify something as a search engine.

It's probably more likely to get results than trying to guess it from the forum's behavior.

Well, it's not my logging software, it's a log file generated by my web provider. There doesn't seem to be anything odd about the img tag in the html generated by the forum, so I assume the sguforums.com bit must be the referrer. The part of the log entry containing sguforums.com is the url of the forum page being displayed.

So you're right, I now need to find out why the ISP's logging software interprets a referrer as a search engine. It's been helpful to get some pointers from people here in the forum, though.

Interesting to see from the log that it's been accessed by a Google Image search on the terms "funny avatar" ... :)