Author Topic: Suggestion: Good Post/Bad Post Mod  (Read 6081 times)

Offline barocon

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Now we are at the edge of excitement!
Suggestion: Good Post/Bad Post Mod
« on: March 24, 2010, 09:26:25 PM »
I've been thinking about this for some time so I looked at the SMF website and Bam! Just what I was looking for.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1890

This Mod will add post voting to your forum in a user-moderated fashion. The outcome is a bit of help to the forum moderators, with the nice extra that it resembles democracy a little. It gives members and moderators a general idea of who's a worthy poster and who isn't.

I think this might encourage people to write better posts and spam a bit less.

We probably should set the bad post threshold really high or disable negative votes so we wouldn't censor anyone. 8)

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
Re: Suggestion: Good Post/Bad Post Mod
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 09:32:27 PM »
you weren't around for the "Karma" debacle, so i can't hold this against you. :P

i can see it being a good idea, but i can also see it ending in tears and flame wars.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline I am Nintendo

• Evil Spawn #1
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Worshiper of Arceus
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 09:48:33 PM »
you weren't around for the "Karma" debacle, so i can't hold this against you. :P

i can see it being a good idea, but i can also see it ending in tears and flame wars.

Flame Wars!

:falconpunch:  :flame:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 09:50:10 PM by I am Nintendo »
One man's psychopath is another man's prophet.

Offline barocon

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 10:09:25 PM »
I doubt anyone would be offended if we disabled negative voting and "Show Respect gathered by users".

But whatever, I think it would be a fun feature but not really necessary if people don't want it.

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 10:22:19 PM »
I doubt anyone would be offended if we disabled negative voting and "Show Respect gathered by users".

But whatever, I think it would be a fun feature but not really necessary if people don't want it.

hey, if negative voting can be disabled, it sounds much less likely to incite riots. thoughts, anyone but me?

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 11:22:52 PM »
I remember the karma (surely we could have come up with something better to call it?) debacle... but I don't remember why it was a debacle. People went mad with the downvotes?

People write "+1" as a nod to an especially great or funny post... what if we actually collated the points  ;) ? Oftentimes I wish I could just respond "Hey... good post, Hanes" but I don't feel like that justifies another post. A point system would allow us to give feedback without cluttering the main thread of the discussion.

Like all internet scoring systems, the points would be meaningless; but each user could have their most appreciated posts listed in their profile, the forum could have a hall of honor for top posters...

Maybe we should differentiate +1 Funny, +1 Interesting, +1 Good like sensibleErection does it.

I like the idea myself, but then I have a thing for automating data collection and inventing ways to rank people.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The universe seems ...merely indifferent.
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 11:33:38 PM »
Meh....the karma thing was stupid because it turned into retaliatory and pre-agreed vote -rigging just for status. Look at the effort people put into padding their post count for added status. Seems like so much pointless circle-jerking.

Just my opinion, though. Not going die on a silly hill like this, if someone decides to give it another shot. :-\

Offline cerveauxfrits

• Reef Tank Owner
  • chickened out
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 11:51:42 PM »
In other forums where I've seen such a system, it did nothing to encourage post quality.  On the contrary, it encourages a sort of race to the bottom.  Some people post-whore in an attempt to get upvotes, and other people go off the handle if they get a lot of downvotes.  And it lets people hide behind the wall of anonymity that the button creates, so people invariably abuse the system by doing things like downvoting everything someone they don't like posts as a matter of course.

The folks who are the most intellectually engaged are generally be the ones who ignore the popularity contests and associated trifles that points systems are most useful for, and instead focus on the thing that actually conveys intellectual value: the words of the post.

Offline barocon

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 12:13:18 AM »
Yeah I agree but the admins would disable downvoting and hide points gathered for everyone.

Egoists would not be able to increase their status and sensitive people would not be able to get hurt.

It would be like Facebook.... but on a forum.

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 12:32:02 AM »
Yeah I agree but the admins would disable downvoting and hide points gathered for everyone.

Hide the points? So just have a useless button on each post?  :D
Naw, I see what you're saying: no points system per-user, no karma count... just a points system per-post.
This would allow the poster to get feedback and feel good about herself without cluttering the discussion, but sidestep the popularity contest/ reputation-grubbing problems. Although... someone explain why post-whoring for upvotes is worse than what we do now? :) If it's a worthy post, it's a worthy post...

ETA: Maybe give everyone one upvote a day so they don't spend it frivolously.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 12:33:37 AM by Henning »
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 12:51:29 AM »
I don't get it....so you'd have to go back and read your old posts to see if people up-voted them? What's the purpose of this feature?

Offline TheLostVertex

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 01:33:43 AM »
Meh....the karma thing was stupid because it turned into retaliatory and pre-agreed vote -rigging just for status. Look at the effort people put into padding their post count for added status. Seems like so much pointless circle-jerking.

Just my opinion, though. Not going die on a silly hill like this, if someone decides to give it another shot. :-\

I agree here. I dont think that the implementation of karma nor the mod you are suggesting will promote a healthy conversation. There are other ways to implement a voting system that might help quell some of the circle jerking that can occur, but at this time i dont know of any for smf. The mod is also incompatible with the current version of smf we are working on, and for the time being we are not upgrading yet.

Also, all of the evil admins and mods have been throwing around some ideas of how to reward good posting. Beleth can fill everyone in when he is ready to on the ideas he has.

I think the main concept he wants to go with is to disable PMs and halt all new topics from being created. (kidding, kidding....jeez   :downsrim:)

-Steve

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 02:12:06 AM »
I think the main concept he wants to go with is to disable PMs and halt all new topics from being created. (kidding, kidding....jeez   :downsrim:)

sssshhhhhhh! We weren't supposed to tell them that part!

Offline TheLostVertex

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 02:20:14 AM »

sssshhhhhhh! We weren't supposed to tell them that part!

Shit, how do I edit my post?

-Technical Administrator

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 02:21:16 AM »
I think we need to close out threads that will not die. That way the people who want to carry on interminably can start a "part II" thread, and those who got caught up in the nightmare by one I'll conceived post can stay the hell away!

Good example is the word association thread that will not die. :deadhorse:

personate-rain