Author Topic: Explain your username + avatar  (Read 190940 times)

Offline Gigabyte

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • If you believe, they put a man on the moon
Re: Explain your username + avatar
« Reply #1515 on: August 14, 2019, 03:36:05 PM »
I started out using my actual name on the internet (1985), and even on the www (1995) but after doxxing (which wasn't called that then), and other strange attacks of various kinds, as well as realizing there are some seriously fucked up people and stalkers that use the www to do their thing, I have used aliases.

Except where I still use the name on my birth certificate.

My current avatar is just a funny animated gif that makes me laugh and also is sort of disturbing.  Much like most of what I read online.
I don't understand some things, but at least I know I don't know

Offline Scamplotter

• Brand New
« Reply #1516 on: August 20, 2019, 09:22:28 AM »
My username is an anagram of my actual name.  I haven't set an avatar, but if I did it would be extremely clever and witty.  You would be so impressed you would be compelled to set it as the background on your phone and computer.  I can't handle that kind of fame, so I refrain.

Offline Gigabyte

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • If you believe, they put a man on the moon
« Reply #1517 on: August 21, 2019, 12:10:05 PM »
but if I did it would be extremely clever and witty.  You would be so impressed you would be compelled to set it as the background on your phone and computer.  I can't handle that kind of fame, so I refrain.
I feel your pain
I don't understand some things, but at least I know I don't know

Offline drproximo

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • fnord
    • blaugh
« Reply #1518 on: August 25, 2019, 05:54:26 AM »
I decided to change my avatar. I had been using an "action shot" from my Mii, and the MiiTomo app has been done for more than a year. I've been using this shot of Duckie from Pretty in Pink on Facebook and Twitter for awhile, and it just feels right.

Mildly interesting story; a few weeks ago, Jon Cryer (the actor who played Duckie, he was also in Two and a Half Men, most recently he's Lex Luther on Supergirl) retweeted something about the famous record store dance scene. I responded with a bit of geeking out, starting with "THAT SCENE!". Jon Cryer liked the tweet, which was pretty neat. It wasn't until a few minutes after I saw the notification of the like that I remembered I was using the Duckie avatar. I kinda cringed a little, because it reminds me of when you look at the comments under a pop singer like Ariana or Taylor, there are dozens of fans geeking out with pics of that singer for their avatars. I didn't mean to be that fanboy, but yeah for a moment I was that fanboy. Hey, at least he liked it instead of blocking me.
"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."

- Jack Kerouac, On The Road

personate-rain
personate-rain