Author Topic: Explain your username + avatar  (Read 137163 times)

Offline Leonidas

• Off to a Start
Explain your username + avatar
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2007, 03:31:35 AM »
my username is ... my name?

and the picture is a picture of me

and the sig ..well.. has DADA ever spoken to you about the ideal?
he ideal (it's nice)

Offline Silo

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2007, 07:03:04 AM »
My username, according to my friends (I didn't start it), refers to what you're mom calls me....I hope I don't need to explain that.

My avatar is me and a sea lion...I hope I don't need to explain that.

Offline Cecil

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Cognitive Dissonance
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2007, 09:34:24 AM »
Cecil is a nickname that I got in High School which is a derivative of my last name. It stuck and it is how I introduce my self to people, it's also the name I told my wife 10 years ago when we met. No one but my work collogues and my dad call me by my real first name.

My avatar is my 2 Siamese cats, Dymetrius and Tybalt, or more affectionately - Tybs and Peaches. They are the best pets in the universe. Siamese cats are nature's bagpipes.

I got the quote after reading Broca's Brain, by Sagan.
"The least questioned assumptions are often the most questionable." ~ Paul Broca

Offline sketchy

• Frequent Poster
  • just sketchy
    • Sketchy's Kitchen
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2007, 10:13:58 AM »
I got my name back in college 1.0

All the druggies would walk past my room at 2:00 in the morning and see me wide awake doing one of my art projects on my floor.  They started asking if I was on anything, I would say no, then they said that was sketchy.  Well, finals came around, and I had to make a 'dream book' for my Communications and Presentation class. I wanted one of the pages to be shattered.  So, when I was deliriously sleepy (3 days with no sleep), I decided to break the pane of glass(bad idea).

Well, the stuff I had on hand.. A metal bound spool of gold plated thread was not the greatest thing to break it with.  so at 1:30 in the morning (Saturday Morning), I managed to break the pane of glass.

I'm shirtless, shoeless, sitting in the middle of my dorm room floor in a pair of shorts.  When the glass broke, it went about 4 feet in the air, and about 4 feet in all directions.  Glass shards everywhere, in my lap, in my hair...

then the druggies walked by.  they all stopped in my doorway, say my predicament, and said I was sooo sketchy.  they just started calling me sketchy.  so for the next 24 hours, I sat in the middle of my floor and glued back the pane of glass.  The next 24 hours solidified the name on my dorm room floor

I used it for my 'internet persona' back in 94, and it's stuck.  there are many people who only use that name when referring to me.

As for the avatar, that is my son asking to be picked up.

Offline flapbonwaller

• Off to a Start
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2007, 10:24:48 AM »
My user name is taken from a Eddie Izzard bit making fun of Engelbert Humperdinck.  He changed his name from Arnold Dorsey tp Engelbert Humperdinck.

Offline SkepThickHeaded

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2007, 11:58:57 AM »
My username, SkepThickHeaded is both a warning and an acknowledgment that I'm skeptical to a fault.  Seriously, I have my doubts about stuff that even skeptics  accept as obvious fact.  Pick a subject, I probably think there's something fishy about it.

My avatar is the evil monkey who lives in Chris Griffin's closet (The Family Guy), mainly I like it because of the wagging finger of accusation.

My signature line is an obvious combination of the avatar, and the timeless quote from SGU Episode #62:  "I have monkeys in my pants" - Perry DeAngelis
"When push comes to shove, you've got to do what you love...even if it's not a good idea"  Hermes Conrad

Offline blishter

• Off to a Start
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2007, 01:56:22 PM »
my user name is a nickname once(or twice?) removed - my name is jim, and a friend started calling me james blish; eventually, more people knew me by blish than by jim(or even knew my name was jim!). during lan-parties, it changed to blishter or blishteria (not sure why) which comes in handy when blish is already used or a login requires more than five characters.

my avatar is a long-lost relative - that and the fact that monkeys/chimps/apes drive creationists/id'ers/zealots nuts makes it a perfect choice!

my tagline is a favored quote from a favored thinker, uncle ben franklin, referring to my personal preference of liberty over some versions of democracy.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote! - Ben Franklin

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2007, 03:29:22 PM »
My user name comes from my job, which is construction estimator.  When I was first starting out, we often used the term WAG, which is (as many of you may know) an acronym of Wild-Assed Guess.  I, however, considered myself a step above, and called my estimates Scientific Wild-Assed Guesses or SWAGs.

As time went on, I collected a bunch of formulas, shortcuts and other estimating arcana into a loose leaf notebook ---I called this collection my SWAG-O-MATIC.  From there it was a short leap to my user name, Swagomatic.  

My avatar is the ever-dense Zap Brannigan from the very funny and vastly underrated animated show "Futurama," which most are familiar with.  I also used Bullwinkle the moose for a while, and I probably will switch again; maybe to Philip J. Fry or to Dr. Zoidberg.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline Nightspore

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Ideas are bulletproof
    • http://nightspore.wordpress.com/
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2007, 04:02:21 PM »
Quote from: "Paul Ganssle"
Quote from: "Nightspore"
...I picked the Guy Fawkes symbol because it looks a lot like V in V for Vendetta, one of my favourite movies.

You know that's cause he was wearing a Guy Fawkes mask, right?

Most people think that - it's a common mistake. In fact, Hugo Weaving underwent radical plastic surgery for the part.
When you're at this as long as I've been, you stop believing in coincidence.

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2007, 05:10:19 PM »
Mike's my name.  My avatar?  Well, it fits with the forum theme.

Plus it was either that or this:

"We're just so damn exciting." - Dr. Steven Novella, MD

Offline astronomoth

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2007, 05:16:11 PM »
my username is used interchangeably with two other names to promise that no one knows who i amm....ooooo they are based on a fictional char i created

Offline Paul Ganssle

• Objective Hitler
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2007, 06:36:41 PM »
Quote from: "astronomoth"
my username is used interchangeably with two other names to promise that no one knows who i amm....ooooo they are based on a fictional char i created

What are you, in the witness protection program?  I've never been a big fan of this whole "internet anonymity" thing.  It seems so asinine.
quot;if you looat the world and think there is a God nothin make sense but if you see it fro a naturalistivc perspectiove all the shti goin on is exactly what youd expect-"  -The Always Eloquent Richard Dawkins

Offline Thespis

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2007, 06:38:04 PM »
Quote from: "Mike"
Mike's my name.  My avatar?  Well, it fits with the forum theme.

Plus it was either that or this:

Good choice.

Offline queequeg

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2007, 07:14:09 PM »
Queequeg is the chief harpooner on the whaling ship the Pequod from the novel Moby Dick.  He was a noble savage and cannibal and I kinda think of myself that way (well, two out of three ain't bad).  He likes to poke mammals, and so do I.

My avatar is the Ask A Ninja  Ninja.  YOU CAN NOT KILL WHAT YOU CAN NOT SEE!!! is actually my saying, not his.  I think.

DEATH FROM ABOVE! is actually from mechwarrior the board game, but too cool not to put to use in casual conversation.  Just try it next time someone says “Good morning” answer with DEATH FROM ABOVE!!!  It will make you very popular, very fast.  Kinda like using that AXE body spray for men.

I went as a ninja to the last Halloween party I went to.  Chicks dug it.  I told some people it was a burkah for men.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
      -- Voltaire

Offline BenignVanilla

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2007, 07:56:30 PM »
My nick was created about 10-12 years ago. I was on a project as a consultant. The PM wanted everyone on AIM so we could communicate. I chose the AIM nick OmManiPadmeHung, a Buddhist mantra. The PM called me to yell at me. She couldn't understand how I could be so unprofessional. She didn't care how hung I was, it was inappropriate. I then explained to her that it was a mantra or prayer of compassion. She laughed and asked me to change it anyway to something that could not be misunderstood.

I chose the most BenignVanilla nick I could think of.

As for my avatar, I haven't chosen one yet, but when I do, I am sure it'll change early and often, so its not worth explaining. :)

personate-rain