Author Topic: Useless fact of the day  (Read 135323 times)

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Useless fact of the day
« Reply #3105 on: March 06, 2017, 04:41:37 PM »
0ºF was at one time thought to be the coldest possible temperature.

I still don't understand why Europeans voluntarily inflict negative temperatures on themselves.

That was never the opinion of Fahrenheit or science or anyone above the age of 10, really. Humans have been surviving in much colder temperatures for as long as there have been humans. 0° F is based on the coldest temperature Fahrenheit measured while devising the scale (in his home town). There are other claims it's based on the stable temperature of a brine solution.

It's not just the Europeans who suffer - temperatures, it's pretty much everyone else in the world. But it's the upper level of the scales that seem irrelevant to me. 100°F is pretty close to human body temperature, so it's easily relatable. Temps close to and above 100 range from uncomfortable, to unbearable; 80s and 70s are comfortable; 60 and 50s are cold; 30s and below are uncomfortable.

The C scale seems like arbitrary numbers for human experience. Although pretty relevant if you're a glass of water.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3106 on: March 06, 2017, 05:18:57 PM »
It's not just the Europeans who suffer - temperatures, it's pretty much everyone else in the world.

If youre talking about farenheit, as far as Im aware nowhere in Australia naturally reaches negatives except maybe a few isolated spots on the tops of mountains. Im at one of the coldest/most southern points of the mainland and 0°C is actually much closer to a regular minimum (we get a few degrees below 0°C on winter nights and thats it).

I suspect, but cant find good data one way or the other, that much of the indonesian region, pacific islands, and probably New Zealand apart from their mountain regions dont naturally get down near -18°C either. (I did find a news story that NZ has only reached -20°C / -4°F four times in recorded history in habitable areas)
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3107 on: March 06, 2017, 07:02:13 PM »
It's not just the Europeans who suffer - temperatures, it's pretty much everyone else in the world.

If youre talking about farenheit, as far as Im aware nowhere in Australia naturally reaches negatives except maybe a few isolated spots on the tops of mountains. Im at one of the coldest/most southern points of the mainland and 0°C is actually much closer to a regular minimum (we get a few degrees below 0°C on winter nights and thats it).

I suspect, but cant find good data one way or the other, that much of the indonesian region, pacific islands, and probably New Zealand apart from their mountain regions dont naturally get down near -18°C either. (I did find a news story that NZ has only reached -20°C / -4°F four times in recorded history in habitable areas)

I don't know, I saw "The Man from Snowy River" and that looked pretty cold.

The are parts of Australia that get below 0° F at times too.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #3108 on: March 07, 2017, 04:08:29 AM »

No, not really.

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3109 on: March 07, 2017, 04:37:12 AM »

The Snowy River begins on the slopes of Mount Kosciuszko, Australia's highest mountain, and still doesnt regularly get that cold.

Charlotte Pass, the closest village (ski resort) to the mountain is the "coldest place in Australia" according to wikipedia and has a record low of -9°F  but still only gets down to a bit below -10°C / +14°F on a regular basis during winter.

edit to add: Weather Bureau information for Charlotte Pass says the lowest decile of minimum temperatures, for the coldest month, for the coldest village in Australia, is around -12°C / +10°F.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 04:47:02 AM by Caffiene »
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3110 on: March 07, 2017, 10:48:11 AM »

The Snowy River begins on the slopes of Mount Kosciuszko, Australia's highest mountain, and still doesnt regularly get that cold.

Charlotte Pass, the closest village (ski resort) to the mountain is the "coldest place in Australia" according to wikipedia and has a record low of -9°F  but still only gets down to a bit below -10°C / +14°F on a regular basis during winter.

edit to add: Weather Bureau information for Charlotte Pass says the lowest decile of minimum temperatures, for the coldest month, for the coldest village in Australia, is around -12°C / +10°F.

So, to recap, the point is the the US is the only country still using Fahrenheit; there are parts of Australia that drop below 0°C regularly so they do subject themselves to negative numbers; it is rare to drop below 0°F in the coldest parts of Australia, but it happens; the idea that any serious adult ever thought 0°F was the coldest possible temperature is false.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #3111 on: March 07, 2017, 11:00:14 AM »
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3112 on: March 07, 2017, 07:09:34 PM »
So, to recap, the point is the the US is the only country still using Fahrenheit; there are parts of Australia that drop below 0°C regularly so they do subject themselves to negative numbers; it is rare to drop below 0°F in the coldest parts of Australia, but it happens; the idea that any serious adult ever thought 0°F was the coldest possible temperature is false.

More accurate recap: You claimed that "not just the europeans [but] pretty much everyone else in the world" suffer -F temperatures. When presented with evidence that there are regions of the world nowhere near that, you complained and started conjuring up imaginary arguments.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3113 on: March 07, 2017, 07:53:57 PM »

More accurate recap: You claimed that "not just the europeans [but] pretty much everyone else in the world" suffer -F temperatures. When presented with evidence that there are regions of the world nowhere near that, you complained and started conjuring up imaginary arguments.

Your alt-recap is full of non-sense. (to put it politely)

I was responding to the comment: "I still don't understand why Europeans voluntarily inflict negative temperatures on themselves."  Which was clearly referencing the Centigrade scale, as that's the scale they use in Europe. And I correctly pointed out that it's not just not just Europeans, but pretty much everyone else in the world who uses the Centigrade scale. Nowhere did I claim everyone else in the world suffers -F temperatures, it's only in the US where that scale is being used.

It's like you're reading every other word from every other post.

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3114 on: March 08, 2017, 03:41:51 AM »
clearly referencing the Centigrade scale

[edit: De-escalating] Oops. I didnt find it clear. I did preface my original comment with "If youre talking about fahrenheit", but we still seem to have miscommunicated and be talking about two completely different things.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 03:54:34 AM by Caffiene »
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3115 on: March 08, 2017, 10:03:07 AM »
The last Carolina parakeet died at the Cincinnati Zoo on February 21, 1918, in the same cage where Martha, the last passenger pigeon died a few months earlier.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3116 on: March 08, 2017, 10:38:36 AM »
clearly referencing the Centigrade scale

[edit: De-escalating] Oops. I didnt find it clear. I did preface my original comment with "If youre talking about fahrenheit", but we still seem to have miscommunicated and be talking about two completely different things.

Yes I see that wasn't as clear as it should have been.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #3117 on: April 24, 2017, 09:28:30 AM »
Alcohol has its root in the Arabic, Al Kohl which referred to fine powders produced as distillates.  Ironic as the fast majority of Arabs don't drink alcohol. 

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #3118 on: April 24, 2017, 01:26:15 PM »
I still don't understand why Europeans voluntarily inflict negative temperatures on themselves.

Are you saying that you don't understand why Europeans live where it's cold, or are you saying that you don't understand why they employ a temperature scale that sets zero at the freezing point of water?
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #3119 on: April 24, 2017, 01:28:27 PM »

Of course, one can choose to end a marriage. One cannot choose to leave prison. I'm sure he would have left prison if that had been an option. In fact, a few years into his prison time, if he'd been offered freedom on condition that he agree never to divorce his wife, I think he'd have accepted the deal.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain