Author Topic: Useless fact of the day  (Read 131428 times)

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Useless fact of the day
« Reply #3120 on: April 24, 2017, 02:00:51 PM »

Of course, one can choose to end a marriage. One cannot choose to leave prison. I'm sure he would have left prison if that had been an option. In fact, a few years into his prison time, if he'd been offered freedom on condition that he agree never to divorce his wife, I think he'd have accepted the deal.

I think he was offered freedom if he would denounce the ANC and its effort to overthrow apartheid.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #3121 on: April 24, 2017, 05:55:05 PM »
Totally different issue. The poster is trying to argue that marriage is worse than imprisonment and torture.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3122 on: April 24, 2017, 08:58:18 PM »
Totally different issue. The poster is trying to argue that marriage is worse than imprisonment and torture.

Yea, that's the joke.

Of course, one can choose to end a marriage. One cannot choose to leave prison. I'm sure he would have left prison if that had been an option. In fact, a few years into his prison time, if he'd been offered freedom on condition that he agree never to divorce his wife, I think he'd have accepted the deal.

I think he was offered freedom if he would denounce the ANC and its effort to overthrow apartheid.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #3123 on: April 26, 2017, 03:51:54 PM »
Kim Il-Sung's father Kim Hyong-jik practiced Chinese herbal medicine as a doctor.

Although actually that might become a useful fact when the Great Leader reached out from beyond the grave to graciously accept the United States into his Great Nation and clutch it to his Great Bossom.

Mooohn!

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3124 on: April 26, 2017, 07:12:18 PM »
Though he's known as a comic, Lou Costello was also a gifted athlete. In high school, he excelled at sports, especially basketball, and was once the New Jersey state free throw champion. He also fought in the boxing ring under the name Lou King.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3125 on: April 26, 2017, 07:59:07 PM »
Though he's known as a comic, Lou Costello was also a gifted athlete. In high school, he excelled at sports, especially basketball, and was once the New Jersey state free throw champion. He also fought in the boxing ring under the name Lou King.

What was his name when he played baseball

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3126 on: April 26, 2017, 08:28:46 PM »

Who?
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #3127 on: April 26, 2017, 08:56:18 PM »

Who?

(ugh) [obligatory] Whos on first. [/obligatory]
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3128 on: April 26, 2017, 10:33:37 PM »

Who?
Lou Costello

Your mileage may vary.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #3129 on: April 27, 2017, 02:11:50 AM »

Who?
Lou Costello

Your mileage may vary.
oh, I see what your problem is! Look, you're confused by their names, because they all sound like questions.

. See, on first base is Hu, Samuel Hu, and you're probably not familiar with that name because his grandfather was Chinese. And on second base is Hector Watt, W-A-T-T Watt, and that's not so unusual because James Watt invented the steam engine. And on third base is Phil Iduno, I-D-U-N-O, and if you do say that fast, it does sound like the phrase 'Gee, I dunno,' but it's actually Iduno, Phil Iduno.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3130 on: April 27, 2017, 02:25:10 PM »

So Who's on first?

Who?
Lou Costello

Your mileage may vary.
oh, I see what your problem is! Look, you're confused by their names, because they all sound like questions.

. See, on first base is Hu, Samuel Hu, and you're probably not familiar with that name because his grandfather was Chinese. And on second base is Hector Watt, W-A-T-T Watt, and that's not so unusual because James Watt invented the steam engine. And on third base is Phil Iduno, I-D-U-N-O, and if you do say that fast, it does sound like the phrase 'Gee, I dunno,' but it's actually Iduno, Phil Iduno.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #3131 on: April 27, 2017, 03:59:27 PM »

I was certain you had him confused with somebody else. But Wikipedia has the same information.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3132 on: April 29, 2017, 11:21:58 AM »
Costello also altered his voice to make it higher in pitch because his normal low pitched voice was too easily confused on radio with that of his partner, Bud Abbott.

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3133 on: June 19, 2017, 09:01:10 PM »
John Wayne based his persona on cowboy silent film hero Tom Mix. The two worked together for some time. Tom Mix based  his on-screen persona on that of Wyatt Earp, his best friend. Most of the stories of the old West are unreal. But, contemporaries contend that Earp was the real thing. 

personate-rain