Author Topic: Weird "counter" showing up  (Read 945 times)

Offline jaypee

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Astronaut Mike Dexter
Weird "counter" showing up
« on: May 21, 2010, 09:42:31 AM »
Maybe I'm daft and have never noticed this before, but I'm pretty sure I'm not that oblivious.

The number changes on every page I visit..
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline Halleyscomet

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog
Re: Weird "counter" showing up
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 09:52:33 AM »
I'd just noticed it myself. The HTML source reveals it to be a web bug linking to: www.steveswebhosting.com

Steve's Web Hosting exists to host websites that promote critical thinking, civil rights for all people, and atheism. Some of our websites are designed to produce income, hoping to offset our expenses. But the primary reason for Steve's Web Hosting to exist is the promotion of a reality-based lifestyle choice. Since we are in favor of reality and equal rights for all, we are diametrically opposed to the Republican Party and its evil deeds.

Most of the sites hosted here are designed and created by Steve, in addition we offer pro bono hosting to a select number of critical thinking, skeptical, and anti-religious sites. This is done as a public service, as we realize the serious threats posed by the Jesus/Pentagon alliance. See the Guests page for more details.

A review of the web site reveals they brag about providing the hosting for Skepchick and the SGU:

http://www.steveswebhosting.com/guests.php

It looks like a traffic tracking image placed presumably by the web hosting company has inexplicably become visible. My guess is that the number is how many times that page has been viewed or viewed by your IP address since the counter was reset.

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 09:56:52 AM »
OK, at least I'm not going crazy :)
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 11:01:02 AM »
StevesWeb has graciously added a traffic analyzer application to the services he provides us for free.  The hit counter was a "feature" of that app that neither he nor I (not you guys, apparently) liked, so he has disabled it.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 11:03:31 AM »
Heh.. It kinda reminded me of being on a Geocities page that one of my high school friends would put up..

"Hey guys! My website on how America is a capitalist hell hole and we should all switch to Marxism got 1000 hits!"

personate-rain