Author Topic: Episode #253  (Read 13687 times)

Offline Nigel

• Seasoned Contributor
  • One man, one opinion
    • The Skeptical Review
Re: Episode #253
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2010, 11:31:12 PM »
Bob loves Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.  I live about a mile from the Reese's factory.  I'd be happy to hook him up.  (I don't work for Hershey. But I'll do it out of hometown pride.) 

I thought the best part of this week's episode was the cult discussion.  I know the Rogues have discussed cults before, but this time seemed particularly pithy. 

Offline jawmo

• Congenitally Ostentatious
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fast 'n bulbous
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2010, 11:39:34 PM »
I was an editor in 1986 in Richmond Va. and had close to 100 people called over the course of a week. Hardly a single person had seen Halley's Comet, nor even tried. Granted, we were in a semi-urban locale and it took pretty high-powered telescopes to see but still ... depressing. The headline I still remember writing: "Cometose."
One bonus, though, was speaking to a lady who'd seen the 1910 comet.
Objectivity is sacrificed in the service of higher goals.
-- C. Sagan, "The Demon-Haunted World"

Offline Zeno Izen

• AWESOME POSSUM!
  • Frequent Poster
  • F'ing F!!!
    • The Final Website
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2010, 12:49:45 AM »
Audible sponsors a lot of podcasts.  If audible ever went out of business, it probably wouldn't be the end of podcasting, but it definitely would be kind of uncool.

Someone with initiative should start brokering ad spots on podcasts. 

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2010, 02:20:25 AM »
"I was an editor in 1986 in Richmond Va. and had close to 100 people called over the course of a week. Hardly a single person had seen Halley's Comet, nor even tried. Granted, we were in a semi-urban locale and it took pretty high-powered telescopes to see but still ... depressing. The headline I still remember writing: "Cometose."
One bonus, though, was speaking to a lady who'd seen the 1910 comet".

Sounds as though there are advantages to living in the Southern Hemisphere.  Also, most of the year Andromeda Galaxy is not visible in the Southern Hemisphere (or at least not at 32 degrees south, except for a few weeks).  I saw it this year for the first time.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline mwilley

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=671206612
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2010, 02:47:34 AM »
The distinction between a cult and a religion is a false and misleading one, IMHO.
Steve concentrates on tactics employed by a cult to propagate itself and implies, i think, that more mainstream religions compare favourably as a result.
I think this is untrue. Religions all indoctrinate children, all religions do, many overtly.  They all have leaders, of varying degrees of remoteness and charisma.  They all 'love bomb' the needy and the vulnerable.  They frequently have sacred texts that are interpreted by those higher up the pecking order.  They are frequently secretive, and have shielded objectives and knowledge.  This is a purpose of theology.  They thrive where ignorance holds sway.  They are frequently, systematically, difficult to leave.
So I find it difficult to agree with Steve on the notion that some religious groups operate as cults, and others not.  It is a spectrum, and magical thinking needs certain easily recognisable techniques to propagate itself.
By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged!

Offline MountainManPan

• Banned
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2010, 02:56:27 AM »
The distinction between a cult and a religion is...

...size!

Nyuck nyuck nyuck

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
  • Dumb, in a pocket, and proud of it.
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2010, 04:39:53 AM »
As a spectacle, Halley's comet was a non-starter in the UK at least, but TV coverage of the Giotto probe was good.

For the amazing comet sight of a lifetime at this latitude, I don't think Hale-Bopp will be bettered.
I'm a skeptic. Not a "skepdude". Not a "man skeptic". Just a skeptic.

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2010, 05:40:47 AM »
mwilley, sounds like you're saying any culture itself is a cult.
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline mddawson

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2010, 07:01:42 AM »
I like George Hrab's answer to what is the difference between a cult and a religion - "size and real estate".
"I only take scientific comments when they are peer-reviewed rather than being published in a small local newspaper or scratched on a toilet wall somewhere."
Professor Peter Brown (2005).

Offline mwilley

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2010, 07:11:43 AM »
mwilley, sounds like you're saying any culture itself is a cult.
Well it shouldn't sound like that.  Any systematic attempt to make people believe or act in some way that circumvents their own free choices and their own enquiry will require some form of cult like behaviour.
I didn't mention culture.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 07:13:58 AM by mwilley »

Offline mwilley

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2010, 07:13:04 AM »
I like George Hrab's answer to what is the difference between a cult and a religion - "size and real estate".
:D Perfect.

Offline Zeno Izen

• AWESOME POSSUM!
  • Frequent Poster
  • F'ing F!!!
    • The Final Website
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2010, 01:13:51 PM »
As a spectacle, Halley's comet was a non-starter in the UK at least, but TV coverage of the Giotto probe was good.

For the amazing comet sight of a lifetime at this latitude, I don't think Hale-Bopp will be bettered.

There was a night where you could see HB and a lunar eclipse in the same sky in North America.  That was good fun.

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2010, 01:28:22 PM »

There was a night where you could see HB and a lunar eclipse in the same sky in North America.  That was good fun.

Still remember standing by the side of the road near my school (Although I was probably driving home from work, and seeing HB over a hay field near pretty heavy light pollution. That thing was crazy great!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 02:34:20 PM by seaotter »
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline Arkholt

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Unknown
    • The Bird Feeder
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2010, 02:31:46 PM »
WTN is definitely Michael Savage, the meanest and nastiest guy to ever have a call-in radio show.  I don't understand why he takes calls, because he doesn't seem to want to talk to anybody that calls in.  If you agree with what he says, he's mean.  If you don't agree, he's slightly less mean.

EDIT: Er, I got that backwards.  If you don't agree, he's mean.  If you do agree, he's slightly less mean.

As for ball lightning...  it never made sense to me how something like that could exist.  Am I wrong in saying that lightning is static electricity?  If that's correct, how does static electricity float in the air in the form of a ball...??  My mind explodes trying to figure it out.  If Rebecca wants to hold out hope, however, than she can go ahead.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 05:02:12 PM by Arkholt »
The Daily Panel, a blog about comic strips | The Bird Feeder, the webcomic about birds.  We have the water cooler, they have the bird feeder.

Offline Citizen Skeptic

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Vote for Jill Stein.
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2010, 02:37:12 PM »
WTN is definitely Michael Savage, the meanest and nastiest guy to ever have a call-in radio show.  I don't understand why he takes calls, because he doesn't seem to want to talk to anybody that calls in.  If you agree with what he says, he's mean.  If you don't agree, he's slightly less mean.

i've listened to him a few times but he's not on up here anymore. you are right. i just suspend disbelief and pretend he's some sleazy graphic novel character. it's a schtick and he does it really well(?).
Stay thirsty for knowledge my friends.
--The most interesting man in the world