Author Topic: World Cup Thread  (Read 36609 times)

Offline Peace Bunny

• Seasoned Contributor
    • New Music Transmission
World Cup Thread
« on: June 01, 2010, 11:22:07 AM »
I have had a little look, and it seems that a World Cup thread doesn't yet exist.

Soooo...I am starting one here. Feel free to move it if there is somewhere more appropriate.

England Squad that has just been announced:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.
Defenders: Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock
Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Shaun Wright-Phillips.
Forwards: Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney

Bring on the USA!! :P
Get used to it honey. From now on, we'll be spelling everything with letters.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: World Cup Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 11:31:20 AM »
I'm rooting for the Socceroos and the All Whites. I was impressed by the former during their last World Cup when they were cheated out of the tournament and the latter, I just like Kiwis and newcomers.

But, most importantly, I am rooting against the cheating bastards, especially Italy and France.

Offline Peace Bunny

• Seasoned Contributor
    • New Music Transmission
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 12:02:02 PM »
Australia have a pretty tough group, although if they progress there is a great chance of lining up what would be billed as the "Commonwealth Game" between Australia and England.

NZ will struggle, just because of their lack of international experience and clinical quality. Picking up their first World Cup point would be a great achievement though, and will likely be the teams aim.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 12:14:01 PM »
Australia have a pretty tough group, although if they progress there is a great chance of lining up what would be billed as the "Commonwealth Game" between Australia and England.

Well, even the Kiwis beat Serbia and if the Socceroos are as good as the last time Ghana could also be defeated. And they might be able to play a draw against Germany.

NZ will struggle, just because of their lack of international experience and clinical quality. Picking up their first World Cup point would be a great achievement though, and will likely be the teams aim.

Sure. But they still can prove to be a surprise. They will not win, of course, but I'm sure they'll be more enjoyable then the big teams who have been nothing but disappointing for a long while.

Offline Peace Bunny

• Seasoned Contributor
    • New Music Transmission
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 12:17:35 PM »
Don't underestimate Serbia. As an England fan, I would rather England play Australia or Ghana than Serbia in the second round.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 12:17:43 PM »
As I sit here an American in Stuttgart, Germany I have the following predictions:

Germany will win their group.

The United States will come in 2nd in their group.

Germany will then face the United States.  Oliver Kahn wont be there to save them this time.....

Ghana with no Essien might as well be Tunisia.
Well.  There it is.

Offline Peace Bunny

• Seasoned Contributor
    • New Music Transmission
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 12:37:01 PM »

This is true actually. And yeah, Germany should make the 1/8's at least in my opinion.

Offline JoelWhy

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 12:51:01 PM »
I'm pulling for the U.S. and Argentina (my mom's from Argentina.)  I'm usually up pretty early in the morning, so I'll try to catch the Saturday morning games.  There's a Argentina/Korea game that I'd love to watch at a local pub, especially since there are so many Koreans (that's the good Korea  ;)) near where I live.
"I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Offline Peace Bunny

• Seasoned Contributor
    • New Music Transmission
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 12:55:21 PM »
I think England could meet Argentina in the 1/8 finals. That would be a classic game, huge rivalry.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 01:10:06 PM »
I'm pulling for the U.S. and Argentina (my mom's from Argentina.)  I'm usually up pretty early in the morning, so I'll try to catch the Saturday morning games.  There's a Argentina/Korea game that I'd love to watch at a local pub, especially since there are so many Koreans (that's the good Korea  ;)) near where I live.

I was also in Germany during the 2002 World Cup, in which the South Koreans had that magical run.

The Korea fans who filled the bars were wild, wild, wild!  I'd welcome another strong Korea run just to see their supporters again!
Well.  There it is.

Offline Peace Bunny

• Seasoned Contributor
    • New Music Transmission
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 01:15:33 PM »
You were in Germany for 2002, and 2010, I hope you made it there for 2006, when Germany were hosts!

(I am going to Germany for the first time just after the World Cup, any suggestions on destinations?)

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 01:32:02 PM »
I'm rooting specifically against Argentina, JoelWhy.  Naked Maradona running through Buenos Aires is something that needs to be avoided at all costs.

In all seriousness though, such a pity about that team.  Quite possibly the second most talented squad in the tournament with a coach who can't tell his coke from his Ajax.

My teams are not in this year, and as much as I like Spain I don't like rooting for favourites.  Maybe I'll root for Netherlands.

Offline Nacreous

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Some sort of anthropoid ape, as best we can tell.
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 02:06:24 PM »
I think England could meet Argentina in the 1/8 finals. That would be a classic game, huge rivalry.

Yep, that would be terrific.  England's my team because me mum's from Manchester...and the USA has no shot.*

*anti-jinx
"The future has been here for awhile; it's just not available to everyone."
-some guy at MIT

Offline Felt Martin

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 02:09:54 PM »

Is Essien definitely out of the tournament?
That is a shame. I am supporting Ghana since my team didn't qualify.   :(

Got to fancy Spain to win it. On paper they have the best team by a distance I think but of course the best team doesn't necessarily win!

Offline Peace Bunny

• Seasoned Contributor
    • New Music Transmission
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 02:14:04 PM »
I'd be interested to know what you guys feel about the squad in the first post, due to being in the UK, I can only get views with heavy bias (either from the Welsh here in Cardiff, who say every player is terrible, or from my English friends at 'home' who say the squad is amazing!).

Any thoughts on England's chances?

I agree with FM, Spain look like they are in with a great chance.

personate-rain