Author Topic: World Cup Thread  (Read 33041 times)

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
Re: World Cup Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 02:36:23 PM »
I'd be interested to know what you guys feel about the squad in the first post, due to being in the UK, I can only get views with heavy bias (either from the Welsh here in Cardiff, who say every player is terrible, or from my English friends at 'home' who say the squad is amazing!).

Any thoughts on England's chances?

I agree with FM, Spain look like they are in with a great chance.

Well if the England side that showed up to play Japan is the one that shows to the World Cup, England is doomed.

However, I have full confidence that England will snap out of their funk....
Well.  There it is.

Offline Peace Bunny

• Seasoned Contributor
    • New Music Transmission
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 02:39:31 PM »
The Japan game was terrible, agreed. However, it was a mix-and-match starting 11, who had never played together before. I am sure once the normal starting 11 are back together and playing a more typical system, the team should start to flow much better.
Get used to it honey. From now on, we'll be spelling everything with letters.

Offline Felt Martin

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
I'd be interested to know what you guys feel about the squad in the first post, due to being in the UK, I can only get views with heavy bias (either from the Welsh here in Cardiff, who say every player is terrible, or from my English friends at 'home' who say the squad is amazing!).

Any thoughts on England's chances?

I agree with FM, Spain look like they are in with a great chance.

I'm afraid I've only got another biased opinion from the UK (specifically Scotland)!

I don't think England's squad is good enough to win it.
Rooney is first class but apart from him I don't think the strikers are good enough.
You've got a strong midfield but finding the balance is the hard part. Personally I would drop Gerrard unless you are going to play with Rooney up front on his own, then Gerrard could play behind him.

The defenders are suspect I think. Terry will make a big mistake at some point - it's just a question of whether or not he gets away with it.
The fitness of the rest must be a worry and I don't think any of the goalies are dependable.

I'd have taken Walcott as well. He has not played well this year but he can create something out of nothing. Don't think Wright-Phillips is good enough personally.

I'm sure you'll win the group but then I think you'll need a bit of luck to go further.

What do you think?

Offline Peace Bunny

• Seasoned Contributor
    • New Music Transmission
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 02:57:52 PM »
Yeah that is a pretty fair analysis. I am a Newcastle United fan, and therefore, I am highly 'skeptical' of my teams ever actually doing something of value on the big stage. I think we have the ability to make the 1/8's, from there it is a coin-flip if we can make the Semi-Finals, and to win it seems very unlikely.

But obviously, as with any England fan, deep deep deep down...there is that little gleam of hope.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »
I think from top to bottom the England squad has holes.  And they're all old, it's basically the same group that peaked in the last World Cup (possibly with Terry, Rooney and Lampard being exceptions).

They'll make it to the knockout stage, but I doubt they'll go far.

Offline Peace Bunny

• Seasoned Contributor
    • New Music Transmission
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 05:27:08 PM »
I think 'They Are All Old' is a pretty sweeping statement. Also, Terry, Rooney and Lampard were all at the last World Cup? Or are you saying they are the few players who didn't peak last time?

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 05:51:50 PM »
I think 'They Are All Old' is a pretty sweeping statement. Also, Terry, Rooney and Lampard were all at the last World Cup? Or are you saying they are the few players who didn't peak last time?

Yes, I think they're having a great year, possibly their best in their careers.

The rest of the squad is over the hill and the very few young guys are not terribly promising (except Milner).

Offline zalty

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Feng shui black belt
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 07:01:17 PM »
It's that quadrennial time again when Australian's suddenly develop an fascination for a game we don't normally care about.

As far as our opponents are concerned, Germany has lost a couple of their best players, Ghana lost their best player. Maybe Serbia will have a couple of their players shot in Jo'berg before they play us...

The Aus team are fit but their best four are all coming off injuries. But do I really care about this sport anyway?    :-\
If you threaten me with hell I'll punch your aura.

Offline DG

• The Prophet
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 07:10:46 PM »
I'm rooting for the Socceroos and the All Whites. I was impressed by the former during their last World Cup when they were cheated out of the tournament and the latter, I just like Kiwis and newcomers.

I still love the fact that the "All Whites" are going to South Africa.

It's that quadrennial time again when Australian's suddenly develop an fascination for a game we don't normally care about.

Blasphemer!

There are a few of us Aussie that have football flowing through our veins (literally - instead of hemoglobin I have little footballs carrying oxygen through my body). It shits me that the media spend so much time talking about Harry - lets talk about some of the young Bloods. I fear that Tommy Oar is going to be cut from the squad but he should be there - give one of the old fellas the flick - Culina is rubbish, as is Grella. Arrgh, why can't those people who pass themselves off as the Australian media actually discuss football rather than Harry's groin.

[/rant]
"If you don't like the theory of evolution you should probably skip the practical".

Offline DG

• The Prophet
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 07:11:58 PM »
In addition - perhaps we need a FIFA world cup tipping competition?

If there is any interest I'll set one up later today.
"If you don't like the theory of evolution you should probably skip the practical".

Offline OldScotch

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2010, 07:16:44 PM »
The Korea fans who filled the bars were wild, wild, wild!  I'd welcome another strong Korea run just to see their supporters again!

Completely agreed, that was pretty awesome in '02. They sure are in a tough group though.

Australia's almost-cinderella run in '06 was cool too, I think they're a good darkhorse pick this time around.

The wife and stepson are from Rio, so of course I'm cheering for Brazil. They've as good a chance as anyone, but certainly Spain will be tough.   

The only team I'm against is France since I still haven't forgiven them for handballing their way into the tournament.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 07:21:42 PM by OldScotch »

Offline zalty

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Feng shui black belt
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2010, 07:32:59 PM »
I still love the fact that the "All Whites" are going to South Africa.

;D
A bunch of racists. They're either all white or all black.

Now that Australia is gone they have Oceania to themselves. The system they played under was designed to give Australia a shot at the world cup, I don't think the Kiwi's will have it so easy next time around.
If you threaten me with hell I'll punch your aura.

Offline DG

• The Prophet
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2010, 07:43:33 PM »
Ghana with no Essien might as well be Tunisia.

As an Australian I can say that I'm not sad to see Essien miss out on the world cup. Now if Serbia can miss their flight or forget about their game....

At least this year we wont fact those sneaky, diving Italians ;). That was never a penalty.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2010, 11:26:22 PM »
At least this year we wont fact those sneaky, diving Italians ;). That was never a penalty.

Well, anything that makes Italians unhappy is good for the rest of the soccer world if you ask me.

There's usually one or two big time teams that don't make it out of the group stage, and I've tried to figure out who it could be this time.  It really seems to me that both Holland and France are ripe to be upset.  Mexico is a world class team, Uruguay arent going to roll over and die, and being in the same group as the hosts isn't good for France, and both Japan and Cameroon have the proven ability to win which could hurt Holland too..... 

Giuseppe Rossi (American born player who refused to play for the US, choosing Italy instead) just got cut from the Italian World Cup squad!   You'd be in South Africa right now if you'd worn the Stars and Stripes, traitor!  Haw haw!

Well.  There it is.

Offline jawmo

• Congenitally Ostentatious
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fast 'n bulbous
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2010, 11:35:02 AM »
OK I'll make this simple for youse.
Aussies: you have no shot. Please.
England: always make waves then crash.
US: never enough talent. Boo hoo.
Italy: could make things innaresting.
Portugal: ditto. But not good enough to beat:
Argentina: best player in the world, worst coach in the universe.
Brazil: forsaken the "beautiful game" for crashing tha damn goal.
Spain: probably the best team in the tournament but has come up short in the past.
Objectivity is sacrificed in the service of higher goals.
-- C. Sagan, "The Demon-Haunted World"

personate-rain