Author Topic: World Cup Thread  (Read 34230 times)

Offline Felt Martin

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: World Cup Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2010, 01:06:21 PM »
I still love the fact that the "All Whites" are going to South Africa.

;D
A bunch of racists. They're either all white or all black.

Now that Australia is gone they have Oceania to themselves. The system they played under was designed to give Australia a shot at the world cup, I don't think the Kiwi's will have it so easy next time around.

Hope not. They really only played one decent team (and even that is debateable) to qualify. Really unfair for other countries who missed out.

I'm really sad for Essien. To miss the World Cup after he missed the Brazil game in the last one must be hard to swallow.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2010, 01:49:36 PM »
OK I'll make this simple for youse.
Aussies: you have no shot. Please.
Agreed.
England: always make waves then crash.
Yes, but this time even waves are probably not going to happen.
US: never enough talent. Boo hoo.
Actually this team is one of the best in recent memory.  I look forward to them beating England.
Italy: could make things innaresting.
You uninteresting, right?  The most boring national team ever.  I hope they choke early and not ruin any interesting team's chances with their diving, crying to the ref and fielding 10 centrebacks.
Portugal: ditto. But not good enough to beat:
Meh.  They have some talent, but they play fairly weak.  I'd be surprised if they made any noise.
Argentina: best player in the world, worst coach in the universe.
Agreed.  Most frustrating team, I want to root for them but I can't stand Maradona.
Brazil: forsaken the "beautiful game" for crashing tha damn goal.
I haven't seen them play recently, they seem to be in their fallow year, though for Brazil that means almost nothing, they could field 3 national teams that could compete.
Spain: probably the best team in the tournament but has come up short in the past.
Those were different teams.  This team is a machine.  Other than the loss to the States they have been unstoppable.

Offline DG

• The Prophet
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2010, 07:06:28 PM »

Fair enough. We're just aiming to get out of the group stage.

I'm a fan of Rooney so I think they'll do well. Plus they have an easy group stage and will be playing the second placed team in Australia's group. Hopefully Australia, more likely Serbia since Essien is out.

Will probably come up second in their group and get killed by Germany.

Evil, cheating, bastards*. I hope they get done over in the car park with a tire iron. More realistically, they'll top their group and probably make the 1/4s. A good squad with quite  bit of depth.

I realise that Portugal is in the ascendancy, but for some reason I can see Cote d'Ivorie getting through their group stage and Portugal going home disappointed yet again.

Yeah, about the same chance as Australia.

Still a great squad, loads of talent, good coach, could lift the trophy again.

Spain: probably the best team in the tournament but has come up short in the past.

Understatement of the year. Spain are the worlds greatest chokers when it comes to the world cup. However, I'd have to say they are probably my favorites to lift the trophy.

Darkhorse pick: Netherlands. Played very well in the qualifiers and were undefeated. A reasonable group and they should finish on top. Will face the 2nd placed team in group F (either Slovakia or Paraguay). Meaning a fairly favourable path to the final 8. After that it's a lucky-dip.

*Still carrying the pain from the dive 4 years ago.
"If you don't like the theory of evolution you should probably skip the practical".

Offline jawmo

• Congenitally Ostentatious
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fast 'n bulbous
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2010, 08:03:58 PM »
Agreed.
Yes, but this time even waves are probably not going to happen.
Actually this team is one of the best in recent memory.  I look forward to them beating England.
You uninteresting, right?  The most boring national team ever.  I hope they choke early and not ruin any interesting team's chances with their diving, crying to the ref and fielding 10 centrebacks.
Meh.  They have some talent, but they play fairly weak.  I'd be surprised if they made any noise.
Agreed.  Most frustrating team, I want to root for them but I can't stand Maradona.
I haven't seen them play recently, they seem to be in their fallow year, though for Brazil that means almost nothing, they could field 3 national teams that could compete.
Those were different teams.  This team is a machine.  Other than the loss to the States they have been unstoppable.

RE: USA: I Love that Italy cut Rossi! Serves him right. Pains me to say but the Americans will be lucky to get past Slovenia. They've been that weak. I think Italy cruises thru Group F and smothers Denmark and the Dutch. It's what they have done very successfully the past year or so. Buffon remains the best keeper in the world. I love Spain's game and especially David Silva, but have just been let down too many times in the past. Show me one time!
Objectivity is sacrificed in the service of higher goals.
-- C. Sagan, "The Demon-Haunted World"

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2010, 11:01:13 PM »
RE: USA: I Love that Italy cut Rossi! Serves him right. Pains me to say but the Americans will be lucky to get past Slovenia. They've been that weak. I think Italy cruises thru Group F and smothers Denmark and the Dutch. It's what they have done very successfully the past year or so. Buffon remains the best keeper in the world. I love Spain's game and especially David Silva, but have just been let down too many times in the past. Show me one time!

I don't know if I would use the word "lucky".  I think the US beating Slovenia is a good result, but I wouldn't say lucky.  I think based on past performance, the US isn't being outrageous expecting a win against Slovenia. 

I've seen many of the Slovenian team playing in the Bundesliga and in the lower levels of the UEFA Cup and Champions League.  They're good.  It's not outrageous to think that Slovenia will get the best of the US either.   This is a much more even matchup than most on ESPN in the US seem to think.

As far as Rossi, a friend of mine put it best:

Look, no one's saying Rossi shouldn't have a choice. What we're saying is that he had a choice to be either "us" or "them" and he chose "them". We don't root for "them", we root for "us". Not to put too fine a point on it, but we in fact root against "them". That's what Rossi chose, and I'm unapologetic about that. This is what being a fan is all about.
Well.  There it is.

Offline jawmo

• Frequent Poster
  • Fast 'n bulbous
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2010, 05:40:12 AM »

I don't know if I would use the word "lucky".  I think the US beating Slovenia is a good result, but I wouldn't say lucky.  I think based on past performance, the US isn't being outrageous expecting a win against Slovenia. 

I've seen many of the Slovenian team playing in the Bundesliga and in the lower levels of the UEFA Cup and Champions League.  They're good.  It's not outrageous to think that Slovenia will get the best of the US either.   This is a much more even matchup than most on ESPN in the US seem to think.

As far as Rossi, a friend of mine put it best:

Look, no one's saying Rossi shouldn't have a choice. What we're saying is that he had a choice to be either "us" or "them" and he chose "them". We don't root for "them", we root for "us". Not to put too fine a point on it, but we in fact root against "them". That's what Rossi chose, and I'm unapologetic about that. This is what being a fan is all about.

TBH I don't know a lot about the Slovenes; I do know the US squad and they have been underwhelming to say the least. The recent match against the Czechs didn't exactly instill confidence and if Howard doesn't replace Guzan in goal we are screwed (yes I said we).

Fully agree w/your friend. Rossi would have helped US significantly -- whether that says more about Italy or America is topic for another day.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2010, 05:59:21 AM »

TBH I don't know a lot about the Slovenes; I do know the US squad and they have been underwhelming to say the least. The recent match against the Czechs didn't exactly instill confidence and if Howard doesn't replace Guzan in goal we are screwed (yes I said we).

Fully agree w/your friend. Rossi would have helped US significantly -- whether that says more about Italy or America is topic for another day.

Well, that Czech match was essentially meaningless. 

Carlos Bocanegra, Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Jay DeMerit, Jozy Altidore, Benny Feilhaber and Tim Howard didn't even dress for the game.

When the Captain and 7 others of the starting 11 don't even put a uniform on, it's hard to use that match as any kind of measuring stick.  Don't worry about that!
Well.  There it is.

Online stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2010, 08:12:27 AM »
Wow, line-by-line quote-responses? You guys take this hockey stuff way to seriously...

Offline OldScotch

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2010, 02:53:47 PM »
 ::)  :D :D ;D

Offline jawmo

• Frequent Poster
  • Fast 'n bulbous
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2010, 12:54:22 AM »
Notice theres no 'ooligans in baseball? Think about it.

Offline Skeptress

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Arrested for voting.
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2010, 09:14:08 AM »
Will there be someplace to watch online?  Otherwise I'll have to watch a) with Korean announcers b)with the sound off because Korean announcers make me CRAZY
"The America I loved still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."  -Kurt Vonnegut

Formerly known as funda62.

Offline DG

• The Prophet
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2010, 04:19:45 PM »
I doubt that it'll be online. FIFA make far too much selling the TV rights in each country to allow it to be broadcast on one internationally accessible media.
"If you don't like the theory of evolution you should probably skip the practical".

Offline OldScotch

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2010, 07:31:06 PM »
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/fifaworldcup/broadcast.html

All the matches with the mouse logo will be online - though I don't know if they'll be filtering IPs outside of Canada.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2010, 10:55:54 PM »
You can definitely listen to the games in english online (I know ESPN is offering that with the paid version of their iPhone app, they probably do it from the website too) in which case you could mute and listen to the commentary.

Offline JoelWhy

• Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2010, 12:54:25 PM »
You can definitely listen to the games in english online (I know ESPN is offering that with the paid version of their iPhone app, they probably do it from the website too) in which case you could mute and listen to the commentary.

Listening to soccer games in Spanish is the way to go.  No one yells "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" like the Latinos.

Also:

adidas Originals - Star Wars™ Cantina 2010
"I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

personate-rain