Author Topic: A question of value.  (Read 929 times)

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • So it goes.
A question of value.
« on: June 13, 2010, 02:11:22 AM »
Hello music subforum,

I write to you now with regard to a little, whatcho call... philosophical conundrum.  It comes from a youtube comment that went as follows:

The majority of people who listen to the radio are completely apathetic about what it plays, and have no discrimination whatsoever. It's kind of sad.

Agreeing for the sake of argument that people who just listen to the radio are apathetic, does it follow that they have no discrimination?  And furthermore, just because the radio picked it for them, can't they still like it just as much?  I mean, they have music that they don't like; it's not that they just think it all sounds the same.  So what's to stop them from liking their "crap music" just as much as you like your "good music."    You may be enjoying things about your music that they don't know the name for, but that's just what you like about the music, not how much you like it.

Hoping to hear your thoughts,
-Hanes

P.S.
"You" in the preceding paragraph referred to a hypothetical person who could have written the quoted sentences.

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
Re: A question of value.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 02:36:39 AM »
Ah, it's not that they have no taste... it's that their taste happens to tend for brainless DJ prattle, pop song du-jour, and obnoxious repetitive ads. They could be a niche market and just as discriminating as anyone. Good point.

Naw, really I dunno what you're talkin about.  :-\
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Jack

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 04:41:52 AM »
I live in Texas, and only really have access to two types of music radio.

This one:
Ke$ha - TiK ToK
Jay-Z - Empire State of Mind (feat Alicia Keys) - 'The Blueprint 3' 2009 *HIGH QUALITY*
And this other one:
Jason Aldean - Big Green Tractor (From "Wide Open Live & More")
Alan Jackson;Jimmy Buffett - It's Five O' Clock Somewhere
I don't have a problem with either of those styles of music. No, what I find weird is that the people who listen to the radio (who I know, anyway) will casually switch between these channels like they're playing the same kind of music. Anecdotally speaking, yeah, no discrimination would be a good way to put it.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 04:52:55 AM »
Agreeing for the sake of argument that people who just listen to the radio are apathetic, does it follow that they have no discrimination?  And furthermore, just because the radio picked it for them, can't they still like it just as much?  I mean, they have music that they don't like; it's not that they just think it all sounds the same.  So what's to stop them from liking their "crap music" just as much as you like your "good music."    You may be enjoying things about your music that they don't know the name for, but that's just what you like about the music, not how much you like it.

dunno, I think you'd need to do a little anthropological legwork to figure that out; find out if your assumptions about the listening habits of the general group 'people who listen to the radio' are valid.

with all the stations, tastes, and reasons for having a radio on, I don't know if any important statement could be made about such a broad group.
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline Dirty J. Martini

• Well Established
  • I'm Pro-Accordian and I Vote!
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 11:12:49 PM »
Wait, they play music on the radio again? When did that happen? Somewhere between roughly 1984 and today, it was completely replaced with ads, as far as I can tell.

Offline whitedevilbrewing

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 05:00:17 AM »
There was a bit of a turnaround when they started replacing DJs with Ipods.

I think I have an explanation for this.  Modern country and rap are essentially the same music.  Made especially clear by this song-

Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy - Big & Rich lyrics

[common themes include: my stuff, my town, my car(s), how much money I have and how much women want to do me]

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 10:45:26 AM »
There was a bit of a turnaround when they started replacing DJs with Ipods.

I think I have an explanation for this.  Mainstream American country and rap are essentially the same music.  Made especially clear by this song-

Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy - Big & Rich lyrics

[common themes include: my stuff, my town, my car(s), how much money I have and how much women want to do me]

FTFY
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline Peace Bunny

• Seasoned Contributor
    • New Music Transmission
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 06:48:02 PM »
I love Whitdevilbrewing for introducing me to Big & Rich. Ordered the album immediately.
Get used to it honey. From now on, we'll be spelling everything with letters.

Offline whitedevilbrewing

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 11:58:53 PM »
Correction accepted.

Peacebunny- I hope you get hit by Conway Twitty's tour bus.

personate-rain
personate-rain