Author Topic: George Hrab  (Read 6265 times)

Offline Jack

• Frequent Poster
Re: George Hrab
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2010, 04:40:27 PM »
It was 2 minutes before Sivers jumped ship, IIRC.

the punctuation here tells me I'm missing some sort of pop culture reference.
Not really, I just forgot to add a transition between talking about CDBaby (an indie music website Derek Sivers founded and gave away several years ago for charity) and iTunes. Hrab is on CDBaby (http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/GeorgeHrab) and CDBaby has their entire collection of music on iTunes, so you can also find him there.

ETA: What I mean is that the sample clips on CDBaby when Sivers was president were 2 minutes long. I remember him even making a point about it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 01:06:13 AM by Jack »

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2011, 05:30:56 PM »
I'm not a Hrab fan per se, but I do have to agree with him that pirating music, especially from an indie artist, is akin to stealing. Piracy advocates will argue the semantics of the terms all day long, but the end effect is pretty much the same. If we lived in a world that were fair and people only used downloading as a means to "try" before you buy and bought if they were interested in a 2nd listen then it would be a defensible position, but we clearly do not live in that world. Still, I do not believe that piracy has the detrimental effect that some group like the RIAA would have you believe it does, but to assert that it has no negative financial impact on an artist is absurd. But this is the double edged sword of the internet, the channels into billions of listeners for a nobody like Hrab, or even me, just didn't exist at all 10 years ago, so we have to take the bad with the good.
In the end, when I came to grips with the downloading phenomena, I found I rarely ever listened to anything I didn't buy in the first place, I just had too much crap I accumulated without bothering to even play. The RIAA can throw out the number of billions of pirated songs, but I doubt the market ever would have supported that much music in the first place. It does have a vastly different effect on the small artists would get pirated by their own fans. Too bad really.
Maybe I'll try to find a Hrab album I like and buy it this week...
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2011, 08:34:51 PM »
I'm not a Hrab fan per se, but I do have to agree with him that pirating music, especially from an indie artist, is akin to stealing.

fuck I love these ridiculous Robin Hood moralists

'it's ok to steal from the rich, it's ok to rape a slut, just make sure you leave the regular folk like us alone'
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2011, 08:37:58 PM »
Except that's not what Jack said at all. To paraphrase him, he said that while pirating music is *already pretty awful*, pirating music from a guy who makes an extremely middle class living by creating that music is the king of a-hole moves.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2011, 08:41:05 PM »
Except that's not what Jack said at all. To paraphrase him, he said that while pirating music is *already pretty awful*, pirating music from a guy who makes an extremely middle class living by creating that music is the king of a-hole moves.

with an interpretive leap like that you could earn a scholarship to any disreputable seminary of your choice.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:43:34 PM by GodSlayer »
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2011, 08:44:13 PM »
I'm not a Hrab fan per se, but I do have to agree with him that pirating music, especially from an indie artist, is akin to stealing.
Where in there did he say that pirating music from a non-indie artist is not akin to stealing as well? Do you know what the word "agree" means?
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2011, 09:05:22 PM »
Where in there did he say that pirating music from a non-indie artist is not akin to stealing as well? Do you know what the word "agree" means?

do you know what 'especially' means?

where in there did he speak ill of theft, or speak about "asshole moves"?

Offline Jack

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2011, 09:13:27 PM »
You mean Jeremy, right? I agree with him totally; I just never said that.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2011, 11:05:13 PM »
You mean Jeremy, right? I agree with him totally; I just never said that.
Whoops! I blame it on both your names starting with the letter "j". At least you're not that jackass Johnny Slick, speaking of "j" people. Man, I hate that guy.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2011, 09:55:32 PM »

fuck I love these ridiculous Robin Hood moralists

'it's ok to steal from the rich, it's ok to rape a slut, just make sure you leave the regular folk like us alone'
srsly man, what's your issue?

edited: there are too many cool people on this forum to be brought down by the inconsiderate and rude.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 10:30:54 PM by jeremy.c. »

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2011, 10:40:25 PM »

That's a decent enough paraphrase.  ;D
I do not think it's cool to pirate anything. I think it is especially rude though when you know the person is more sustenance level than Lady Gaga for instance. I think we can all agree that you shouldn't steal money from anyone, but I think most sane individuals would be a little more pissed at you to discover you stole $10 from a cleaning lady at an airport hotel than if you stole $10 from Donald trump. The whole piracy issue rests on the back of the belief that someone (the downloader) deserves something (music, software, movies, etc) without compensating the time of the author. Even the argument that it's try before you buy, when I can find very few examples of someone that doesn't provide samples, still takes control of a creation away from the author without permission or compensation. I give away a lot of music for free, but that's my choice, I spent thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours to create it. It kind of sucks when other people make that choice for you.
If you don't like it, cool, don't take it. If you do like it, then please play by the rules the author asks of you and if it's too restrictive or expensive, well, we're hardly gagging for content out there...

Anyway, back to Geo, I'm signing up for the podcast tonight and I'm looking at his website right now, I'm going to buy something. Any recommendations from the fans on where to start?

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2011, 12:51:39 PM »
but I think most sane individuals would be a little more pissed at you to discover you stole $10 from a cleaning lady at an airport hotel than if you stole $10 from Donald trump.

cultural relativism ftw!

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2011, 01:40:58 PM »
but I think most sane individuals would be a little more pissed at you to discover you stole $10 from a cleaning lady at an airport hotel than if you stole $10 from Donald trump.

cultural relativism ftw!
ha! I think it's important to consider the individual... Better to kick a snarling, drunk guido than an old lady with a walker!  >:D

Offline gs

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • SkepticEvents.com
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2011, 01:57:51 AM »
just ordered Trebuchet... cant wait for it to arrive.

Offline drizz

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2011, 01:53:46 PM »

with an interpretive leap like that you could earn a scholarship to any disreputable seminary of your choice.

HA!

personate-rain