Author Topic: Things people do in movies and on TV that never happen in real life  (Read 37535 times)

Offline ♫♪ FX ♪♫

• Earnest Young Man
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Plutonium is your friend!
    • Is it working?
Re: Things people do in movies and on TV that never happen in real life
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 06:08:11 PM »
Seriously.
It is difficult to believe that a man is telling the truth when you know that you would lie if you were in his place. - H.L. Mencken

“That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons history has to teach.” - Aldous Huxley

Offline Alex

• 5'3" of pure awesome
  • Well Established
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 07:33:06 PM »
when in the process of getting mugged, the victim will say "wait, can't we talk about this?!"

oh wait, I said that....
nevermind. move along.
"Your body is largely carbon. You know what else contains carbon?  Nazi's and AIDS  and dead puppies." --Joe B

Offline MountainManPan

• Banned
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 07:40:16 PM »
when in the process of getting mugged, the victim will say "wait, can't we talk about this?!"

oh wait, I said that....
nevermind. move along.

Did the mugger shoot you after you said that?

Offline EmergentSystem

• Well Established
  • Rawr
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 08:00:29 PM »
The use of defibrillators to restart a heart.
Dr Johnson, they said: “we are delighted to find that you’ve not included any indecent or obscene words in your dictionary.”
“Ladies, said dr Johnson, “I can congratulate you on being able to look them up.”

Offline Nacreous

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Some sort of anthropoid ape, as best we can tell.
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 08:06:04 PM »

Drive on sidewalks.
"The future has been here for awhile; it's just not available to everyone."
-some guy at MIT

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 08:44:19 PM »

Drive on sidewalks.

I don't know what you're talking about, that's a frequent occurrence where I'm from.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 09:40:28 PM »
The use of defibrillators to restart a heart.

or adrenaline to instantly cure a drug overdose.

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 10:02:36 PM »
Lackluster CPR that nonetheless gets results.

Jurassic Park?
The kid gets 10,000 volts knocked through him, gets CPRed back to life in 1 minute and seems fine the rest of the movie.   ::)
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The universe seems ...merely indifferent.
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2010, 10:45:19 PM »
In movies, friends are forever running into one another in crowded cities. Again, this is unlikely to happen (although I did have it occur to me once.)

Actually, this has happened to me many times. Once I was standing at a crosswalk, and looked across the street and made eye contact with a girl who I just happened to know from college. It was really random, we hadn't seen or spoken to one another in 6 years. Another time, it was my ex-roomie from college, who I knew lived in the city but I hardly ever see him. And another time I was having luch in Washington Square Park and looked about 15 feet away from me and there was a chick I went to HS with. I run into co-workers all the time, but one lives in my neighborhood, and the rest I usually run into around where our office is.

So, anyway....it happens. At least, it happens in NYC.

The gigantic, well-lit apartments in movies set in NYC are a totql joke, though. Seriously, the apartment that those asshats in Friends had would go for about 4500 bucks a month in the west village. Seinfeld was about the only person with a reasonable sized apartment, considering he was supposed to have a good amount of money/.

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2010, 10:51:04 PM »
In movies, friends are forever running into one another in crowded cities. Again, this is unlikely to happen (although I did have it occur to me once.)

Actually, this has happened to me many times. Once I was standing at a crosswalk, and looked across the street and made eye contact with a girl who I just happened to know from college. It was really random, we hadn't seen or spoken to one another in 6 years. Another time, it was my ex-roomie from college, who I knew lived in the city but I hardly ever see him. And another time I was having luch in Washington Square Park and looked about 15 feet away from me and there was a chick I went to HS with. I run into co-workers all the time, but one lives in my neighborhood, and the rest I usually run into around where our office is.

The gigantic, well-lit apartments in movies set in NYC are a totql joke, though. Seriously, the apartment that those asshats in Friends had would go for about 4500 bucks a month in the west village. Seinfeld was about the only person with a reasonable sized apartment, considering he was supposed to have a good amount of money/.

I seriously only have seen about 3 episodes of that show.
Weren't they supposed to have pretty decent jobs?
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The universe seems ...merely indifferent.
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2010, 10:55:18 PM »

In the end I think they did, but when it first started they were all losers. Office schlubs, coffee waiters, down on their luck actors, etc. I was more of a Seinfeld fan, myself. Friends' style of humor was kinda....lame.

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2010, 11:05:05 PM »

In the end I think they did, but when it first started they were all losers. Office schlubs, coffee waiters, down on their luck actors, etc. I was more of a Seinfeld fan, myself. Friends' style of humor was kinda....lame.

Ditto that^
I have seen every episode of Seinfeld and still watch the syndicated episodes when I get in bed.  I refer to it all the time.   :laugh:

Offline Jim S

• I demand that you shoot me now!
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 11:07:32 PM »

Living 90%+ of my life in the same county, I used to see people I knew from school all the time.  My wife jokes that when we were dating, she wondered if I was a drug dealer because I was often running into someone I knew.
A bit of dumb, On a flea, On the wing, On the fly, On the frog, On the bump, On the log, In the hole, In the middle of the sea of awesome.

Offline MountainManPan

• Banned
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2010, 02:46:46 AM »
I once ran into someone I knew while I was in China.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2010, 03:17:19 AM »

Actually, Elaine had a good job.  George went from job to job, but had at least one good one with the Yankees. (He also lived with his parents for a while)    The running joke about Kramer was that nobody knew what the hell he did...and Jerry Seinfeld's job was being relatively famous stand up comedian: Jerry Seinfeld.....so yeah, their apartments matched their gigs.....
Well.  There it is.

personate-rain