Author Topic: P&T Bullshit! Discussion Thread  (Read 43146 times)

Offline IRON MAN

• Well Established
    • http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/member.php?u=1292
P&T Bullshit! Discussion Thread
« on: May 18, 2007, 09:45:47 AM »
Haha.  I just saw the nuclear power episode of Bullshit.

Quote from: "Penn Jillette on [i
Bullshit![/i]"]We've got 30 minutes to solve the energy crisis.  No sweat.  We can do that.  And give you tits.

Did Al Gore give you tits?

No he did not.
i]I suck at archaic languages.  I don't understand Latin et al.[/i]

Offline JurijD

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 10:56:23 AM »
Still in the process of STEALING it off the net... so wait a few more hours:D hehe

Offline Ole Eivind

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 11:38:37 AM »
I'll watch it tonight.

Offline Zam

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 04:48:35 PM »
I agree with their conclusion, but it was badly written. It felt like they glossed over the issues a lot. For example, they should have rebutted the argument about the long half life of waste by pointing out that the longer the half life, the less radioactive the substance is. So a half life of a million years means very little radioactive decay takes place.

They also should have included the information about coal smoke containing radioactive material, which I know Penn is aware of from his Patrick Moore radio interview.

And the hybrid car issue should have been a separate episode.

Offline Noah R. Miller

• Frequent Poster
    • http://NRMILLER.COM
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 05:15:10 PM »
Well I wouldnt want to see a hybrid car issue. I think Hybrids suck and thats about it. End of story.

This wasnt really an energy crisis episode, it was saying the hateing nuclear was bullshit which i agree with... Other than that there wasnt much else for them to talk about.
quot;There's only one thing that you can do to get away with the most extrodinary offenses, to morality and truth, just get yourself called reverend."
-Christopher Hitchens

Offline jason

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 06:03:10 PM »
Quote from: "Noah R. Miller"
Well I wouldnt want to see a hybrid car issue. I think Hybrids suck and thats about it. End of story.

Why?
quot;Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick
"Scientific skepticism: the buck stops at reality."

Offline Noah R. Miller

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 06:28:56 PM »
Quote from: "jason"

Why?

Because the cost to much, they dont save on gas and all they do is make people feel good while not really solving any problem.

This would be fine if it wasnt for the fact that they make people think they've become part of some sort of solution when really they're just jerking around pretending to have done something good while spending an assload.

It's a clever marketing trick but thats all.
quot;There's only one thing that you can do to get away with the most extrodinary offenses, to morality and truth, just get yourself called reverend."
-Christopher Hitchens

Offline IRON MAN

• Well Established
    • http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/member.php?u=1292
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 08:55:24 PM »
Quote from: "Zam"
I agree with their conclusion, but it was badly written. It felt like they glossed over the issues a lot. For example, they should have rebutted the argument about the long half life of waste by pointing out that the longer the half life, the less radioactive the substance is. So a half life of a million years means very little radioactive decay takes place.

They also should have included the information about coal smoke containing radioactive material, which I know Penn is aware of from his Patrick Moore radio interview.

Agreed.  The hybrid/lesbian thing is boring as fuck, and a good place to insert actual information instead.

I don't know how much progress you could really make explaining nuclear physics to alarmist greeny arseholes though.  

I mean these are the same kind of people that you could have hiding under the bed by mentioning that the lamp in their bedroom emits electromagnetic radiation.

OMFG!!!
i]I suck at archaic languages.  I don't understand Latin et al.[/i]

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 09:07:32 PM »
I have this on my TiVo but haven't watched it yet.

My only beef/concern with nuclear energy is the lack of any feasible method for waste disposal.  I know this is something of a minor issue, but working for a telephone company I see way too often charging forward with one idea without proper consideration for the glaring deficiencies in the product.

Offline Noah R. Miller

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 09:31:23 PM »
Quote from: "wastrel"
I have this on my TiVo but haven't watched it yet.

My only beef/concern with nuclear energy is the lack of any feasible method for waste disposal.  I know this is something of a minor issue, but working for a telephone company I see way too often charging forward with one idea without proper consideration for the glaring deficiencies in the product.

That is a straw man. There is no lack of safe and simple waste disposal.
-Christopher Hitchens

Offline wastrel

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 09:43:28 PM »
That is a straw man. There is no lack of safe and simple waste disposal.

What do you mean?  Current storage is a short term solution, what is the long term strategy?

Offline Noah R. Miller

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 09:45:30 PM »
No it's the long term.

The amount of waste is minimal and so is the space needed.
-Christopher Hitchens

Offline wastrel

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 09:53:52 PM »
Well, I disagree with your characterization of this as a straw man.  I've not inflated a divergent portion of your argument into an easily refutable or absurd statement, I've instead voiced a concern that I understand to be a significant problem.

I'll do some reading on the subject and come back a little better informed, but I posted under the assumption that that current storage faiclities and methods are not the ultimate solution for this issue.

Offline jason

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 10:00:01 PM »
Australia has been touted as a great place to store the world's nuclear waste, with vast areas of uninhabited (and uninhabitable) geologically stable desert that would be perfect, especially as it's in no ones backyard (so to speak).

Given we could charge for the privilege, it's also a great way to add something to the economy. We've just got to overcome the anti-nuclear bias which has been somewhat ingrained down here...
quot;Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick
"Scientific skepticism: the buck stops at reality."

Offline Noah R. Miller

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 10:04:10 PM »
Quote from: "wastrel"
Well, I disagree with your characterization of this as a straw man.  I've not inflated a divergent portion of your argument into an easily refutable or absurd statement, I've instead voiced a concern that I understand to be a significant problem.

I'll do some reading on the subject and come back a little better informed, but I posted under the assumption that that current storage faiclities and methods are not the ultimate solution for this issue.

Maybe it's not strickly a strawman, but it does create a problem that does not exist.

Granted its a problem that most of the world thinks exists (thanks to anti nuclear jerks) so its not really your strawman but it is a repetion of a false argument.
-Christopher Hitchens

personate-rain