Poll

The Super Bowl winner will be...

Green Bay
8 (72.7%)
Pittsburgh
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: NFL 2010 thread  (Read 50479 times)

Offline Joe B

• Quasi-Jock
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Now with Preposterone
NFL 2010 thread
« on: August 15, 2010, 12:36:22 PM »
Just about to watch the Colts preseason opener and decided the board needs a place to discuss the new season.

Go Colts!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 02:01:18 PM by Joe B »
You underestimate the amount of people who are literally Hitler.
-Colts Homer

Offline Lead Farmer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Do or do not, there is no try.
Re: NFL 2010 thread
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 12:48:56 PM »
how long before this thread warrants a move to explicit?

Offline Lead Farmer

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 12:54:30 PM »
On the plus side, since dumping Comcast for Direct TV in late spring, this is gonna be my first game I get to watch on NFL network.

How bout them lions, living up to their reputation?
23-7, lol!

Offline Nacreous

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 05:34:46 PM »
On the plus side, since dumping Comcast for Direct TV in late spring, this is gonna be my first game I get to watch on NFL network.

How bout them lions, living up to their reputation?
23-7, lol!
Meh, pre-season; the score means nothing. 

The most interesting thing was seeing Ndamukong Suh, in his first game in an NFL uniform, already drawing a double team on every play, and Kyle Vanden Bosch getting sacks.  The Lions' D might be good.  They also have Calvin Johnson, a hot-looking rookie running back, and a tough quarterback with a big arm.

If I were a Lions fan* I'd be looking forward to the season for the first time in a lo-o-o-n-ng time.  Playoffs? No, but a lot more fun to watch.

*Perish the thought.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 06:24:53 PM by Nacreous »
"The future has been here for awhile; it's just not available to everyone."
-some guy at MIT

Offline Nacreous

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 06:24:30 PM »
Just about to watch the Colts preseason opener and decided the board needs a place to discuss the new season.

Go Colts!
How about everyone posts a preseason evaluation for his favorite team?

The Texans have to break out of their "best team that never makes the playoffs" rut or it's start-over time in the coaching department.  That would be a shame, IMO, because Kubiak is a fine coach.  It's not his fault the god damned kicker choked on him last year, but that's life in the NFL. He has to make it happen this year or else.

Bad news:
• The Texans' poor running game was a major problem last year, so they drafted a big rookie back, Ben Tate, whose style matches their blocking scheme.  Too bad he broke his ankle Saturday night.  He's gone for the season.
• Brian Cushing is a terrific player who is also apparently a terrific dickhead.  He is now claiming he tested positive for female fertility hormone because he over-trained and it 'roided him up.  "Over-trained athlete syndrome"  Right.
• Amobi Okoye has shown no sign he will ever be the stud the Texans thought he would be when the they made him their #1 choice 3 years ago, so the D line is still a problem.  They could have had Patrick Willis.  Ugh.
• Mario Williams' production has declined two years in a row.  He takes too many plays off.  Kubiak has challenged him to turn that around.  OK, but what's the "or else" behind that?  Bench him?  And start Connor Barwin? Don't think so.
• Who's going to be the kicker?

Good news:
• Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson are still the scariest passer/receiver combo in the league.
• The Texans have awesome tight end talent with Owen Daniels backed up by Joel Dreessen.
• The defense will be good when Cushing gets back.  It will be pretty good without him if Mario Williams returns to form.

Bottom line: if the running and kicking games get sorted out and the D line produces, the Texans can win their division, if not, they'll miss the playoffs again and Kubiak will be gone.  That's too many ifs in this tough division.  Prediction: 9-7 again and no playoffs.  Feh.

-some guy at MIT

Offline Peace Bunny

• Seasoned Contributor
    • New Music Transmission
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 07:16:49 PM »
I'm a Bears fan, and I am worried, as we suck. We seem way too error prone, just making stupid mistakes all the time. Still, I purposefully chose a 'sleeping giant' team, because I like the idea of going through a bunch of crap before winning something a decade later.
Get used to it honey. From now on, we'll be spelling everything with letters.

Offline Joe B

• Quasi-Jock
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Now with Preposterone
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 07:26:10 PM »
Colts-

Everything is AWESOME! (except for the OL which is total shit and really scaring me).

ETA: of course it was just as shitty last year, so I can only be so worried given that they've gotten better and deeper elsewhere, namely DE (Hughes, Chick), S (Sanders back healthy), WR (Gonzalez back healthy), TE (in-line TE Brody Eldridge), MLB (Pat Angerer) and, dare I hope, an actual return threat (Brandon James).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 07:30:48 PM by Joe B »
-Colts Homer

Offline Nacreous

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 07:27:44 PM »
I'm a Bears fan, and I am worried, as we suck. We seem way too error prone, just making stupid mistakes all the time. Still, I purposefully chose a 'sleeping giant' team, because I like the idea of going through a bunch of crap before winning something a decade later.

Is Lovie a dead man walking?  Sure seems like it.  How is Cutler getting along with that loon Mike Martz?
-some guy at MIT

Offline Nacreous

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 07:34:20 PM »
Colts-

Everything is AWESOME! (except for the OL which is total shit and really scaring me).

ETA: of course it was just as shitty last year, so I can only be so worried given that they've gotten better and deeper elsewhere.

I guess it doesn't matter, 'cause if Manning goes down the Colts are toast, anyway, but their backup quarterbacks look absolutely awful.  Surely they could find better.  Don't they have Jeff Garcia's phone number?

What a great crowd the Colts have at receiver.  I bet a lot of teams will be circling like vultures on final cut-down day.
-some guy at MIT

Offline Jack R.

• Frequent Poster
  • Sci Fi Geek, fencer, free thinker, dog friendly
    • Skeptical Perspectives Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 07:47:56 PM »
The 'skins

'cause I'm curious to see what's gonna happen next.
"What do I think of Western Civilization?  I think it would be a very good idea."  -   Mohandes Gandhi

Offline Lead Farmer

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 08:24:32 PM »

Offline Nacreous

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 09:09:52 PM »
WHY THE ATLANTA FALCONS WILL WIN THIS YEAR'S SUPERBOWL.

Before we get too far along, let’s all agree that Matt Ryan is indeed a star quarterback.
Not yet.  I haven't forgotten how he played in the playoff loss year-before-last.  Let him get over his sophomore slump and put up some big numbers this year, then we'll talk.
-some guy at MIT

Offline Iron Chef - Skeptic

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 10:43:01 PM »
Is Lovie a dead man walking?  Sure seems like it. 
He has another year beyond this one on his contract.  Conventional wisdom (take that FWIW) is he needs a decent showing (i.e. playoffs) or the team gets an enema from GM (if not president) down. 
How is Cutler getting along with that loon Mike Martz?
In the media they are all kissy face & stuff, but who knows.  Their O-line looks like a bunch of turnstiles, so Cutler looks to be running for his life quite often.  That will put a strain on anything.  And w/ the Martz system being as exacting as it is, the talent they have there is suspect of getting it done.  I foresee bad things to happen on the offensive side.
Lead Farmer: "you shouldn't agree with me on this forum.
It's one step removed from dividing by zero."

Offline Joe B

• Quasi-Jock
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Now with Preposterone
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 12:44:10 AM »

What a great crowd the Colts have at receiver.  I bet a lot of teams will be circling like vultures on final cut-down day.

They have weapons on top of weapons for the passing game. Just of the locks to make the roster there's Wayne, Clark, Addai, Collie, Gonzalez, Garçon, Don Brown, Tamme and Eldridge (who wasn't even suppose to be a major receiving weapon. He started more games last year on the OL than at TE! but he looks like a very capable receiver from the in-line TE spot).

Throw in fringe guys that have shown something like Colin Cloherty (TE), Blair White (WR), Sam "Guns" Giguire (WR), Taj Smith (WR), Brandon James (WR/RB/KR), Mike Hart (RB), Devin Moore (RB) and Javarris "Baby J" James (RB and Edgerrin James' little cousin) and there's a LOT of skill position talent there.

That talent and Peyton Manning, is how they (reasonably) expect to get by on offense with the shaky OL.
-Colts Homer

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 01:35:58 AM »
Let's hope the Giants D will improve this year. Really the thing that screwed us last season.

personate-rain
personate-rain