Poll

The Super Bowl winner will be...

Green Bay
8 (72.7%)
Pittsburgh
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: NFL 2010 thread  (Read 50478 times)

Offline Earl_of_Edmonds

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: NFL 2010 thread
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 01:28:26 PM »
2010 will the year of the LIONS!!!!

or not
Losing faith in humanity 1 republican at a time...oh heck....just losing faith in humanity

Offline jaypee

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 01:31:57 PM »
WHY THE ATLANTA FALCONS WILL WIN THIS YEAR'S SUPERBOWL.

Before we get too far along, let’s all agree that Matt Ryan is indeed a star quarterback.
Not yet.  I haven't forgotten how he played in the playoff loss year-before-last.  Let him get over his sophomore slump and put up some big numbers this year, then we'll talk.

As a rabid Boston College fan I can tell you that Matty is the Real DealTM.

"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline Joe B

• Quasi-Jock
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Now with Preposterone
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 01:32:09 PM »
They seem to be moving in the right direction. With Millen gone they are actually adding talent year after year.
You underestimate the amount of people who are literally Hitler.
-Colts Homer

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 01:37:25 PM »
So anyway.

I haven't really been paying too much attention the Patriots in the off-season or pre-season. I think the D will be improved, it's hard to rebuild a franchise while still meeting expectations, but Belichick has done it.

Edelman looks awesome. I mean really, Welker has managed an amazing pace of recovery, but even if he were to miss half the season we might not even miss him. Having Welker and Edelman will be something to behold.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline Nacreous

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 02:20:15 PM »

Before we get too far along, let’s all agree that Matt Ryan is indeed a star quarterback.
Not yet.  I haven't forgotten how he played in the playoff loss year-before-last.  Let him get over his sophomore slump and put up some big numbers this year, then we'll talk.

I sure as hell hope so.  We've had enough big name college heroes fall flat lately.  Did you See Alex Smith, Matt Leinart and Brady Quinn play this weekend?  Bloody awful; I'd be surprised if one of them is still in the league in three years.  And then there's Jamarcus Russell:
I actually have high hopes for Ryan and Flaco.  Now if Stafford, Bradford, Sanchez, Josh Freeman and a couple more of the young guys really blossom, there will be a bunch of games worth watching every week.  It's a great year for quarterback drama.
"The future has been here for awhile; it's just not available to everyone."
-some guy at MIT

Offline Nacreous

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 02:26:12 PM »

Edelman looks awesome. I mean really, Welker has managed an amazing pace of recovery, but even if he were to miss half the season we might not even miss him.
I can't believe that guy.  I thought Welker was a freak; if he is, he has a clone.  I wish the Pat's would come up with some gadget plays to let him throw the ball.

Having Welker and Edelman will be something to behold.
QFT
I'd hate to be a D coordinator in that division.
-some guy at MIT

Offline Nacreous

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 02:35:02 PM »
Let's hope the Giants D will improve this year. Really the thing that screwed us last season.
My off-the-wall prediction: this is Coughlin's last year in NY.  No, really, this year for sure!
-some guy at MIT

Offline JoelWhy

• Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 02:54:32 PM »
I'm a long-suffering Dolphins fan, but I have low expectations this season.  First of all, AFC East is very tough.  You've got Patriots, who are always in the mix.  You have a vastly improved Jets team (gawd, I hate the f*ing Jets!)  And, ok, then you have the crappy Bills.

Dolphins have a good O-line, some good receivers (especially now that Ted "you mean I have to run fast and catch the ball?!" Ginn is gone, and B. Marshall is in the mix.)  Brown and Williams, when healthy, are am amazing duo for any backfield.  And, I think Henne could be something really special.  Plus, even if he struggles, you have perhaps the best back-up in the league with Pennington.

I'm very down on the TE.  Fasano dropped a bunch of passes last season.  He was much better two years ago.  We'll see if he can recover.

Overall, offense looks great on paper.  And, no team has had success with the wild cat offense like the Dolphins have.  But, I'm still worried how well the offense will mesh.

The defense, especially the secondary, is full of holes.  We have a couple of very young CBs who have shown some flashes of greatness, but also flashes of being completely unable to cover top-tier receivers.  The linebacker corps might be great, but I'm not sure what to make of the draft picks.

Team has been ravaged by injuries and off-field problems the past few months.

Ultimately, this could be a very long season.  Worst of all, if things go poorly, I fear it will make Henne lose confidence and ruin his career.  But, maybe I'm just being pessimistic because the Dolphins never fail to disappoint....
"I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 03:11:31 PM »

I sure as hell hope so.  We've had enough big name college heroes fall flat lately.  Did you See Alex Smith, Matt Leinart and Brady Quinn play this weekend?  Bloody awful; I'd be surprised if one of them is still in the league in three years.  And then there's Jamarcus Russell:
I actually have high hopes for Ryan and Flaco.  Now if Stafford, Bradford, Sanchez, Josh Freeman and a couple more of the young guys really blossom, there will be a bunch of games worth watching every week.  It's a great year for quarterback drama.

For my part, I really hope that Sanchez fails.

I hate the Jets. HATE HATE HATE.

Offline JoelWhy

• Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 03:17:08 PM »
For my part, I really hope that Sanchez fails.

I hate the Jets. HATE HATE HATE.

Amen, brother!
"I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 03:18:21 PM »
The enemy of my enemy..

Sucks about Fasano, I noticed his decline last year. He was always my favorite "diamond in the rough" pick in Madden 09.

Offline Nacreous

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 04:11:39 PM »

Another fearless prediction: the Jets are an over-hyped bag of gas that will deflate by the end of the season.  Bunch'a big names, but a cohesive team?  Show me.  I'm picking them behind the Pat's and 'Phins. 

I still want Sanchez to be great, though.
-some guy at MIT

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 04:18:44 PM »
I dunno man, this should be taken as a sign of respect for Rex Ryan, because I'm legitimately afraid of the Jets.

Offline Joe B

• Quasi-Jock
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Now with Preposterone
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 04:20:07 PM »
Sanchez was awful last year and way too few people realize it because of the absurdly high weight given to QB wins. Yeah he was a rookie starting from day 1, but he would have to make a Peyton Manning-esque 2nd year leap just to be above average.

53.8% completion, 12 TDs to 20 INTs, below average Y/A, QB Rating of 63 and took sacks at a higher than average rate despite playing behind a very good line.
You underestimate the amount of people who are literally Hitler.
-Colts Homer

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 04:20:59 PM »
Sanchez was awful last year and way too few people realize it because of the absurdly high weight given to QB wins. Yeah he was a rookie starting from day 1, but he would have to make a Peyton Manning-esque 2nd year leap just to be above average.

53.8% completion, 12 TDs to 20 INTs, below average Y/A, QB Rating of 63 and took sacks at a higher than average rate despite playing behind a very good line.

I realized how bad he was, do I win a cookie? :)

personate-rain
personate-rain