Poll

The Super Bowl winner will be...

Green Bay
8 (72.7%)
Pittsburgh
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: NFL 2010 thread  (Read 52254 times)

Offline Nacreous

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Some sort of anthropoid ape, as best we can tell.
Re: NFL 2010 thread
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2010, 04:46:10 PM »
Sanchez was awful last year and way too few people realize it because of the absurdly high weight given to QB wins. Yeah he was a rookie starting from day 1, but he would have to make a Peyton Manning-esque 2nd year leap just to be above average.

53.8% completion, 12 TDs to 20 INTs, below average Y/A, QB Rating of 63 and took sacks at a higher than average rate despite playing behind a very good line.

The thing about Sanchez is how much he improved toward the end of the season.  Remember, he had basically squat for starting experience when they handed him the ball.  It would have been a miracle if he hadn't sucked.

He's smart, he can make all the throws, he works hard and his teammates respect him.  That doesn't mean he'll be great—there's a lot more to the job—but those qualities are the basics a franchise quarterback has to have.
"The future has been here for awhile; it's just not available to everyone."
-some guy at MIT

Offline jaypee

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2010, 04:54:12 PM »
Sanchez was awful last year and way too few people realize it because of the absurdly high weight given to QB wins. Yeah he was a rookie starting from day 1, but he would have to make a Peyton Manning-esque 2nd year leap just to be above average.

53.8% completion, 12 TDs to 20 INTs, below average Y/A, QB Rating of 63 and took sacks at a higher than average rate despite playing behind a very good line.

The thing about Sanchez is how much he improved toward the end of the season. 

Sorry dude, but that's demonstrably untrue

http://www.nfl.com/players/marksanchez/gamelogs?id=SAN091667

Apart from Week 16 and his first playoff game (against Cincy, who NEVER have any business being in the playoffs), his completion average hovered around 52% in the latter half of the season.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline Nacreous

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2010, 08:05:30 PM »

Apart from Week 16 and his first playoff game (against Cincy, who NEVER have any business being in the playoffs), his completion average hovered around 52% in the latter half of the season.
But the stupid plays and turnovers abated.  He "managed the game" better and the Jets won games.

The jury is still out on him, for sure, but I think he has the chops to be the man for the Jets.  We'll see this year.

I would love to see three powerhouses in that division.  Talk about some intense games; wow!
-some guy at MIT

Offline JoelWhy

• Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2010, 08:07:04 PM »

But the stupid plays and turnovers abated.  He "managed the game" better and the Jets won games.

The jury is still out on him, for sure, but I think he has the chops to be the man for the Jets.  We'll see this year.

I would love to see three powerhouses in that division.  Talk about some intense games; wow!

If my 'Fins go 2-14, with their 2 wins over the Jets, the season will not have been a complete disaster IMO.  ;)
"I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Offline Nacreous

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2010, 08:19:54 PM »
If my 'Fins go 2-14, with their 2 wins over the Jets, the season will not have been a complete disaster IMO.  ;)

That's why I'm glad I'm not literally a "fanatic" anymore.  You get neurotic.  I remember one year my Oilers beat the Cowboys in a preseason game, and it made the year a success in my eyes, even though the team had a losing season.  That's just sick.

I have an entirely different relationship with the Texans.  Sure, I root for them, but if they lose I'm not depressed all week.
-some guy at MIT

Offline Nacreous

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2010, 08:32:34 PM »

OMG, what a stupid play by the Giants' defense to give up that touchdown.

Adios, Coughlin.
-some guy at MIT

Offline jawmo

• Congenitally Ostentatious
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fast 'n bulbous
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2010, 04:54:43 AM »

I'm an Eagles fan so I'll make this brief.

Fuck you all.

Now that's out of the way, I predict an 8-8 season, maybe 9-7 if the O-line stays healthy. Kevin Kolb I'm not worried about because Andy Reid obviously has faith in the kid and he knows a helluva lot more about quarterbacks than all the talking heads on ESPN (fuck them too). The Iggs have the best set of receivers in their history in Jackson, Maclin and Celek. Avant has been a clutch 3d down receiver too. And all of these players are in their early to mid-20s. McCoy is no Westbrook but he showed promise as a RB and Reid doesn't run that much anyway. He won't need to. Philly will score points.

Defense is another matter. Their LB situation was a mess from the get-go when Stewart Bradley got hurt. ACLs take time to heal and we'll see how game-ready he is. Their top pick Graham looks like a beast as a pass rusher but we'll see how he holds up over 16 games. They need a consistent pass rush; they had to blitz too often last year and gave up way too many big plays as a result.

Finally, about Donovan. Yeah, I loved him but goddamn it he just threw the ball in the ground too many times and was never quite accurate enough when it counted. And he was hurt. A lot. Am I sorry to see him go? Yes. Was it time to let him go? Yes. No. 5 will put up decent numbers with the Skins if they can keep him alive (a big if) but they don't have any receivers there. I feel sorry for him -- they finally get him some great WRs and he's out the door.

So yeah, I figure maybe 9-7 with a new QB and so many other moving parts. It's a tough division -- if they were in the NFC West they'd win 10 or 11. They'll beat the Redskins twice. The Giants will be better, so maybe split there. Those fucking Cowboys I worry about. (If there is a God, they will not reach the Super Bowl. This is my ultimate test of the Supreme Being.) But you never know. Fat Andy got deep in the playoffs with Jeff Garcia for crissakes.
Objectivity is sacrificed in the service of higher goals.
-- C. Sagan, "The Demon-Haunted World"

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2010, 07:39:12 AM »
Token Detroit Lions fan checking in.

Sorry in advance for Thanksgiving Day.  If it makes you feel any better, it's probably the only national TV game we'll get all year, so you only HAVE to watch us once.

That is all.
Well.  There it is.

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2010, 09:09:11 AM »

Fuck you all.

Now that's out of the way, I predict an 8-8 season, maybe 9-7 if the O-line stays healthy. Kevin Kolb I'm not worried about because Andy Reid obviously has faith in the kid and he knows a helluva lot more about quarterbacks than all the talking heads on ESPN (fuck them too). The Iggs have the best set of receivers in their history in Jackson, Maclin and Celek. Avant has been a clutch 3d down receiver too. And all of these players are in their early to mid-20s. McCoy is no Westbrook but he showed promise as a RB and Reid doesn't run that much anyway. He won't need to. Philly will score points.

Defense is another matter. Their LB situation was a mess from the get-go when Stewart Bradley got hurt. ACLs take time to heal and we'll see how game-ready he is. Their top pick Graham looks like a beast as a pass rusher but we'll see how he holds up over 16 games. They need a consistent pass rush; they had to blitz too often last year and gave up way too many big plays as a result.

Finally, about Donovan. Yeah, I loved him but goddamn it he just threw the ball in the ground too many times and was never quite accurate enough when it counted. And he was hurt. A lot. Am I sorry to see him go? Yes. Was it time to let him go? Yes. No. 5 will put up decent numbers with the Skins if they can keep him alive (a big if) but they don't have any receivers there. I feel sorry for him -- they finally get him some great WRs and he's out the door.

So yeah, I figure maybe 9-7 with a new QB and so many other moving parts. It's a tough division -- if they were in the NFC West they'd win 10 or 11. They'll beat the Redskins twice. The Giants will be better, so maybe split there. Those fucking Cowboys I worry about. (If there is a God, they will not reach the Super Bowl. This is my ultimate test of the Supreme Being.) But you never know. Fat Andy got deep in the playoffs with Jeff Garcia for crissakes.

I think Kolb will do well, you guys need to get rid of Vick. I have no idea what Reid's reasoning is with that one.

Also, Eagles fans are the worst fans in the world. You make the Yankee Stadium "Bleacher Creatures" look like proper English gentleman.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline JoelWhy

• Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2010, 10:13:51 AM »
Token Detroit Lions fan checking in.

Sorry in advance for Thanksgiving Day.  If it makes you feel any better, it's probably the only national TV game we'll get all year, so you only HAVE to watch us once.

That is all.

Ooooooh, yea.  You win.  You have my deepest sympathies.
"I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2010, 10:23:20 AM »
Well.  There it is.

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2010, 10:49:10 AM »

All that needs to be said about "Iggles" fans....

http://www.theonion.com/articles/donovan-mcnabb-id-like-to-thank-the-ungrateful-ove,17235/

HAHAHA.. I'm losing it with this one:

McNabb then wished probable Eagles starting QB Kevin Kolb luck winning the next 25 Super Bowls "because nothing else will be enough," gave all Philly fans the finger "because I can't give them all cancer," sighed with pleasure, and went to turn in his Eagles playbook to the Redskins' defensive coordinators.

Offline jawmo

• Congenitally Ostentatious
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fast 'n bulbous
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2010, 04:46:39 PM »

Fuck you all.

I think Kolb will do well, you guys need to get rid of Vick. I have no idea what Reid's reasoning is with that one.

Vick can still play. I hate the guy but he is serviceable in certain limited situations. BTW this was Jeff Lurie's call ultimately: Reid obviously gave assent but Vick is a Lurie "salvation" project all the way. And it was a relatively cheap pickup, no picks, incentive-laden contract etc. Vick is better than most backup QBs. We'll see.

Also, Eagles fans are the worst fans in the world. You make the Yankee Stadium "Bleacher Creatures" look like proper English gentleman.

Blah, blah, blah. You want lousy fans? Come live in Washington for a coupla years. They know fuck-all about football and until recently fell for the same Big Name Free Agent wet dream that Vinnie Cerrato and Danny Snyder sold them.

Philly phans know their sports. They boo their teams when they suck. They boo Santa when he sucks (and he did). Who can blame them? Their teams (in this case the Iggles) sucked for decades before the Vermeil era. Then they sucked again until Buddy Ryan built an all-time defense, but forgot about an O-line. Then they sucked again (remember Rich Kotite and Ray Rhodes? Didn't think so.) until Reid arrived. When their teams don't suck, or even good, they fill the house every game. Compare that to the fair-weather fans of Washington, or a good many other cities...

Oh well, go on hatin'. We couldn't care less you know.  :P
Objectivity is sacrificed in the service of higher goals.
-- C. Sagan, "The Demon-Haunted World"

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2010, 04:48:54 PM »

Philly phans know their sports. They boo their teams when they suck. They boo Santa when he sucks (and he did). Who can blame them? Their teams (in this case the Iggles) sucked for decades before the Vermeil era. Then they sucked again until Buddy Ryan built an all-time defense, but forgot about an O-line. Then they sucked again (remember Rich Kotite and Ray Rhodes? Didn't think so.) until Reid arrived. When their teams don't suck, or even good, they fill the house every game. Compare that to the fair-weather fans of Washington, or a good many other cities...

Oh well, go on hatin'. We couldn't care less you know.  :P

Spoken like a true Phan.

What can I say? How does one respond to such self-assured swagger?

Oh well, you guy still only have like one championship out of all four of your sports teams in the past 26 years, meanwhile Boston has.. at least six off the top of my head. I can live with that.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2010, 05:00:15 PM »
I've heard Philadelphia fans boo Mike Schmidt.

In person.

Totally unforgivable.

Most teams have one or two "Un-booable" figures.  Jerry Rice would be one for San Fran fans.  Steve Yzerman is one for Detroit. 

Mike Schmidt should CLEARLY be one of those figures for Philly.  But I was at a game in which he was treated like crap by the home crowd.

That's the day I lost all respect for all Philadelphia fans.

They're savages. Unworthy of the teams that play for them.
Well.  There it is.

personate-rain