Author Topic: Introduce yourself here!  (Read 436156 times)

Offline Wendy

• Brand New
Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2006, 09:22:42 AM »
Wow. Don't I feel dumb and happy to be here.

I'm not a guy, not married, but I do have a dog.

A freakishly overwhelming amount of people close to me actually believe in the usual nonsense The Skeptic's Guide breaks down, so to me the podcast besides being entertaining and educational, is almost personal. Hehe

So thanks guys.
 friend: So what do you call someone who is not a creationist?

Me: Sane.

Offline Paulhoff

• Seasoned Contributor
Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2006, 09:39:23 AM »
Unfortunately we get a few here that believe in dumb things to, but more that don’t.

Paul

:D  :D  :D
color=blue]"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein
Much worse than the Question not asked, is the Answer not Given. - mine
Never in the history of humankind, have so many, known so little, about so much.[/color]

Offline Jaan

• Off to a Start
Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2006, 05:54:27 AM »
Hi everyone ...

I was first introduced to the community waaaaaaay back in 2000 when the New England Skeptical Society put on a lecture about how to raise a skeptical child in Cambridge MA.  I was working at Cambridge Community Television back then and recorded it.  Oh, if anyone here was there, I hope it got finished and I apologize if it didn't.  My days there were numbered ... let's just say that the first issue I had with the Executive Director was that she asked me what my astrological sign was during my job interview, and things kinda went downhill after that.  Everyone else seemed to like me though and I still have friends from that time.

I also may very well be the only person on Earth that can say James Randi helped him get a girlfriend.  I met a great girl and it was one of those things where I liked her so much I didn't want to call her right away because I always act like a goofball when I like a girl that much.  A couple of days after I met her Randi gave me props in his weekly commentary and she called me up to congratulate me.  I didn't even know she read it.  That scored a lot of points to be sure.  She had to move for work though.  Alas.

I'm single, Atheist, got 1 dog, 2 cats, 2 cars, 3 computers, 4 guitars, 5 bicycles, 8 paintball guns and I speak 2 languages (c:

Don't even ask me how many TV's I got ...

Quote from: "Thakkus"
Paul
I still remember when Elvis died in 1977.  I was seven years old.  I remember the T.V. news talking about it.
I remember that day too.  I was 7 as well, and I was visiting my favorite aunt up in Canada.  That day was the first day I tried white chocolate, from a bakery.  I've loved it since that day.  Funny the things we remember.
o matter where you go, there you are ...

Offline Cecil

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Cognitive Dissonance
Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2006, 12:55:11 PM »
Greetings,

My name is Cecil and I'm from Chicago. I listen to the show and love it.

It has helped me become a better skeptic and recognize fallacious arguments. It's been a great experience and the show keeps getting better. I love the format, the panel and the topics.

Keep up the good work!
"The least questioned assumptions are often the most questionable." ~ Paul Broca

Offline Paulhoff

• Seasoned Contributor
Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2006, 03:24:34 PM »
My son was only a few months old when Elvis died. I saw Elvis with my wife of one year then, when I was stationed near Wichita Kansas in 1972.
color=blue]"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein
Never in the history of humankind, have so many, known so little, about so much.[/color]

Offline bort

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Nondiscovery blog
Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2006, 09:42:55 PM »
I was two years old when Elvis died, and just found out from this forum that he died in 1977.  I was married in Hawaii on Elvis's Birthday.  Does that count for anything?
"Those that believe everything they read, should not read" - ?

Need to combat the discovery institute? http://nondiscovery.wordpress.com
Help with DNA analysis? http://www.bio-fyi.com

Offline Paulhoff

• Seasoned Contributor
Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2006, 09:53:35 PM »
Only if you had grilled peanut butter and banana sandwiches at your wedding.

Paul

Offline Wonko the Sane

• Well Established
Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2006, 10:17:04 PM »
I was -9 years old when elvis died.
'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

"People in bamboo houses should not throw pandas" -Jesus

Offline Paulhoff

• Seasoned Contributor
Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2006, 10:24:17 PM »
Nothing like a negative personality.  :wink:

Paul

Offline Jaan

• Off to a Start
Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2006, 11:26:36 PM »
Quote from: "bort"
I was married in Hawaii on Elvis's Birthday.  Does that count for anything?
Was Venus in the house of Uranus?

This could have dire consequences ... you need to send me some money so I can save you.
o matter where you go, there you are ...

Offline Wonko the Sane

• Well Established
Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2006, 11:39:20 PM »
Quote from: "Jaan"
Quote from: "bort"
I was married in Hawaii on Elvis's Birthday.  Does that count for anything?
Was Venus in the house of Uranus?

This could have dire consequences ... you need to send me some money so I can save you.
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2006, 11:34:06 AM »
Just started listening to the pod cast and what got me hooked was the podcast with Michael Shermer and James Randi I really enjoy them both. It is also nice to have a female voice on the show.  Rebecca Watson gives a good  female point of view on the podcasts.  

Oh and to "cyborganics" I did'nt see that you are using xenu as an alias if you want I will change mine login name to something else?
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Wonko the Sane

• Well Established
Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2006, 02:04:44 PM »
Yeah it was their first show with Randi that got me hooked too. Welcome

-All Hail the evil galatic lord Xenu! :lol:  :lol:

Offline Paulhoff

• Seasoned Contributor
Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2006, 02:24:08 PM »
I am very, very lucky in that I see Randi at his monthly, end of the month meetings. He is very approachable and has no airs about him.

Paul

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2006, 04:45:50 PM »
Who out there will follow in Randi's footsteps when he can't do this any more? I know Randi is not in the greatest health and he has the ability to stand on his own with anyone out there. Not to take anything away from any one on the podcast but Randi is in a class of his own.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams