Author Topic: Introduce yourself here!  (Read 423557 times)

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
Re: Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #6015 on: February 28, 2017, 03:04:58 PM »
That last one was a joke. But seriously, I have experienced some wacky things in the pat few years. I haven't published much. I am trying to formulate my understanding so that I can make a point without it coming across as too conspiratorial.

Sounds fun, I'll look forward to it.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Eli

• Off to a Start
« Reply #6016 on: March 02, 2017, 06:09:15 PM »
Hello everyone.

I discovered the SGU sometime last summer and have since listened to the whole catalog. I listen to a lot of radio and podcasts because I run a farm full time so I'm home alone with just animals and physical labor like 90% of my day.

I studied philosophy in college and I just can't get enough of learning and logical debate, so I'm trying to get back into areas that actual provide that kind of thing instead of binging netflix or playing video games in all my free time.

Eli

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #6017 on: March 02, 2017, 06:11:45 PM »
I studied philosophy in college and I just can't get enough of learning and logical debate, so I'm trying to get back into areas that actual provide that kind of thing instead of binging netflix or playing video games in all my free time.

I always love metaphysics and existentialism. Have you checked out this thread? (http://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,48263.0.html) It is in the "Skepticism / Science Talk" section.

Offline stands2reason

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #6018 on: March 02, 2017, 06:18:25 PM »
Unfortunately, there is no dedicated philosophical section on here. You will mostly find that in politics. Otherwise, we have people trying to exercise empirical scientific skepticism on the science section, but then it always turns into a half-baked philosophical debate when we find we don't have overwhelming case-closing evidence on their pet theory.

Offline Eli

• Off to a Start
« Reply #6019 on: March 02, 2017, 06:26:39 PM »
Honestly, any conversation that's moderately intelligent will be an improvement. I feel like I'm trapped in an anti-intellectualist hellhole out here.  I live in the middle of nowhere in a very, very religious area. Michele Bachman was our representative.

Is there an app or anything you guys use to make forum-browsing more mobile-friendly?

Offline Eli

• Off to a Start
« Reply #6020 on: March 02, 2017, 06:28:54 PM »

[/quote]

I always love metaphysics and existentialism. Have you checked out this thread? (http://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,48263.0.html) It is in the "Skepticism / Science Talk" section.
[/quote]

Looks like I found my distraction during tonight's milking. Thanks.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #6021 on: March 02, 2017, 07:40:29 PM »
Honestly, any conversation that's moderately intelligent will be an improvement. I feel like I'm trapped in an anti-intellectualist hellhole out here.  I live in the middle of nowhere in a very, very religious area. Michele Bachman was our representative.

So you're out past St Cloud? I couldn't live there either. At least MN religiosity isn't Southern Baptist religiosity... damning with faint praise, I realize.  :laugh:
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline stands2reason

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #6022 on: March 02, 2017, 08:14:53 PM »
I'm surprised that we don't have more new members in the politics section with all the wacky stuff happening in American politics, especially considering that it is member-only. I know skeptical politics can be like a frying pan, but if you are interested in a more gnostic (as in outside-the-box) discussion, there is some lively discussion that is afar from the usual fare. I think this forum is special in the manner in which it uses its rules to maintain civil discourse rather than devolving into trolls banging each other over the head with their respective political clubs.

Offline Eli

• Off to a Start
« Reply #6023 on: March 02, 2017, 09:47:42 PM »

So you're out past St Cloud? I couldn't live there either. At least MN religiosity isn't Southern Baptist religiosity... damning with faint praise, I realize.  :laugh:

I grew up a bit west of St Cloud, now I live a bit east of St Cloud. I was forced to go to Catholic school even though my parents were Christmas-and-Easter types at best, for the "quality of education". I remember when I thought being a Lutheran was being scandalously liberal.

My partner commutes to Minneapolis every day. I like the idea of the city but I love the farm life. So much cool shit you get to see working with animals and nature every day. Also I'm kind of a hermit at heart.

As far as politics go, that's exactly what I'm looking for. My own logical consistency won't let me endorse either political party and be able to sleep at night. I consider myself sort of a liberal libertarian...in that, I'm all about both forward progress and freedom of choice.

Offline cmrwrangler

• Brand New
« Reply #6024 on: March 28, 2017, 10:11:44 AM »
Howdy, long time listener, first time poster.  Located in Alberta, Canada and decided to start becoming more active online after getting frustrated at the number of people I see in new media like youtube gaining popularity by claiming skepticism and reason while producing content that is mostly just neoreactionary complaining about teenage girls.

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #6025 on: March 28, 2017, 10:43:27 AM »
Welcome fellow Canuck. Our numbers are growing!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #6026 on: March 28, 2017, 11:40:42 AM »
Welcome!
To err is human.  To syntax error is System.NullReferenceException

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #6027 on: March 28, 2017, 04:11:57 PM »
I'm surprised that we don't have more new members in the politics section with all the wacky stuff happening in American politics...

I've been mostly avoiding the politics section like the plague since the baboon was declared President. I just cannot deal with it. I've increased my donations to resistance groups, but I do my best to avoid news and discussions of the topic, for the sake of my mental health.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Hex08

• Brand New
« Reply #6028 on: April 26, 2017, 02:31:10 PM »
Hello all! I have been listening to the podcast for a few years and recently started lurking around on the forums. I currently live in Columbus, Ohio and am looking forward to posting here and being part of the community.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #6029 on: April 26, 2017, 02:57:25 PM »
Welcome, Hex08.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck