Author Topic: Introduce yourself here!  (Read 418268 times)

Offline tomangioletti

• Brand New
Re: Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #6030 on: April 30, 2017, 01:12:49 PM »
Hi everyone.  I'm a longtime listener.  I just signed up to become a "Damned Dirty Ape" -- which I've been all my life, but now it's official.  Maybe I'll see some of you at NECSS 2017.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #6031 on: April 30, 2017, 01:19:49 PM »
Welcome!
I like to think of myself as a very hygenic ape.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #6032 on: April 30, 2017, 02:51:01 PM »
Hi everyone.  I'm a longtime listener.  I just signed up to become a "Damned Dirty Ape" -- which I've been all my life, but now it's official.  Maybe I'll see some of you at NECSS 2017.

Welcome. I upgraded from Damn Dirty Ape to whatever the next level is, because I don't like being called a damn dirty ape. I'm not dirty, and though we are distant cousins of the apes (hell, we're distant cousins to a mushroom) we are not apes. Damn dirty ape is, to my ear, insulting. The next level (which I forget what they call it) is some sort of sci-fi reference whose meaning I do not know and don't care to learn, so it does not offend me. And I wanted to support them with a bit more money, being my favorite podcast, just a little above Oh No Ross & Carrie, since the latter is shorter and comes out less frequently.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline EverydayAstronaut

• Brand New
« Reply #6033 on: May 09, 2017, 01:10:32 PM »
Hi everyone! Long time listener (6 years), but I haven't been very active in the community. I do science communication and spaceflight advocacy through a project called "Everyday Astronaut" who's mission is to "Bring space down to Earth for everyday people" by digesting technical rocket science with humor and imagination. It started as a photo series (with a total of around 20 million views on imgur - http://imgur.com/a/hwZKq ) and now I've shifted more to YouTube (http://youtube.com/everydayastronaut) to tackle direct questions about spaceflight. I deal with flat-Earthers and science deniers every day and I've been honing in how to deal with them. The SGU has helped me so much. Thanks everyone! I can't wait to become a better community member and not just a fly on the wall.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 04:53:52 PM by EverydayAstronaut »

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #6034 on: May 10, 2017, 02:20:24 AM »
Hi everyone! Long time listener (6 years), but I haven't been very active in the community. I do science communication and spaceflight advocacy through a project called "Everyday Astronaut" who's mission is to "Bring space down to Earth for everyday people" by digesting technical rocket science with humor and imagination. It started as a photo series (with a total of around 20 million views on imgur - http://imgur.com/a/hwZKq ) and now I've shifted more to YouTube (http://youtube.com/everydayastronaut) to tackle direct questions about spaceflight. I deal with flat-Earthers and science deniers every day and I've been honing in how to deal with them. The SGU has helped me so much. Thanks everyone! I can't wait to become a better community member and now just a fly on the wall.

Welcome!! I look forward to your presence here!
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Occasional Forum Necromancer
« Reply #6035 on: May 17, 2017, 02:33:24 PM »
Hi everyone! Long time listener (6 years), but I haven't been very active in the community. I do science communication and spaceflight advocacy through a project called "Everyday Astronaut" who's mission is to "Bring space down to Earth for everyday people" by digesting technical rocket science with humor and imagination. It started as a photo series (with a total of around 20 million views on imgur - http://imgur.com/a/hwZKq ) and now I've shifted more to YouTube (http://youtube.com/everydayastronaut) to tackle direct questions about spaceflight. I deal with flat-Earthers and science deniers every day and I've been honing in how to deal with them. The SGU has helped me so much. Thanks everyone! I can't wait to become a better community member and now just a fly on the wall.

You wouldn't, by any chance, be in the Florida area around October would you?

http://www.irlsciencefest.org/

Asking for a friend....yeah....a friend.
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #6036 on: May 17, 2017, 09:28:05 PM »

Welcome, you got yourself a new subscriber.

If you want to fully pimp your channel, feel free to make use of the Member Creations forum.  Would love to see you post some good starter episodes if someone was just getting into your channel.

Offline sickarcher02

• Brand New
« Reply #6037 on: June 01, 2017, 08:35:15 PM »
Oof, been a long time since I've used online forums (think flip phones, AOL, and dial up) so I'm hoping I'm doing this right!

Started listening to SGU about a year and a half ago, found it using Stitcher.
My initial interest was news and discussions about all things science.

I'm an industrial engineer and have worked in the freight industry roughly 15 years. It might not sound glamorous but "if you bought it, a truck brought it" :) And as a public service announcement- those tractor trailer drivers are more afraid of the motoring public than you are of them. Don't cut them off and drive crazy around them. In a battle between an SUV and a tractor with a full trailer weighing thousands of pounds, the SUV is going to lose. Safety is one of my most important values.

I wanted to be an astronaut as a kid and went to Space Camp twice. I applied at Georgia Tech to be an aerospace engineer but the industry was weak in the late 90s and ended up in industrial engineering.

I'm half geek, half girly girl which is why I listen to most SGU podcasts while fixing my hair and putting on makeup.

I probably differ from most listeners in that I have faith, believe in God and I'm a Libertarian. I didn't vote for any of the final candidates in 2016 and instead wrote in who I believed was the best person for President. So it does irk me a bit when the SGU hosts say my kind believes in mythology and that I'm in league with Trump.  I almost stopped listening about a month ago because of this but decided I liked the science talk enough to stay a listener.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #6038 on: June 01, 2017, 09:42:46 PM »
Welcome. You will find all kinds here. Just watch out for that Morvis guy.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #6039 on: June 01, 2017, 10:12:27 PM »
Welcome, sickarcher02. Good to have you on the forums.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #6040 on: June 02, 2017, 05:21:54 AM »
Oof, been a long time since I've used online forums (think flip phones, AOL, and dial up) so I'm hoping I'm doing this right!

Started listening to SGU about a year and a half ago, found it using Stitcher.
My initial interest was news and discussions about all things science.

I'm an industrial engineer and have worked in the freight industry roughly 15 years. It might not sound glamorous but "if you bought it, a truck brought it" :) And as a public service announcement- those tractor trailer drivers are more afraid of the motoring public than you are of them. Don't cut them off and drive crazy around them. In a battle between an SUV and a tractor with a full trailer weighing thousands of pounds, the SUV is going to lose. Safety is one of my most important values.

I wanted to be an astronaut as a kid and went to Space Camp twice. I applied at Georgia Tech to be an aerospace engineer but the industry was weak in the late 90s and ended up in industrial engineering.

I'm half geek, half girly girl which is why I listen to most SGU podcasts while fixing my hair and putting on makeup.

I probably differ from most listeners in that I have faith, believe in God and I'm a Libertarian. I didn't vote for any of the final candidates in 2016 and instead wrote in who I believed was the best person for President. So it does irk me a bit when the SGU hosts say my kind believes in mythology and that I'm in league with Trump.  I almost stopped listening about a month ago because of this but decided I liked the science talk enough to stay a listener.

This is the best place on the internet (imho) for open discussion. You'll find folks that think and believe everything you can think of... and of course lots of (mostly) polite argument about everything you can think of.

Welcome to the forums, please don't be a stranger.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Philthy302

• Brand New
« Reply #6041 on: June 04, 2017, 07:17:47 AM »
Hey SGU and fellow listeners, glad to be here! Just wanted to say thanks for all you do, it's been great listening and learning from you all.

Offline FairlyInteligent

• Brand New
  • Don't Panic.
« Reply #6042 on: June 23, 2017, 09:04:16 AM »
Hello, fellow skeptics!

I've been a long-time listener of the podcast for several years, and was introduced after I watched the 2014 Intelligence Squared debate "Death Is Not Final," where Steven Novella argued against the motion. If you haven't seen the debate, by the way, I highly recommend it.

I work as an Electrical Engineer testing image sensors, most of which become spaceflight-qualified and become integrated into various NASA telescopes to perform awesome science (A recent example: Solar Orbiter Heliospheric Imager (SoloHi). I think skepticism aligns well with the work I do as an engineer, as sometimes it's easy to become fooled by my senses (e.g., data appearing better than expected), and to continually question my assumptions.

My other interests involve rational veganism, environmental awareness/stewardship (read: I recycle!), and an (arguably) unhealthy fascination with science officer Spock.

Any vegans here? I'm interested in further developing awareness and sound reasoning with regards to controversial topics within the vegan -and skeptic- community. I'm motivated by the scientific method, following the evidence wherever it may lead, and encouraging others to adopt a scientific perspective. I'd like to see more people, especially within the vegan community, have their beliefs align with the evidence of reality.

One of my favorite quotes, which puts to words my thinking, by Isaac Asimov:

"I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement, and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it. The wilder and more ridiculous something is, however, the firmer and more solid the evidence will have to be."

I look forward to posting here, and being part of the community.
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, several electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #6043 on: June 23, 2017, 09:47:56 AM »
Welcome!  We have at least two other vegans here (that I know of off the top of my head) who are fairly active posters.
(click to show/hide)

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #6044 on: June 23, 2017, 09:48:18 AM »
Welcome, FairlyIntelligent!  Yep, got a vegan or two.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

personate-rain