Author Topic: Introduce yourself here!  (Read 505481 times)

Offline JimOfAllTrades

• Brand New
Re: Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #6105 on: September 23, 2018, 07:32:09 PM »
I'm also here because of a reference from ISF.  Just looking for interesting science and skeptical information.  I'm mostly a lurker but will post from time to time.

I also tried "Steven" in the registration questions several times.  Finally thought of trying "Steve".  Oh well, I never claimed to be the quickest guy in the room.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #6106 on: September 23, 2018, 08:15:15 PM »
I think it was a different question when I signed up years ago. :) Welcome aboard.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #6107 on: September 26, 2018, 07:09:28 PM »
We used to get people coming into chat looking for the answer to the question "What is the last name of podcaster Jay?"  I seem to remember certain members of the Mod Squad toying with these people, and others giving them the answer immediately.

Welcome, new folks!  Brilligtove will fetch you a beer.  :cheers:
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #6108 on: September 26, 2018, 07:14:36 PM »
We used to get people coming into chat looking for the answer to the question "What is the last name of podcaster Jay?"  I seem to remember certain members of the Mod Squad toying with these people, and others giving them the answer immediately.

To be fair though, a lot of people can't tell the difference on the podcast between Jay, Steve, and Bob, so they may accidentally use Steve or Bob's last name instead... :P
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #6109 on: September 26, 2018, 07:40:39 PM »

To be fair though, a lot of people can't tell the difference on the podcast between Jay, Steve, and Bob, so they may accidentally use Steve or Bob's last name instead... :P

I find that interesting. I have never had any trouble telling them apart - after the first few episodes of course. Their voices are completely different to me.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #6110 on: September 26, 2018, 07:43:38 PM »

I find that interesting. I have never had any trouble telling them apart - after the first few episodes of course. Their voices are completely different to me.

somebody missed the joke.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #6111 on: September 26, 2018, 08:06:53 PM »

somebody missed the joke.

But it's true, though, isn't it? I've seen people say in various episode threads that they have trouble telling the hosts apart.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #6112 on: September 26, 2018, 08:18:04 PM »
It’s a trick question. The podcast is opened but a woman with a British accent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #6113 on: September 26, 2018, 08:30:05 PM »

Iszi Lawrence, yes. Incidentally she was not paid a cent for that particular voiceover gig. What does she have to do with the similarity or lack thereof between the voices of the Novellae?

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #6114 on: September 26, 2018, 08:31:38 PM »

Iszi Lawrence, yes. Incidentally she was not paid a cent for that particular voiceover gig. What does she have to do with the similarity or lack thereof between the voices of the Novellae?
:laugh:
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #6115 on: September 27, 2018, 12:57:28 AM »

onfortunately i slippt and fell and the beer was spilt down my doublet which was a surprisingly good funnel and the shotgunning was epic what sorry um

I dropped it.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Eevah

• Brand New
« Reply #6116 on: April 14, 2019, 02:56:28 PM »
Hi, Not new to skepticism but to this forum. I used to be on James Randi forum just before it closed and a few others but wandered off due to the infighting. THought i redip y toe in the skeptical pond and as I listend to SGU, thought why not peek and lurk and see what is what.
If you ponder enough, a thought will occur, just not necessarily the answer you wanted.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #6117 on: April 14, 2019, 11:21:58 PM »
Hi, Not new to skepticism but to this forum. I used to be on James Randi forum just before it closed and a few others but wandered off due to the infighting. THought i redip y toe in the skeptical pond and as I listend to SGU, thought why not peek and lurk and see what is what.

Hey there. In case you weren't aware, the JREF Forum still exists under its new identity and ownership as the International Skeptics Forum. Still going strong despite persistent rumours of our demise.

personate-rain