Author Topic: Catcher in the Rye = Overrated  (Read 9203 times)

Offline Arwen Evenstar

• Not Enough Spare Time
Catcher in the Rye = Overrated
« on: August 27, 2010, 11:09:38 PM »
Does anyone else dislike this book as much as I do?
Here is my review of the book
"It reads like a  boring diary of a whinny teenager"
not very articulate, but oh well  ::)

So what are your opinions about this piece of shit book?

Offline MountainManPan

• Banned
  • Frequent Poster
Re: Catcher in the Rye = Overrated
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 11:15:28 PM »
I read it the past year on accounta the Salinger died. I thought it was kind of 'meh'.

"And you know what really grinds me gears....this

and this annoys me
and that is annoying
you know what really bugs me
so i went to the park
but it was dark
so i snuck home
and my sister said "YOU GOT KICKED OUT OF SCHOOL
then i danced with an ugly lady
and hired a hooker
but got punched
life sucks

Offline Arwen Evenstar

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 11:19:21 PM »
^ you just summarized the book

Offline Da5id

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 02:12:54 AM »
I thought it was good but nothing spectacular. The problem with this book is that it is built up as one of the greatest books ever written which is an impossible goal to meet. I have also found that most "classic" literature suffers from this same problem (e.g. Moby Dick or The collective works of Shakespeare). I am sure this problem also extends to film and music.
"If all the animals on the equator were capable of flattery, then Thanksgiving and Hallowe'en would fall on the same date."
-Danny Ocean

Offline Bunsen

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Big Pharma wants you to think cooked milk is safe!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 02:15:55 AM »
The problem with this book is that it is built up as one of the greatest books ever written which is an impossible goal to meet.

Yes.

I have also found that most "classic" literature suffers from this same problem (e.g. Moby Dick.)

God yes.

or the collective works of Shakespeare.

You shut your mouth, you $%&#@!!!

Offline Neon Genesis

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 09:02:18 AM »
So we should all stick to Ghost In The Shell's take on  it?

Offline MountainManPan

• Banned
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 10:08:31 AM »
What does Catcher in The Rye even mean?

Did you read the sequel, The Whistler In The Wheat Field?

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 11:05:56 PM »
I read it in high school, and failed to be impressed. I hate books about dull things happening to dull people. "It's SO like real life!" Maybe. But I actually live real life. I don't need to read fiction versions of it.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 11:50:40 PM »
I enjoyed it. It's up there with my favorites.
I liked the conversational, unadorned style (which matches Holden's own "no phonies" philosophy), the "obsolete vernacular" (apologies Eli Cash), and the turns of phrase Holden would use over and over. In the end, the book made a memorable and REAL character out of him, one I wouldn't mind hanging out with (I guess I like whining about phonies and jocks, too), so it didn't matter that not much happened. The relationship with his little sister really gets me in the guts too. It's beautiful.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 11:59:41 PM »
What does Catcher in The Rye even mean?

As Phoebe points out once in the book, the phrase "Catcher in the Rye" is Holden's mis-remembering of a Robert Burns poem.
Wherever it came from, he makes it into some abstract heroic ideal for himself in the following passage:

"Anyway, I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around - nobody big, I mean - except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff - I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be."
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline KarenX

• Too Much Spare Time
  • A Simple Girl with an Evil Plan
    • More Women in Skepticism
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 12:44:40 AM »
I had a much different reaction to that book when I read it as an adult than when I read it as a sixteen-year-old. I liked it both times, but there is a lot more to it when you aren't reading it as his peer. It is a terrible indictment of how lost a person can get inside adolescence and inside a family or social group, especially in the 1950s and 1960s among the privileged classes, and it makes--to me--the counterculture and all that hippies stuff and all that drug stuff that followed almost immediately after so much more understandable. If you read it with something like The Feminine Mystique and that expose' of newfangled suburbia, The Crack in the Picture Window, you'll practically thank the filthy hippies for their hard, hard work undermining American decency.

I don't think it's overrated at all. Franny & Zooey, though? I read it once as an adult for book club and I can't remember liking it much at all. I just had no patience for the characters. Nine Stories I remember less, and don't remember if I liked it or not.

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 04:39:04 AM »
I read it when I was about 8, I thought it was great at that age.

I don't think I will bother reading it again.

Offline hunter

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 04:48:15 AM »
I wonder if SuperFudge still holds up...
"Everybody understands Mickey Mouse. Few understand Hermann Hesse. Hardly anyone understands Albert Einstein. And nobody understands Emperor Norton."

Offline Nacreous

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Some sort of anthropoid ape, as best we can tell.
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 11:29:06 AM »
Like almost everyone, I read it in high school.  It was part of a class project in English.  Two things stand out in my memory: my cute teacher's obvious infatuation with the book, and my impatience with the self centered main character. 

I'm interested enough by this thread to try it again, just to see how my old fart's impression will compare to my teenage one.
"The future has been here for awhile; it's just not available to everyone."
-some guy at MIT

Offline Ansalem

• Well Established
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 11:59:24 AM »
Like every other book report assignment I had in high school, I've never read it.  ;D

personate-rain
personate-rain