Author Topic: Books for 2010  (Read 11780 times)

Offline goodthink

• Well Established
Re: Books for 2010
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2010, 11:11:27 AM »
Recommend: The Prodigal Tongue. by Mark Abely? Great Read. Anyone can finish it before the new year.

Offline MountainManPan

• Banned
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2010, 12:07:48 PM »
Recommend: The Prodigal Tongue. by Mark Abely? Great Read. Anyone can finish it before the new year.
What's it about?

Offline goodthink

• Well Established
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2010, 02:07:04 PM »
It's about language, english specifically, and how it adapts and changes despite attempts to freeze it in time.

It speculates on the future of english, and languages in general with the rise of globlish and other pidgeon forms of languages that have resulted from the internet and the new global market place of ideas.

Offline MountainManPan

• Banned
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2010, 02:09:11 PM »
It's about language, english specifically, and how it adapts and changes despite attempts to freeze it in time.

It speculates on the future of english, and languages in general with the rise of globlish and other pidgeon forms of languages that have resulted from the internet and the new global market place of ideas.

OH, thanks. I'll check it out. I love reading about language:

THe Story of English
Our Magnificient Bastard Tongue
How We Speak
How Language Works
History of English Language

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2010, 04:50:52 PM »

lolwut. that sounds totes awesome. omg, I should totes read that, thx 4 the recommend.

I'm bad at this newfangled internet speak. v_v
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline MountainManPan

• Banned
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2010, 04:53:32 PM »
Power of Babel by John McWhorter is also very good book on language.

Offline jawmo

• Congenitally Ostentatious
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fast 'n bulbous
« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2010, 04:32:26 PM »

Hey, shameless plug for Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption, by Laura Hillenbrand. It recounts the story of track star Louie Zamperini, who participated in the 1936 Berlin olympics, then became a POW in Japan during WW II. Laura also wrote Seabiscuit, which became a bestselling book, then a hit movie, about a horse of the same name.
Objectivity is sacrificed in the service of higher goals.
-- C. Sagan, "The Demon-Haunted World"

Offline Parrot

• Well Established
    • The Dumbasses Guide To Knowledge
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2010, 04:54:25 PM »

OH, thanks. I'll check it out. I love reading about language:

THe Story of English
Our Magnificient Bastard Tongue
How We Speak
How Language Works
History of English Language

Magnificent Bastard Tongue was one of the books I read this year, I really enjoyed it.  I also love John McWhorter's lecture series' on language from The Teaching Company.

Last year one of my books for the year was "The Adventure Of English" by Melvin Bragg, which was also fascinating.

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2010, 04:57:24 PM »
I just got 59 Seconds and Theory of Everything (Hawking's new book) and I'm really looking forward to reading them. Anyone read either yet?
I am become destroyer of biology.

personate-rain