Author Topic: Catcher in the Rye = Overrated  (Read 9202 times)

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Catcher in the Rye = Overrated
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2010, 08:03:19 PM »
You lack the intelligence to understand why it is great, therefore you believe it is terrible.

"You don't know Dick."

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2010, 10:06:23 PM »
Why did he start the fight with his roommate?
(click to show/hide)

Another part that struck me in the first half of the book...

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 10:13:49 PM by Johnny Slick »
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline baublet

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2010, 10:45:11 PM »
I loved this book so much. My friends and I were playing a game of Napolean in Europe, the most boring, long-winded board game of all time. Turns took hours to play out, and when a battle occurs that doesn't involve you, all you can do is wait it out.

So I went into my friend's library and found this book. I read it in one sitting--their turn took so damned long that we skipped the rest and called it a night, giving me a chance to finish it on the walk home. High school was tough for me, so I connected with the characters and the writing style in a way that made it feel so personal, so modern (I was completely surprised that the book was published years before my parents were born).

This was about my first summer out of college, I believe, but it was enough for me to realize that I wanted to have that affect on people--to tell stories that altered the way people viewed the world. So I switched my majors to something that would involve writing (history, it turned out). Now here I sit in a new city working toward my PhD in history.

I should read it again.

Then again, graduate school doesn't give you much time for reading for pleasure!
"Party loyalty, successful advertising, mob psychology, skillful creation of confidence or, more potent still, distrust, popular fears and passions ... play more significant roles than do the merits of issues or party platforms." - Howard K. Beale, The Critical Year, 1930.

baublet

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2010, 01:59:21 AM »
I think CitR has now become so overrated it's actually underrated.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

personate-rain