Author Topic: Skeptical Game - Idea  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Mittell

• Off to a Start
    • AeonSpire
Skeptical Game - Idea
« on: September 05, 2010, 05:26:12 PM »
I wasn't really sure where to post this since this refers to an idea for a game involving skepticism, as opposed to an actual "Member Creation".

For the past two years I've been increasing aware and interested in two things, game development and skepticism, and while I'm beginning to find some cool things which merge skepticism with other media, ie webcomics, I find myself wondering why there is isn't anything remotely related to videogames.

Now there is a large hurdle which I hit when trying to work out how the two could be merged, "What kind of games could be made around the subject of being Skeptical?".

Since information is a major part of skepticism, obviously, I thought "Why not combine a skeptical resource ie. Skepdic with an interactive game for users to learn and understand topics, how to be rational, how to argue, and many more simple but serious topics?". The next question was "How could I do this?", before collecting any information I needed to know if what I thought was possible, I eventually found a possible answer, a Visual Novel. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_novel

While skeptical information may not be so easy to outline with some form of story/narrative I thought of one or two ideas which would bridge the gap between an Interactive Novel and Information Resource. The main idea I have is the player, guided by a character in the game take on the task of finding the truth in various topics in science/skepticism, and most importantly misinformation an "woo". The character guiding the player could help cover/discuss topics so the player can understand them and confront/aid other characters who are having difficulty with a chosen topic.

In a way it adds some plot/interaction between fictional characters to help players understand the science and pseudoscience behind subects.

And while I have a million more things to say I thought I'd just make this "brief" and see what you guys thought of this as an idea?

Note: As I was writing this I actually came up with some more ideas but I'll leave them to one side for another day.

Offline barocon

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Now we are at the edge of excitement!
Re: Skeptical Game - Idea
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 07:40:47 PM »
I'm also interested in game dev so I have thought about the same questions. Although mostly my thoughts have just been fantasizing about the glorious gameplay and epic stories I would make if I had the power and the time.  ;D

I would make a Cowboy Bebop inspired space drama. In that world, most religious fundamentalists would be living in their own space colonies. The main character's personality would resemble Gregory House from House he would be living in a small spaceship accompanied by a small ragtag team. The main adversaries would be scammers, con-artists, fundamentalist terrorists and people who spread mis/disinformation. The tasks would be to investigating, solving problems and trying gain support of different factions.

Etc, etc... I'm just fantasizing, nothing of this is possible without a experienced game dev studio...  :-\ you get the idea.

-

But seriously, the Visual novel idea might be simple enough to be possible to make if someone just has lots and lots of time and motivation.

Offline Jack

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 07:56:04 PM »
Daniel Floyd has an interesting video on the subject:

Video Games and Learning

Offline Mittell

• Off to a Start
    • AeonSpire
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 04:15:01 AM »
@barocon - That's quite an interesting idea, and I don't think it would be too difficult to try, you could make such a game with very little, but obviously lacking the polish of most professionally developed games.

@Jack - That's a REALLY good breakdown, and did cover one or two things I overlooked, the main problem I have is that I am one of those guys (as mentioned in the video) that do look into the built in encyclopedias, and then google names and references to understand where they come from. But I can't assume all users will do the same.

Offline barocon

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 05:03:18 AM »
Making games, even simple ones, is time consuming as hell. Here's a random blog post by someone about it.

Offline TheLostVertex

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 08:06:53 PM »
Making games, even simple ones, is time consuming as hell. Here's a random blog post by someone about it.

The complexity depends alot on the route you take. One thing for sure, making art assets takes time. Lots of time. There are lots of tools that ease the process of game development greatly, but its still something that needs more time than most people realistically have with out doing it full time.

Offline kinjutsu

• Off to a Start
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 09:35:09 AM »
Was actually thinking about making a similar post here for a while and saw this one :D

I've gotten interested in skepticism over the past few years too, and as a game artist I have been thinking more and more on the idea of a game to promote skepticism, or science in general.  I met Jay at last year's Dragon Con and we talked a bit about doing an SGU game of some kind, but unfortunately nothing ever really got off the ground. 

I dunno if anyone else had seen this but Obama recently announced the STEM game challenge to make educational games promoting science -http://www.joanganzcooneycenter.org/Initiatives-31.html

It looks like a great excuse to get off my butt and try and get something started, and since all you need is a mobile game prototype it seems like a reasonable time frame.  I work at a major studio so I'm intimately familiar of the difficulty of putting out and finishing a game, but I think if we put out a call to the skeptical community we could get some great ideas for content and a lot of support. I'm sure there are other skeptical game developers out there, right?

If anyone would be interested in trying to put something together or just brainstorming that would be awesome.

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 09:35:46 PM »
The easiest thing to make would be a Skeptic's version of trivia pursuit. Old school, I know.
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline barocon

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 11:32:09 AM »
I dunno if anyone else had seen this but Obama recently announced the STEM game challenge to make educational games promoting science -http://www.joanganzcooneycenter.org/Initiatives-31.html
That looks pretty cool. Too bad I'm not a U.S. Citizen or a skilled game programmer.

There probably are some skeptical game programmers but I doubt they are reading these forums. One would probably have to do a lot reaching out to find the right U.S. Citizens with the required expertise.

Offline Mittell

• Off to a Start
    • AeonSpire
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 07:09:48 AM »
If anyone would be interested in trying to put something together or just brainstorming that would be awesome.

I would be interested but I could only repeat the following:

That looks pretty cool. Too bad I'm not a U.S. Citizen or a skilled game programmer.

Saying that it would still be cool to try and do something regardless, why can't we have things like this in the UK? :(

Offline kinjutsu

• Off to a Start
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 02:57:45 AM »
Aw poo, I wish they would have opened it up to non-citizens, seems sort of silly if they're looking for the best submissions. 

The problem for me has always been trying to narrow down ideas to a single topic you could really design a game around.  Some seem so cliche by now, like anything you'd have seen in the magic school bus.  It's also much easier to tackle simple topics for grade school age groups, but that means the high school demo is always way underserved by edu games. 

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 11:58:42 PM »
Logical fallacies! Any skeptical-themed game has to include identifying logical fallacies. How about navigating through a city with the goal of bitch-slapping Sylvia Browne, solving science puzzles and identifying logical fallacies along the way, and if you get it wrong a zombie takes a bite out of you.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 12:01:36 AM by Chew »
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline Mittell

• Off to a Start
    • AeonSpire
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 03:46:06 AM »
Logical fallacies! Any skeptical-themed game has to include identifying logical fallacies. How about navigating through a city with the goal of bitch-slapping Sylvia Browne, solving science puzzles and identifying logical fallacies along the way, and if you get it wrong a zombie takes a bite out of you.

1. Logical Fallacies - Check
2. Science Puzzles - Check
3. Bitch-Slapping Sylvia Browne - Check
4. Undead Apocalypse - Check

This game must be made!!!

Offline Rocket Man

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 09:09:35 PM »
I've been thinking about the concept of skepticism in games for a while now and It's hard to come to an answer.

First: you need to identify your audience, are you making a game for skeptics or regular people so they might get into skepticism?

If somebody can answer that question I will ask more questions that branch off of that one so that we might come up with an idea of what we want to create.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 09:15:02 PM by Rocket Man 36 »

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 10:42:44 PM »
In all seriousness, I'd like to take a shot at making a game, if anyone has any solid ideas.

personate-rain