Author Topic: SGU Australia trip  (Read 15097 times)

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: SGU Australia trip
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 12:27:16 AM »
Townsville is a definite must see for no other reason than I am here and unable to be down there.  The International Airport that receives a big fat zero international flights is quite interesting...  Apparently the GBR is worth a look but I couldn't tell you, I was busy puking through my snorkel most of the day.  It's also pretty hot,  all the time,  I only own one pair of long pants and they're only for show.  Someone told me Townsville has the highest rate of melanoma in Australia!!  That's got to be worth a look...

So you'll think about it?

I have a few friends from up there, do you still get sharks in the storm drains?

Never seen sharks in storm drains, do cane toads though.  Hands down the ugliest creature in the world and quite unpleasant to find in ones shoe. 

You guys like surfing?  If you don't then Townsville beaches are for you!! The swell was a gnarly 10cm today, perfect for swimming!!  Except I hope you bought your stylish stinger suit because the Irukandji jellyfish are quite painful when they sting (so I'm told), and have caused fatalities in the past!!

Cane toads remind me of Fraser island, they'd only come out at night.
The coloured sand is awesome!
The place, might've changed as I haven't been there since 82/83.

Offline Jay

• SGU Panel Member
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 03:19:12 PM »
We are flying into Sydney for the conference.  I think we want to do all the Sydney based activities before the conference and then maybe go to one other city after if we can afford it.  I really want to go to the reef but from what I hear its a long trip and expensive.
I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. - Ford Prefect  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 06:33:58 PM »
Be prepared to spend about $40AU per head for any tourist type thing, like museum, zoo's etc.

I'd like to see you guys down here for a beer.
For the love of dirt you have to drink the local beer!

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 09:15:59 PM »
We are flying into Sydney for the conference.  I think we want to do all the Sydney based activities before the conference and then maybe go to one other city after if we can afford it.  I really want to go to the reef but from what I hear its a long trip and expensive.

In terms of length of the trip its probably not that much longer than other major destinations from Sydney... Youre looking at probably an hour and a half to 2 hours flight to Melbourne or Brisbane, and 3 to get to the heart of the reef.

But youre right about it being expensive.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 09:26:03 PM »
Be prepared to spend about $40AU per head for any tourist type thing, like museum, zoo's etc.

Wow... I just looked into the prices. Taronga Zoo is expensive! $43! I dont remember it being that bad last time I went. (edit: Although if a group of 12 or more were to be organised it goes down to $34)

Apart from that, though, I think youre overestimating. The Melbourne zoos are only $25 full price, and museums like the Melbourne Museum or Sydney Powerhouse are only in the $10 a head range. Food and souvenirs are expensive if you buy them there of course, but there are ways to avoid that.

Plus of course seeing the opera house and the bridge are free :) Unless you want to do a bridge climb.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Moloch

• Frequent Poster
  • sic semper molemannis
    • Friend of Reason Blog
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 09:39:33 PM »

Wow... I just looked into the prices. Taronga Zoo is expensive! $43! I dont remember it being that bad last time I went. (edit: Although if a group of 12 or more were to be organised it goes down to $34)

Apart from that, though, I think youre overestimating. The Melbourne zoos are only $25 full price, and museums like the Melbourne Museum or Sydney Powerhouse are only in the $10 a head range. Food and souvenirs are expensive if you buy them there of course, but there are ways to avoid that.

Plus of course seeing the opera house and the bridge are free :) Unless you want to do a bridge climb.

*sigh*, I guess I did get a little over-excited.

But all the best with whatever you do manage to get done, I'm sure there's plenty to do around Sydney.

Oh, and I'll see you at TAM Oz  8)

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2010, 12:01:01 AM »

Seriously, everything in Melbourne is about 40 bucks, except the museum, which is $8

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2010, 12:25:34 AM »
Seriously, everything in Melbourne is about 40 bucks, except the museum, which is $8

To be honest Im having trouble thinking of touristy things to do apart from "sightseeing"... the only things I can think of is the zoos and museums. The aquarium is about $30 or so from memory, and the zoos are all in the $20 range. Even the penguins at phillip island are only in the $20 range.

What sort of things are $40?
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2010, 12:37:47 AM »

To be honest Im having trouble thinking of touristy things to do apart from "sightseeing"... the only things I can think of is the zoos and museums. The aquarium is about $30 or so from memory, and the zoos are all in the $20 range. Even the penguins at phillip island are only in the $20 range.

What sort of things are $40?

I must be not thinking so good. Too much champagne last night.
Once you factor in moving about town, it'll cost you about that.

Whatever you do, don't drive. Parking is insane in the city.

Eureka tower, pay to go up($17.50), then pay to go out on the ledge($12.50) also you're Not allowed to take photo's! You have to buy theirs!!!

Here's a list of things to do in Sydney http://www.sydney100.com/
Things to do in Melbourne http://www.seemelbournecard.com/

Offline Movius

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2010, 01:42:53 PM »
You can probably get out to Canberra for a day or two while based in Sydney (It's a 3 hour drive,) if you so desire. Come and spend 5 minutes being underwhelmed by the NASA deep space tracking station's visitor centre.

I do recommend spending time somewhere other than Sydney/NSW though. There is a bad joke about how horrible life outside of Australia must be, because of all the tourists that come to Australia, never leave Sydney and then return home remarking how wonderful it is, even though Sydney is clearly the worst city in Australia. This is mostly unfair, however it is significantly different to the rest of the country, (akin to comparing New York with the rest of the USA.)

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2010, 05:58:26 PM »
You can probably get out to Canberra for a day or two while based in Sydney (It's a 3 hour drive,) if you so desire. Come and spend 5 minutes being underwhelmed by the NASA deep space tracking station's visitor centre.

I do recommend spending time somewhere other than Sydney/NSW though. There is a bad joke about how horrible life outside of Australia must be, because of all the tourists that come to Australia, never leave Sydney and then return home remarking how wonderful it is, even though Sydney is clearly the worst city in Australia. This is mostly unfair, however it is significantly different to the rest of the country, (akin to comparing New York with the rest of the USA.)

Hey the visitor centre has a scale model of the fluid dynamics on Jupiter.
It's a big perspex ball, fillew with what looks like green shampoo, you spin the ball and "cloud" structures appear :)

I grew up in Canberra. Don't go there in winter. There are no people anywhere in winter. Though scienceworks/questacon is cool.

You could then visit my mum and explain to her that it's not nice to keep sending me anti-evolution books and religious propaganda to give to my daughter.

I'm sure she'd entertain you, though you'd come out of there smelling like cigarettes and she only drinks instant coffee.

Offline Zytheran

• Frequent Poster
    • The old Skeptics SA website
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2010, 07:45:07 AM »

I'd second that, get out of Sydney. It's pretty much the same as any huge ugly city on this planet except it possibly tries harder to be trendy. If you have come this far, see something you are not going to see at home. Get out of the cities to the rural areas to see the real Australia. Try and stay out of the cities and stay at rural bed and breakfast places run by farmers and locals.

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2010, 07:13:06 PM »

I'd second that, get out of Sydney. It's pretty much the same as any huge ugly city on this planet except it possibly tries harder to be trendy. If you have come this far, see something you are not going to see at home. Get out of the cities to the rural areas to see the real Australia. Try and stay out of the cities and stay at rural bed and breakfast places run by farmers and locals.

Here here!

Actually go check out the 3 sisters, not too far and it's fricking beautiful!

http://www.bluemts.com.au/tourist/thingsToDo/threeSisters.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Sisters_%28Australia%29

Offline Paperclip.

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2010, 09:06:09 PM »
Shame not to get to see the reef though, isn't that all we've got?  And kangaroos.

They really need more money so they can fly places, everything's so bloody spread out.  Lousy continent.  I live in the north and my family is in Newcastle, it's like a 1hr 30 min flight from Sydney to Brisbane and a bit over 2hrs  to get to Townsville.  Cairns would be a bit further and because everyone actually wants to go there it costs more to fly, but its easier to get the the reef...I think. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 09:15:58 PM by Paperclip. »
"...apparently the rest of you do not, or you are not yet sufficiently well educated to realize that authority, the authority of a reputation or the authority of a printed page, means very little. All of you should hope to someday develop as much insight and persistence as Mr. Alford."

Hardy Cross

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2010, 09:08:32 PM »
Shame not to get to see the reef though, isn't that all we've got?  And kangaroos.

They really need more money so they can fly places, everything's so bloody spread out.  Lousy continent.

On my last day in Port Douglas I found out about helmet diving tours!
Damn it, that would've been sweet! We only went to the low isles. Was nice, but not the real reef.