Author Topic: SGU Australia trip  (Read 14079 times)

Offline Paperclip.

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: SGU Australia trip
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2010, 09:20:54 PM »
Maybe we should have the next TAM Australia in Brisbane, I'd say it's more central, and closer to me. 
"...apparently the rest of you do not, or you are not yet sufficiently well educated to realize that authority, the authority of a reputation or the authority of a printed page, means very little. All of you should hope to someday develop as much insight and persistence as Mr. Alford."

Hardy Cross

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2010, 09:28:53 PM »
Maybe we should have the next TAM Australia in Brisbane, I'd say it's more central, and closer to me.

I'd be more in favour of that if I wasn't living in Melbourne.

Offline Paperclip.

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2010, 09:37:22 PM »
Blast, I'd suggest a vote.  Then I remembered that everyone lives down south with you.  :(
"...apparently the rest of you do not, or you are not yet sufficiently well educated to realize that authority, the authority of a reputation or the authority of a printed page, means very little. All of you should hope to someday develop as much insight and persistence as Mr. Alford."

Hardy Cross

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2010, 09:49:53 PM »
Blast, I'd suggest a vote.  Then I remembered that everyone lives down south with you.  :(

Bah it's too cold here. I want to go north.

Offline Paperclip.

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2010, 08:21:02 AM »

What is this 'cold' you speak of?  Well I don't trust of it, sounds like you southerners trying to put one over on us with your big city lingo... Cold, bah, next it will be distinguishable seasons or some other trickery.

Maybe next time they could do two shows, instead of just a bigger venue at Sydney.  Sydney and Brisbane perhaps?  It sounds like they sold out the show pretty quickly, I wonder where everyone is traveling from.

Nice blog btw.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 08:29:22 AM by Paperclip. »

Hardy Cross

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2010, 06:55:21 PM »

What is this 'cold' you speak of?  Well I don't trust of it, sounds like you southerners trying to put one over on us with your big city lingo... Cold, bah, next it will be distinguishable seasons or some other trickery.

Maybe next time they could do two shows, instead of just a bigger venue at Sydney.  Sydney and Brisbane perhaps?  It sounds like they sold out the show pretty quickly, I wonder where everyone is traveling from.

Nice blog btw.

Aww thanks Paperclip. It's a terrible addiction :D

The "cold" is a condition where you have to wear stubbies that reach all the way to your ankles. This point they become known as "pants", like what you might wear to a job interview.

I want to move to Brisbane for two things, Mild winters and Tym Guitars.
Are houses more affordable up there?

Offline ben_german

• Well Established
  • Inspector Rex
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2010, 04:44:17 AM »
I am not from Australia but reading through you comments i think the "3 Sisters" sounds good to see some pretty Australian Nature/Landscapes...Doesn't seem too far away from Sydney.
D'oh!

Holy shit, I totally killed the doctor. :argh:

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Occasional Forum Necromancer
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2010, 07:24:00 AM »
Amazing Fact: The male platypus has venom strong enough to can kill a small dog, or cause excruciating pain among humans.

http://www.australianfauna.com/platypus.php

Just letting you know.
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2010, 07:56:48 AM »
The only place I ever heard of a platypus attack was on South Park.

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2010, 10:49:25 AM »

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/mammals/platypus-poison.htm/printable

Saw pictures of a man's arm after being spurred. It was gross.
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Offline Zytheran

• Frequent Poster
    • The old Skeptics SA website
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2010, 12:29:58 PM »
Platypus, meh..
Drop Bears!

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2010, 05:45:52 PM »

Was it a captive critter?
You'd be hard pressed to find 'em out there at the best of times.

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2010, 05:51:38 PM »

Was it a captive critter?
You'd be hard pressed to find 'em out there at the best of times.

From what I recollect of the story, he was out fishing and saw one and decided to pick it up. I think he was from the USA, because someone tried to warn him  too late. The pictures showed his arm that was black and swollen from his wrist to above his elbow. He said the pain was excruciating and he passed out several times before they could get him to a doctor. I read a paper not too long ago about scientist using the platypus venom in pain treatment. Apparently it hurts so bad that if they can overcome it, everything else is easy.

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/health/platypus-venom-may-help-scientists-design-new-pain-killers-in-future_100171967.html

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2010, 06:57:21 PM »
Well, there's a lesson to the international visitors.
Don't touch the fauna.
If they ain't poisonous, they're mean.