Poll

Should the ability to change your display name continue to be enabled?

Yes
19 (36.5%)
No
31 (59.6%)
Wut?
2 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Voting closed: September 17, 2010, 04:55:07 AM

Author Topic: Vote on changing display name here  (Read 18000 times)

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
Re: Vote on changing display name here
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 02:49:53 PM »
Just so it's not people who care enough to voice their opinion in the thread, I'll say that I voted Yes because I don't see that it's such a problem. Only the trollish users have been changing their user names a lot, and you can usually figure them out.

I've only changed my user name once and there was a huge uproar for some reason. :P

Yes You Started The Madness!  ;)
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 02:52:14 PM »
Just so it's not people who care enough to voice their opinion in the thread, I'll say that I voted Yes because I don't see that it's such a problem. Only the trollish users have been changing their user names a lot, and you can usually figure them out.

I've only changed my user name once and there was a huge uproar for some reason. :P

Yes You Started The Madness!  ;)

::) riiiiiiiight, let's blame the cute animal.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline DK

• Dave, my mind is going.
  • Too Much Spare Time
    • My Blog: Self-Indulgent Navel Gazing
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 03:40:15 PM »
I'm going to vote No, pretty much for the reasons already stated (gets too confusing about who's posting). Though, a grace period would be nice, as I might change mine.

My username is getting a bit too well known and I think a bit of anonymity might be in order.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 03:48:28 PM »
Belg, you should be able to change your vote yourself.  I enabled that option when I made the poll.

Changed.  Thanks.
#non-belief denialist

Offline KarenX

• Too Much Spare Time
  • A Simple Girl with an Evil Plan
    • More Women in Skepticism
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 08:51:32 PM »
I voted Yes.

I belong to three forums and they all allow for display name changing. Yes, it's funny to change your names sometimes; yes, sometimes it turns into private jokes; yes, it is annoying when you can't figure out whose posts you're reading. But is it really a horrible problem that breaks the sense of community to the point where it's approaching the likes of 4chan? It's not like you can't look up a post history and figure it out.

Avatar changing is just as confusing, and I can't believe that we'd make avatars static. Also, it's not an exclusive private joke if anyone can play along. That private jokes happen makes it feel more like a community, in my opinion. But I am just one of the chitterchattering chaff, and not one of the worthier adversaries among the board's skeptical wheat. It doesn't matter to me if I can't always keep track of stuff. Including metaphors.

Offline Bunsen

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Big Pharma wants you to think cooked milk is safe!
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 12:57:37 AM »
I'm voting "Y'all take this shit too seriously. You do realize it's the internet, right."

In my experience, with a couple of minor possible exceptions (i.e. LF trolling the new kid with his new identity) nobody uses the feature for sockpuppetry, and very few people change their names for any duration, or to any extent that makes it difficult to figure out who they are.

It's a nice way to personalize your profile for a bit, seeing as signatures are gay.

Plus, it was fun the one time that FX and I started stealing everybody's avatars and grossly misspelling their names for an afternoon about six months back.

If you can't have fun and express yourself on a forum, why show up at all?  That's my 2 cents.

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 01:08:30 AM »
I'm voting "Y'all take this shit too seriously. You do realize it's the internet, right."

It's always creepy when I agree with you.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline I am Nintendo

• Evil Spawn #1
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Worshiper of Arceus
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 01:13:31 AM »
I'm voting "No."

It usually takes me about two weeks to figure out that someone has changed their name.

Also, PEOPLE DO IT IN THE MIDDLE OF MAFIA GAMES!!!

Is it just me, or does that make you want to lynch someone too?
One man's psychopath is another man's prophet.

Offline Bunsen

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 01:15:13 AM »
Also, PEOPLE DO IT IN THE MIDDLE OF MAFIA GAMES!!!

Oh, no, not the sacred Mafia! That's the only thing on this entire forum!  ::)

People care way too much about the Forum Games section here.  And that's coming from a guy who makes a majority of his posts there.

Offline Joe B

• Quasi-Jock
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Now with Preposterone
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 01:22:15 AM »
Voted Yes, but I'm mostly apathetic. It doesn't bother me, but I would have zero outrage/dissatisfaction/disappointment if the grace period/mod requests was board policy.
You underestimate the amount of people who are literally Hitler.
-Colts Homer

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 01:43:41 AM »
I voted Yes.

I belong to three forums and they all allow for display name changing. Yes, it's funny to change your names sometimes; yes, sometimes it turns into private jokes; yes, it is annoying when you can't figure out whose posts you're reading. But is it really a horrible problem that breaks the sense of community to the point where it's approaching the likes of 4chan? It's not like you can't look up a post history and figure it out.

Avatar changing is just as confusing, and I can't believe that we'd make avatars static. Also, it's not an exclusive private joke if anyone can play along. That private jokes happen makes it feel more like a community, in my opinion. But I am just one of the chitterchattering chaff, and not one of the worthier adversaries among the board's skeptical wheat. It doesn't matter to me if I can't always keep track of stuff. Including metaphors.

This ^, and Bunsen's, made me change my vote. What can I say, I guess I'm fickle. If I spontaneously come up with a creative name (which is rare), I don't want to have to contact a mod or admin every time I do.

If it really is that big of a problem, we could make a thread called, Username Changed, where a member posts their old name and new name (Bossel to Boßel). IF it's a big deal to people.

Offline cerveauxfrits

• Reef Tank Owner
  • chickened out
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 01:50:57 AM »
What about satisfying people's desire to have some modicum of opportunity for non-signature non-avatar personalization while also maintaining consistency by just swapping where the 'forum title' and 'personal text' appear?  Maybe boost the font size for the personal text section, too.

Seems that should be a fairly decent substitute for what folks like SQ and Bunsen are going for with their username changes, while also preventing the confusion generated by the way others do it.

Offline cerveauxfrits

• Reef Tank Owner
  • chickened out
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 02:06:12 AM »
And I'd like to defend my 4chan comment.  It's perfectly apt as long as you're willing to recognize it for the hyperbole it is - of course 4chan is an extreme case, but one key ingredient in communities that allows serious discussions to happen is people being able to keep track of each other. 4chan shows the extreme case of what happens when there's an extreme lack of that. 

So while I recognize that there are cases where being able to change one's name is important and valuable, I still question whether the more frivolous uses of that ability really justify the added difficulty in having a serious conversation that's introduced when one's stuck having to keep track of all the different names a person might appear as when you're reading back through the thread history and whatnot.  And in a place like 4chan where threads are deleted within 20 minutes anyway so the point is moot. . . but here it isn't terribly uncommon for discussions to reference things that happened 2 months ago or whenever, and while I realize that this is happening on the Internet, I don't agree with the implied proposition that things magically become frivolous and unworthy of serious treatment simply because they happen on the Internet.  So with that, I do feel that there is value in configuring the social software in a manner that's more conducive to edifying social interaction.  Certainly it's not a crisis if that doesn't happen, but the reasons for seeing value in such a limitation go beyond fuddy-duddies just wanting to rain on everyone's picnic.

I also don't agree with the avatar analogy.  It's not like we can't figure out who says what in a quote because there isn't a picture next to the quote box, or that we need to use img tags to mention someone.  Avatars, user titles, signatures, whatever. . . these are all more like the electronic equivalent of what color T-shirt you're wearing.  Whereas the screen name is the actual indication of a person's identity.

Offline Bunsen

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 02:11:37 AM »
Avatars, user titles, signatures, whatever. . . these are all more like the electronic equivalent of what color T-shirt you're wearing.  Whereas the screen name is the actual indication of a person's identity.

You had me until you said that.  In my experience, many veteran forum users in forums with permanent/semi-permanent avatars associate posts with avatars first, and then associate the avatars with the name.

For instance, when Boßel posts something, I think of him as the guy I know with the Death Cab for Cutie avatar, and remember his name perhaps 20% of the time.  My girlfriend has actually referred to Boßel as "Transatlanticism" when we were talking about various posts.

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 02:30:58 AM »
In my experience, many veteran forum users in forums with permanent/semi-permanent avatars associate posts with avatars first, and then associate the avatars with the name.

I think thats a personal preference thing, like the way some people are great at remembering faces while others remember names better.

For myself, when you said Boßel I knew who you meant, and yet I had to go back to see what avatar you were talking about because I couldnt remember it even from the description.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

personate-rain