Poll

Should the ability to change your display name continue to be enabled?

Yes
19 (36.5%)
No
31 (59.6%)
Wut?
2 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Voting closed: September 17, 2010, 04:55:07 AM

Author Topic: Vote on changing display name here  (Read 18323 times)

Offline cerveauxfrits

• Reef Tank Owner
  • chickened out
Re: Vote on changing display name here
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2010, 02:34:46 AM »
Avatars, user titles, signatures, whatever. . . these are all more like the electronic equivalent of what color T-shirt you're wearing.  Whereas the screen name is the actual indication of a person's identity.

You had me until you said that.  In my experience, many veteran forum users in forums with permanent/semi-permanent avatars associate posts with avatars first, and then associate the avatars with the name.

As a mnemonic, sure.  But like I said - do you really have a hard time dealing with quoteboxes because they use the person's name instead of their avatar? 

There's a canonical handle used to identify people. It's defined by the structure of the software, not by short-circuit heuristics in some people's brains.  That handle is not a picture.  It's a string of characters.

Offline Bunsen

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Big Pharma wants you to think cooked milk is safe!
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010, 02:38:07 AM »
do you really have a hard time dealing with quoteboxes because they use the person's name instead of their avatar? 

Wait, we're supposed to actually read what's in those stupid little boxes?  The only thing I care about are the words coming out of my own mouth! :P

Offline Lead Farmer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Do or do not, there is no try.
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2010, 02:01:55 PM »
I really didn't expect to see this much debate over such a stupid topic on this forum. It seems like the main issue with the name changes is with Mafia players who aren't able to keep up with changes in games. Here's a tip. TAKE NOTES.
Is your life that empty, that you're concerned with what my display name is from one moment to the next?
meh, whatever. I'm sure the nays will get enough votes to make it happen. Wrong choices are more typical than right ones in democratic systems of governance.

Offline I am Nintendo

• Evil Spawn #1
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Worshiper of Arceus
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2010, 03:51:54 PM »
Wrong choices are more typical than right ones in democratic systems of governance.

Yes, when money or rights are involved.

What are the negative ramifications of making it harder to change your identity unneccessarily?
One man's psychopath is another man's prophet.

Offline Lead Farmer

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2010, 03:56:52 PM »
Wrong choices are more typical than right ones in democratic systems of governance.

Yes, when money or rights are involved.

What are the negative ramifications of making it harder to change your identity unneccessarily?
What's your definition of a "necessary" change? No change is necessary, ever. It's all about free will vs. control.
Just like the smoking ban topic and several others I've seen here, it's comes down to people wanting to have control over people who do things they don't like.

Offline Dionysus

• Prideful and Indolent
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • God's Son
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2010, 04:05:57 PM »
It seems the ones taking this seriously are the ones complaining about it the most. Who cares if you can't change your name anymore? Furthermore, why is Beleth putting this up for a vote? You're the admin, block name-changing if you want.

I voted "No" anyway, mainly because Bunsen's tears nourish me.
Behold, God's Son is come unto this land, Of heaven's hot splendour lit to life, when she Of Thebes, even I, Dionysus, whom the brand Who bore me, Cadmus' daughter Semele, Died here. So, changed in shape from God to man... to show me in men's sight - Manifest God.

Offline MountainManPan

• Banned
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2010, 04:07:43 PM »
I say no. 

Maybe add a 'user title' that one can change on his own whim whenver he so pleases.

Offline cerveauxfrits

• Reef Tank Owner
  • chickened out
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2010, 04:08:28 PM »
Furthermore, why is Beleth putting this up for a vote? You're the admin, block name-changing if you want.

Considering that the results aren't publicly visible, I suspect it's more of an opinion poll than a referendum, and the most that non-Beleth contributors to the thread could possibly produce is something about on the level of a U.N. non-binding resolution.

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2010, 04:13:39 PM »
Furthermore, why is Beleth putting this up for a vote? You're the admin, block name-changing if you want.

Considering that the results aren't publicly visible, I suspect it's more of an opinion poll than a referendum

The results will be visible when the poll ends on the 17th.  I've found that hiding ongoing poll tallies results in a more accurate outcome.

I'm putting it up for a vote because, frankly, I'm torn on the issue, and I want to make the decision that's going to disgruntle the fewest number of people.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2010, 04:17:32 PM »
First you take our whoring now you take our liberty to change names.
Commie!

{/rant}
if I were mod i'd have kept the whoring and locked the name change.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline Lead Farmer

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2010, 04:25:19 PM »
I'm guessing that it's at around 80% nays at this point.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2010, 11:15:40 PM »
As long as we are allowed to change our avatars, signatures, titles, I don't see why locking one thing is a stifling of anything.  Maybe once every six months we unlock it for a day and let people change their name if they want to.

Offline Black_Magic

• Forum Troll
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Woody dies in "Toy Story 3" :o
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2010, 12:58:55 AM »
I voted a hard No.

And while we're at it... we should ban the gays and the black people.   Or at least enact a strong don't ask don't tell policy.
Big Brother* is watching you!

*beleth

Offline Dr.PastaMaker

• My Pasta is Greattt!
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • Ph.D Pastamaking, Class of Spaghetti Omega
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2010, 04:36:55 AM »
I demand a 'I want burritos' option
Science is amazing. Science is so amazing that if you were to try and disprove Science, you would have to use Science to do it.

Offline KarenX

• Too Much Spare Time
  • A Simple Girl with an Evil Plan
    • More Women in Skepticism
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2010, 11:30:05 AM »
I thought burritos were mandatory.