Author Topic: The Man Who Lied to His Laptop  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Anders

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
The Man Who Lied to His Laptop
« on: September 15, 2010, 01:00:31 PM »
New Book.

Have you ever lied to your laptop? I don't have that kind of relationship with it. I've cursed it a number of times, though.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Offline crazyivan

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • Myachi
Re: The Man Who Lied to His Laptop
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 05:52:15 PM »
Once in a while I'll say "Just one more post" to it when I know I'm full of sh*t.  There are other lies I tell it, but they only belong on the explicit forum.
Hey look, it's an unrelated backlink! www.blognoscor.blogspot.com

Offline Dirty J. Martini

• Well Established
  • I'm Pro-Accordian and I Vote!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 01:54:09 AM »
That's funny about the GPSes. When I don't follow the directions on mine, it says in a most indignant tone, "Recalculating" as if I've let it down, yet again.

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 04:39:32 PM »
I just heard the interview with the author on "Science Friday," and decided I had to get that book. It's next on my Kindle.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline Grimner

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 06:58:57 AM »
Pretty good read for a string of experiments. Actual experiments in the soscial sciences!

Might actually be usefull.

Also a few good tips on which pick-up lines not to use, ever.
Quaere verum

Offline ♫♪ FX ♪♫

• Earnest Young Man
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Plutonium is your friend!
    • Is it working?
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 07:49:45 AM »
Excellent
It is difficult to believe that a man is telling the truth when you know that you would lie if you were in his place. - H.L. Mencken

“That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons history has to teach.” - Aldous Huxley

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 07:57:09 AM »
When I don't follow the directions on mine, it says in a most indignant tone, "Recalculating" as if I've let it down, yet again.

Our Garmin is set to the British Female voice. That makes "Recalculating" sound even more condescending.

BTW, one time I was traveling with some friends and our route took us through an obviously oriental part of NYC. Without anyone noticing, I changed the language to Chinese.

Quite the hoot!

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 04:58:53 PM »
A couple weeks ago, I downloaded the sample from this book to my Kindle, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Sounds good.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline Green Ideas

• Reef Tank Owner
  • ZZZ!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 05:08:15 PM »
Have you ever lied to your laptop? I don't have that kind of relationship with it. I've cursed it a number of times, though.

I remember some 25 years ago seeing an ad promoting a styrofoam hammer so one could bash one's home computer without damaging it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 05:10:19 PM by Green Ideas »