Author Topic: Kinetic Typography  (Read 1437 times)

Offline mattrogers

• Off to a Start
    • The Observer
Kinetic Typography
« on: October 03, 2010, 03:08:17 AM »
Hey I recently made a Kinetic Typography video using words and audio by Stephen Fry and if you would like to have a look you can see it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY.

However I am thinking about making a another using the words of Carl Sagan. And I thought this would be the best place to ask about what short speech of his I should use.

I was thinking about using the pale blue dot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupToqz1e2g.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 07:01:57 AM by mattrogers »
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits." - Albert Einstein

Offline Dirty J. Martini

• Well Established
  • I'm Pro-Accordian and I Vote!
Re: Kinetic Typography
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 11:06:25 AM »
Really nice! What tool did you use to make it?

Offline Crowskie

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Raccoongaroo is soooooooo HAPPY!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 10:08:48 PM »
This may just be youtube, but your timing is a bit off. Idealy, the word should hit about halfway through the first letter of the word. So, for the word 'ball', it would hit after the 'b-', but before the 'uhahl'. Proper timing is really hard, but is by far the most important aspect of motion work.

Here is one of the first motion pieces I did.

Offline mattrogers

• Off to a Start
    • The Observer
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 11:46:09 AM »
Really nice! What tool did you use to make it?

I used Illustrator CS5 and After Effects CS4. i did all the arranging of the text into the letters in Illustrator and then loaded that into After Effects to Animate.

This may just be youtube, but your timing is a bit off. Idealy, the word should hit about halfway through the first letter of the word. So, for the word 'ball', it would hit after the 'b-', but before the 'uhahl'. Proper timing is really hard, but is by far the most important aspect of motion work.

It was my first attempt at kinetic typography so there are a lot of mistake (even some parts where the words dont match the audio). But thanks for the tip ill do that for sure in my next one and I like your video!
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits." - Albert Einstein

Offline mattrogers

• Off to a Start
    • The Observer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 11:31:22 AM »
Hey guys I just thought that I would tell you that stephen fry himself just tweeted a link to my video! the fact that he saw it and liked it is cool enough but he also has 1.8 million followers so its fair to say the video is getting a lot of hits and retweets hahahah

http://twitter.com/#!/stephenfry

Offline Crowskie

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Raccoongaroo is soooooooo HAPPY!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 11:33:40 AM »
I'd say that is pretty epic.

Offline Dirty J. Martini

• Well Established
  • I'm Pro-Accordian and I Vote!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 10:51:15 PM »
Hey guys I just thought that I would tell you that stephen fry himself just tweeted a link to my video! the fact that he saw it and liked it is cool enough but he also has 1.8 million followers so its fair to say the video is getting a lot of hits and retweets hahahah

http://twitter.com/#!/stephenfry

That is awesome! (I have a friend who's working with Hugh Laurey on a documentary. Small world!)

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 02:59:18 AM »
Just watched this, Matt. I loved it. I also shared it on my Facebook. ^_^ I'd love to see what you could do with Carl Sagan.
I am become destroyer of biology.

personate-rain