4 (10.5%)
Yes, but no time behind bars.
3 (7.9%)
Yes, and I've done time.
2 (5.3%)
Just traffic tickets.
10 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: The Twitter Thread--A Thread of Great Consequence  (Read 251069 times)

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
Re: The Twitter Thread--A Thread of Great Consequence
« Reply #7455 on: January 08, 2017, 03:07:23 PM »
Ya so.... about to apply to JPL.  Send your happy skeptical energies my way, if you could.  :vomit:

Wow!!!! Good luck!

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #7456 on: January 08, 2017, 09:46:59 PM »
Ya so.... about to apply to JPL.  Send your happy skeptical energies my way, if you could.  :vomit:

Good luck! My cousin works there.

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #7457 on: January 11, 2017, 02:35:01 PM »
Giving Whiskey Stones to an ice chewer, was not a very thoughtful x-mas gift.
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #7458 on: January 12, 2017, 02:06:17 PM »
There appears to be an epidemic of gluten sensitivity in my office. 

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #7459 on: January 12, 2017, 05:49:14 PM »
What's the word or term for when you find a task or process easy to perform or follow, so you assume it is easy for everyone else too?

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #7460 on: January 13, 2017, 02:44:22 AM »
What's the word or term for when you find a task or process easy to perform or follow, so you assume it is easy for everyone else too?

humility?

I mean, it's basically 'oh, I didn't realize special talent was necessary for this, I thought I was pretty ordinary in this respect'
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #7461 on: January 13, 2017, 11:11:34 AM »
For casual friday, I have worn my boot camp sweatshirt.  Its 25 years old, for some people fitting into a 25 year old garment would mean they were in fantastic shape for their age, for me it just means I was a fat 19 year old.  Actually just barely got into to the Navy without some kind of waiver and diet/exercise requirements in boot camp.

I occasionally point out that back in high school I was "a fat kid" but by today's standards, I'd probably be near the middle of the bell curve. 

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #7462 on: January 13, 2017, 11:48:44 AM »
For casual friday, I have worn my boot camp sweatshirt.  Its 25 years old, for some people fitting into a 25 year old garment would mean they were in fantastic shape for their age, for me it just means I was a fat 19 year old.  Actually just barely got into to the Navy without some kind of waiver and diet/exercise requirements in boot camp.

kinda makes sense to have a waiver... I mean, surely they know they can get people whose lives they control literally day in day out (not just 9-5) into shape.

why did they want you badly enough to do a waiver thing? like, were you a great candidate, otherwise, for the particular specialty you were applying for or something?

I occasionally point out that back in high school I was "a fat kid" but by today's standards, I'd probably be near the middle of the bell curve. 

apparently the BMI has been 'updated' to account for 'Americans these days'. I think it was on Rogan's weight loss challenge podcast I heard that.
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #7463 on: January 13, 2017, 12:04:36 PM »
I didn't actually need the waiver just almost, but the Navy would waive just about every requirement they had for some folks.  I knew a nearly 40 year old fact cook they let in because they needed cooks.  I was Nuc, they'd let a morbidly obese serial killer with no left foot in if they did well enough on the ASVAB and Nuc test. 

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #7464 on: January 13, 2017, 12:16:45 PM »
I love this.

Not enough to spend $100 on a commemorative though.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #7465 on: January 13, 2017, 12:26:09 PM »
I didn't actually need the waiver just almost, but the Navy would waive just about every requirement they had for some folks.  I knew a nearly 40 year old fact cook they let in because they needed cooks.  I was Nuc, they'd let a morbidly obese serial killer with no left foot in if they did well enough on the ASVAB and Nuc test. 

well that's good. I mean... health is important, but the standards should be balanced with the actual job requirements. there's no need to make Stephen Hawking do 30 push-ups.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #7466 on: January 13, 2017, 12:33:25 PM »

well that's good. I mean... health is important, but the standards should be balanced with the actual job requirements. there's no need to make Stephen Hawking do 30 push-ups.

There was a program at Nuke school we called "fat boys".  They had to keep a log of their exersize and food, and then they had to review their log with other students... I think the idea was to make them feel accountable to their colleagues, but it was actually just kind of embarrassing.  I went over one guy's logs with him a few times and tried to be helpful and encouraging but I felt bad for him.

No fat guys on submarines... nobody's in great shape though either.
Amend and resubmit.

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #7467 on: January 13, 2017, 12:43:24 PM »
My roommate in Nuc school was on mandatory exercise and mandatory study.  Not counting sleep, he had something like 10 hours of free time a week.  He also drank 2 liters of mountain dew a day and use F#@$ the same way most people use "um".  The other roommate timed him once, he used a version of F@#$ 60 times in 2 minutes. 

Also knew a guy in nuke school who spent more time figuring out how he could game the system of 10 minutes by planning his breaks and when he signed in to study than actually studying. 

Also knew a guy raised on a commune in the dessert and several guys we called "+1", no matter what your story was, they had one better.  One of those guys couldn't go to china town because he'd be "recognized" another, BIF, had been a drug kingpin in Texas.  BIF meant big idiot fuck up.  This probably set me on the road to skepticism. 

The most valuable lesson from the military and the one you really can't get elsewhere is how to live and work with people you hadn't even imagined existed prior to meeting them.  Universities offer a pretense at diversity but the Navy really had it and you had no choice but to spend 24/7 for six months straight with those people. 

But I digress.

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • So it goes.
« Reply #7468 on: January 14, 2017, 12:48:46 AM »
I love this.

Not enough to spend $100 on a commemorative though.

It's 1 troy oz of pure gold, so it'll be around $1200, plus a non-insignificant markup for the manufacturing cost and shipping and because it's a commemorative blah blah blah.
https://www.google.com/search?q=spot+price+of+gold&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

http://www.apmex.com/
http://www.apmex.com/category/10002/gold-and-silver-top-picks?sortby=priceasc&f_metalname=gold&f_productoz=1+oz&page=1&f_bulliontype=coin

eta:
Yes, late last year I decided to diversify further and put ~3% of my assets into shiny rocks.  Prices have gone up a little since then (yay).

eta2.
The face value of $100 (varies coin to coin) is a legal thing so that it counts as a "coin."  Thingies that look like coins but don't have a face value are called "rounds." 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 12:56:49 AM by Hanes »

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #7469 on: January 14, 2017, 05:35:00 AM »
No fat guys on submarines... nobody's in great shape though either.

I'd expect that of most desk-job type situations (confined spaces).

personate-rain
personate-rain