Poll

Do you check and clean the dryer lint filter before or after starting a load of clothes?

Before
15 (53.6%)
After
2 (7.1%)
Both; can't be too careful or too tidy
7 (25%)
Do what now?
4 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: The Twitter Thread--A Thread of Great Consequence  (Read 377639 times)

Offline Gigabyte

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • If you believe, they put a man on the moon
Re: The Twitter Thread--A Thread of Great Consequence
« Reply #7995 on: August 07, 2019, 11:45:52 AM »
If you are a consumer in the modern world of electricity from fossil fuels, gasoline, or fancies and non organic meats, fruits and vegetables then you are indirectly part of the cause of the death and potential extinction of numerous insect species.
I understood what you are claiming.  You just restated what you said, that "we" are causing extinction of most of the worlds species..  And I said I am not.  You provided no evidence for any of what you claimed.
I don't understand some things, but at least I know I don't know

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #7996 on: August 07, 2019, 08:41:36 PM »
If you are a consumer in the modern world of electricity from fossil fuels, gasoline, or fancies and non organic meats, fruits and vegetables then you are indirectly part of the cause of the death and potential extinction of numerous insect species.

OK, I’ll bite.  List the numerous insect species that are spared from death and potential extinction as a result of the production of organic meat, fruits and vegetables.

My auto correct changed "organic and non organic" to "or fancies and non organic"

So this is how that should have read:

If you are a consumer in the modern world of electricity from fossil fuels, gasoline, organic and non organic meats, fruits and vegetables then you are indirectly part of the cause of the death and potential extinction of numerous insect species.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #7997 on: August 07, 2019, 08:45:30 PM »
I understood what you are claiming.  You just restated what you said, that "we" are causing extinction of most of the worlds species..  And I said I am not.  You provided no evidence for any of what you claimed.

I have no idea what point you are trying to make here.  Are you claiming that modern consumerism is not causing the extinction of a large number of insect species, or that you are not a part of the modern consumerism culture that is doing so?

I will provide evidence for any facts if they are directly disputed.

But if you're claiming you're not part of modern consumerism culture (while you respond to a post on an internet forum) then you will need to provide some rationale and evidence for that specifically.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #7998 on: August 07, 2019, 10:02:06 PM »

OK, I’ll bite.  List the numerous insect species that are spared from death and potential extinction as a result of the production of organic meat, fruits and vegetables.

My auto correct changed "organic and non organic" to "or fancies and non organic"

So this is how that should have read:

If you are a consumer in the modern world of electricity from fossil fuels, gasoline, organic and non organic meats, fruits and vegetables then you are indirectly part of the cause of the death and potential extinction of numerous insect species.

OK, it’s true, but it’s also trivial.  Everything is indirectly part of the cause of the death and potential extinction of numerous insect species, including natural insectivores.  But the only thing that counts is deliberately setting out to cause extinction, or failing to stop practices that can be reasonably expected to cause extinction.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7999 on: August 08, 2019, 01:15:17 AM »
It's trivial and therefore suitable for this thread. Going deeper into the issues, there are other threads for that.

Offline Gigabyte

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #8000 on: August 08, 2019, 11:53:20 AM »
I have no idea what point you are trying to make here.
That makes it like a Twitter exchange!

Online stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #8001 on: August 08, 2019, 01:27:46 PM »
In the long run, we're all dead.

Offline Gigabyte

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #8002 on: August 08, 2019, 04:05:11 PM »
In the short run, who is the fastest actually matters

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #8003 on: August 08, 2019, 04:35:30 PM »
OK, it’s true, but it’s also trivial.  Everything is indirectly part of the cause of the death and potential extinction of numerous insect species, including natural insectivores.  But the only thing that counts is deliberately setting out to cause extinction, or failing to stop practices that can be reasonably expected to cause extinction.

No one is setting out to deliberately cause extinction, but they are doing it, directly and indirectly.

No one is setting out to deliberately cause global warming, but they are doing it, directly and indirectly.

And maybe the contributions to extinction and global warming by one individual is trivial, multiplied by a few billion it becomes substantial.

"We have met the enemy and 'They' is us" --PoGo

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #8004 on: August 09, 2019, 09:49:27 PM »
I don't understand this "dad" joke, so I must be stupid.

Can someone please explain it to me?

https://twitter.com/NewDadNotes/status/1159867786040135681

Offline Gigabyte

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #8005 on: August 14, 2019, 03:31:34 PM »
This might help