Poll

Do you check and clean the dryer lint filter before or after starting a load of clothes?

Before
17 (54.8%)
After
3 (9.7%)
Both; can't be too careful or too tidy
7 (22.6%)
Do what now?
4 (12.9%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: The Twitter Thread--A Thread of Great Consequence  (Read 409652 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
    • View Profile
Re: The Twitter Thread--A Thread of Great Consequence
« Reply #8040 on: January 27, 2020, 09:40:15 AM »
I'm fascinated by phishing scams.  I just got an email in not great english to the effect of:

Hello friend, I live next door and you want believe what I saw, a fat guy having sex with a blond through the open window! Click the link to watch.

I cleaned it up a bit and rewrote it to make a little more sense.  Seriously, who's clicking on those links?
Fat guys wishing they were having sex with blonds?
Its funny, and probably says something about my physique or self image that my first thought is that it was going to be one of those, "We hacked your computer and pictures of you doing some really nasty stuff so pay up or we'll send it to your contact list." sort of scams. 

Offline Ah.hell

• View Profile
« Reply #8041 on: January 30, 2020, 03:03:28 PM »
Some of you may know, I'm an engineer.  On a recent project a builder placed a concrete structure on grade when it was meant to be installed 1'-6" below grade.  As a result, the will have to remove the concrete and rebuild the structure at great expense to themselves.   The construction manager, who works for the same company I do and not the builder said, "Well, at least they can re-use the reinforcing steel!"

Now, most of you aren't experts in this sort of thing, however, I'm sure you can see the flaw in the notion that you can remove the concrete surrounding the reinforcing steel bars while leaving those bars in a condition in which than can actually be reused. But this came from an expert in construction?

Offline Ah.hell

• View Profile
« Reply #8042 on: January 30, 2020, 03:04:38 PM »
Chinese New Year at a Chinese restaurant with a Chinese friend.
新年快乐
I ate at a Vietnamese restaurant and they off course called it, Vietnamese New Year.  Can't we all just start calling it East Asian New Years?

Offline CarbShark

• "I ain't no doctor with degrees" - Think
    • View Profile
« Reply #8043 on: January 30, 2020, 03:09:55 PM »
Some of you may know, I'm an engineer.  On a recent project a builder placed a concrete structure on grade when it was meant to be installed 1'-6" below grade.  As a result, the will have to remove the concrete and rebuild the structure at great expense to themselves.   The construction manager, who works for the same company I do and not the builder said, "Well, at least they can re-use the reinforcing steel!"

Now, most of you aren't experts in this sort of thing, however, I'm sure you can see the flaw in the notion that you can remove the concrete surrounding the reinforcing steel bars while leaving those bars in a condition in which than can actually be reused. But this came from an expert in construction?

I don't know. I've seen guys with pneumatic chisels carve around rebar like a sculptor.

Plus, if the concrete isn't fully cured, it will crumble fairly easily once they get going.

Whatever twist ties or brackets they used to connect the rebar will probably be lost, but the rebar itself could be salvageable. And it will all be cut to the correct lengths.
... and Donald Trump is president of the United States

Offline Ah.hell

• View Profile
« Reply #8044 on: January 30, 2020, 03:48:08 PM »
You have more faith than I do. 

Offline CarbShark

• View Profile
« Reply #8045 on: January 30, 2020, 04:09:46 PM »

Let us know how it works out

Offline Ah.hell

• View Profile
« Reply #8046 on: January 30, 2020, 05:37:31 PM »

Let us know how it works out
I was misinformed, they haven't placed concrete.  Makes everything make much more sense. 

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8047 on: February 10, 2020, 03:12:13 PM »
I survived.

Offline Ah.hell

• View Profile
« Reply #8048 on: February 13, 2020, 12:15:01 PM »
Related to my previous post, a contract document references a building code that hasn't been published for 23 years. 

Offline Ah.hell

• View Profile
« Reply #8049 on: February 18, 2020, 11:18:56 AM »
Different project and contractor:

"So that thing you told us to do in the contract and clearly show on the drawings, that is related to safety and is pretty clear for general construction practice and law, well, I wasn't planning on doing that, so we should talk."

Offline Ah.hell

• View Profile
« Reply #8050 on: February 21, 2020, 12:28:55 PM »
Just walked into the bathroom where I interrupted a conversation being held between a guy sitting in the stall and a guy standing outside of the stall.  That is not ok!

The only acceptable reason, the guy taking a shit was the only person who knew what wire would cause the bomb to explode and which one would stop the timer.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #8051 on: February 23, 2020, 05:57:21 PM »
Just walked into the bathroom where I interrupted a conversation being held between a guy sitting in the stall and a guy standing outside of the stall.  That is not ok!

The only acceptable reason, the guy taking a shit was the only person who knew what wire would cause the bomb to explode and which one would stop the timer.

"This is a men's room. There is absolutely no talking in here. Ever."

- Dr Cox
Self-described nerd.

Offline CarbShark

• View Profile
« Reply #8052 on: February 23, 2020, 06:45:46 PM »

It's a relationship between consenting adults, get over it.

Offline Ah.hell

• View Profile
« Reply #8053 on: February 24, 2020, 09:20:27 AM »
It's a relationship between consenting adults, get over it.
Do what ever you want in your own home. 

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8054 on: February 24, 2020, 11:53:30 AM »
Guy in my office today was on a business call wearing his airpods while peeing in the urinal. Like I heard both his stream, and him talking at the same time.

Other weird only very mildly interesting office story: I'm in the elevator bank (8 elevators) waiting for a down elevator. Down elevator button is lit up. Woman comes out of reception, marches forcefully and intentionally to the elevator button (which again is already lit) and hits it rapidly 3 or 4 times. Steps aside. Elevator arrives, I get on, she doesn't follow. Elevator closes. Scene.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext