Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 111911 times)

Offline jaypee

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Astronaut Mike Dexter
The Cycling Thread
« on: October 04, 2010, 10:17:58 AM »
A thread for cyclists to share, brag, boast, and taunt.

Post pics of your bikes, the bikes you dream of owning, and maps of the routes you've taken.

Two weekends ago I did the Rodman Ride for Kids on a rented Specialized Roubaix Expert, which was the greatest bike I've ever ridden.

"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
Re: The Cycling Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:51:56 AM »
Pedestrians 5 points
Cyclists 10 points
Wheelchair bound seniors 20 points
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline adr150

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Ranch?
    • Me On YouTube
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 11:24:46 AM »
nothing like a beautiful day on the potomac to go for a ride

here's my horse

Expelled

"A Minnesota Supreme Court ruling 38 years ago found that people who have sex in closed stalls in public restrooms 'have a reasonable expectation of privacy.'"

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 12:13:42 PM »
Nice, are those MTB pedals?
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline DK

• Dave, my mind is going.
  • Too Much Spare Time
    • My Blog: Self-Indulgent Navel Gazing
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 02:11:05 PM »
Unlike all you sporty types, I go for comfort when I'm riding, hence my practical town bike. Here's a pic with my son having a snooze in his chariot.

Offline khendar

• Well Established
    • TimParkinson.net
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 12:45:10 AM »
Keep meaning to get back on the bike. Had a string of injuries and illness which has kept me out of the saddle for over a year. I ride an Apollo Ascent MTB

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/xUHojneiyoi3h53v7rsUeA?feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8ixW0W3v-ypQjHH5ZK5Emg?feat=directlink

I removed the deathtrap cages on the pedals shortly after this photo was taken.

Offline khendar

• Well Established
    • TimParkinson.net
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 12:53:12 AM »
Nice, are those MTB pedals?

They look like road bike clipless pedals...single sided.

Offline Green Ideas

• Reef Tank Owner
  • ZZZ!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 03:21:00 AM »
One of the best and most elegant bikes ever built IMHO. I had a black one that ended up stolen.  :'(
Mine (as well as the one in the photo) was from the seventies, but I still think it was more comfortable and reliable than many state-of-the-art bicycles I've tried since. In Brazil it's known as "Peugeot Turismo", don't know its name in other countries.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 03:25:49 AM by Green Ideas »

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 03:30:47 AM »
In Brazil it's known as "Peugeot Turismo", don't know its name in other countries.

We have those here in the States, too.

I have a Specialized Epic. <3

The handlebars aren't as tweaked up as they are in this photo. I still need to get new pedals for it. I absolutely love this bike.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline Green Ideas

• Reef Tank Owner
  • ZZZ!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 04:09:10 AM »
I also had one similar to this Swedish Monark from the 1940's (yes, I love antiques).

Mine was Brazilian made and had a different braking system. It was in very bad shape when I bought it, and eventually it started falling apart. But the 28 inch wheels made a hell of a difference, I loved it. Now, at least in Brazil (and for a few decades already), the wheels in the new bikes are at most 26 inches wide. Is that also true elsewhere?

Offline kb

• Well Established
  • Omne ignotum pro magnifico est
    • This is not a blog
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 05:46:36 AM »
My MTB built mainly from old parts. Cheapish heavy aluminum frame with an old Marzocchi MX Comp ETA fork and heavy hand built Mavic wheels. Sram X7 shifters and rear derailleur, Shimano XT cranks and cassette, LX front derailleur, Avid Juicy Five disc brakes, Thomson seatpost.

And the favorite trails just outside of Stockholm.

Cam Test @ Fornstigen
"And I'm also one of these people. I don't really care about being right you know I just care about success." - Steve Jobs, Triumph of the Nerds

Offline Obvious Reasons

• Off to a Start
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 06:14:51 AM »
Fun story; Cycling was a key element in me finding out about the Skeptics Guide to the Universe. I decided to take up cycling last summer again and looked for podcasts to listen to. And sure enough, someone recommended the SGU.

I did about 30 - 40 km, basically every day. Mostly on gravel forest roads with no civilization around. It was awesome.
In Vatican City, there are about 2.27 Popes/km2 *

* Some time in 2013, the papal density of the Vatican City doubled, resulting in a value of about 4.55 Popes/km2

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 09:22:34 AM »
That sounds like fun. There are a few wooded trails in and around Boston, but unfortunately you wind up having to cross a lot of busy roads to get from one part of the trail to another.

Offline leonet

• Well Established
    • http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?un=leonet&t=39227
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 10:52:51 AM »
I also re-started biking last spring and ended up getting one of these:

It's a folding hybrid with full-size road bike tires and brakes, designed by an MIT student here in Boston.

It's great for the recreational-riding city dweller because you can just throw it in a car's trunk or take it on a train, and it also adjusts to different riding geometries (even different handlebar heights) with no tools.

It's also quintessentially geeky  ;D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 10:55:21 AM by leonet »
Use the word cybernetics, Norbert, because nobody knows what it means. This will always put you at an advantage in arguments.” -Claude Shannon

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 10:58:43 AM »
Woah.

That is really cool looking.. How much did it set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

I've always been interested in folding bikes, it's highly unlikely I'd ever buy one because I put a higher priority on speed than compactness, and the entry cost for folding bikes has always been too prohibitive for me to even consider the investment, but that looks cool.