Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 189550 times)

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: The Cycling Thread
« Reply #2985 on: April 09, 2019, 02:11:03 AM »
I wouldn't have been able to look at a Garmin on the last ride.... might have gone off a cliff.  OGR is a great ride but potentially hazardous.  At least we only pass a couple of walkers.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2986 on: April 09, 2019, 11:19:03 AM »
Profile for my big event Sunday.  Should be epic.
And I won't be able to watch Flanders until after.

Which Garmin model is that?  It looks like a 35, which I have, but I haven't seen that screen.

Edge 130.  Lots of neat features, battery life isn't great; I carry an external charger for rides over 4 hours or so.

Okay, cool.  I like that device.  Mine is just a semi-smart watch, which I use for everything.  I really like it, but the 130 looks like it would be ideal for bike use.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #2987 on: April 10, 2019, 05:29:50 PM »
It was epic.  110 miles, steel bike, downtube shifters, toeclips, and 27mm sew-ups.  Good weather too.
I made the official event photo gallery - that's me in the orange jersey behind Colonel Sanders.

https://www.eroicacalifornia.com/2019-gallery
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #2988 on: April 11, 2019, 11:33:36 AM »
Oh you tease!  I was going to compliment your ridiculously epic moustache and beard.  Bah.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2989 on: April 12, 2019, 02:32:29 AM »
Roadies...

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2990 on: April 24, 2019, 12:13:46 PM »
Just went for my first road ride from our new Lenoir City, TN home.

Good news: It feels good to be back on the bike.

Good news: The hills here are far more “rolling” than around our N GA home.

Bad news: What hills there were kicked my you-know-what! I’ve been off the bikes for over a year, mainly due to carpal/cubital tunnel surgery last May. After a brief downhill leaving home, there was a steady 1 mile plus climb. I kept her moving without invoking granny, but it was a grind. Heart rate hit 171. Only 2.65 miles out and back. Apple Watch says just a 277 ft gain.

Good news: Our house is right on a popular marked cycling course. We live on Carters Chapel Rd. Here is where Carters Chapel Rd. crosses US 70 and becomes Paw Paw Plains Rd.

From there it winds over to Melton Hill Dam, where lots of cyclists seem to gather. Anyone here familiar with that route?

Anyway, home and tired. Probably take a day off and try again Friday. Might try my road bike next time for comparison.

Took a selfie afterwards. Seems I need to adjust my helmet straps so it rides farther forward on my head:

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #2991 on: April 24, 2019, 04:36:48 PM »
Nice. I can relate to being off the bike a for a long time.

Over the past month or two I have been mostly riding on the indoor trainer, doing stuff on Zwift mostly. I've needed to build up some very basic condition so I can reasonably ride outside on our terrain. The weather hasn't been all that kind for cycling over the past 6 weeks (lots and lots of rainy days) but today has dawned a lovely day, so I might just take myself out for a ride....

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2992 on: April 25, 2019, 02:55:21 PM »
Nice. I can relate to being off the bike a for a long time.

Over the past month or two I have been mostly riding on the indoor trainer, doing stuff on Zwift mostly. I've needed to build up some very basic condition so I can reasonably ride outside on our terrain. The weather hasn't been all that kind for cycling over the past 6 weeks (lots and lots of rainy days) but today has dawned a lovely day, so I might just take myself out for a ride....

As Freddie said, "Get on your bikes and ride".

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2993 on: April 25, 2019, 04:39:33 PM »
As Freddie said, "Get on your bikes and ride".

Which is what I plan to do tomorrow!

I searched online and managed to come up with the route that goes past my house:

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/100251917/

I rode it today on my motorcycle. The stretch leaving my house is around the 16 mile mark, and is one of the steeper climbs, though moderate hills are sprinkled all along the route. And if that’s ever not long enough, their appear to be longer segments that spur off that route.

I downloaded the MapMyRide app and I’ll see if I like it better than Apple’s built-in activity app that syncs with my Apple Watch.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #2994 on: April 25, 2019, 04:57:33 PM »
Well I got out, it was a lovely day and I did about 33 km in and hour and a half. The roads around Bonville which are so nice to ride. This is one of roads:

Tried to go fairly easily/steady, the terrain is rolling so you are generally working solidly even when trying to go easy. According to the analytics it was still done at 90% of threshold power (I'm a power nerd). When fitter an easy ride is more like at 70% but since I'm carrying a lot of extra padding it's pretty difficult to go easy on any positive gradient.

Felt good. It hurt more later in the day/evening as the fatigue crept in. My residual leg was a bit grumpy and one reason I can't just go and flog myself like I might have been able to once - my residual stump is prone to injury. I have to very gradually increase my riding capacity.

Was good to get outside. I think a 2-hour ride will be in reach in a couple of weeks if I can keep up with the consistency.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2995 on: April 25, 2019, 06:08:04 PM »
Well I got out, it was a lovely day and I did about 33 km in and hour and a half. The roads around Bonville which are so nice to ride. This is one of roads:

Tried to go fairly easily/steady, the terrain is rolling so you are generally working solidly even when trying to go easy. According to the analytics it was still done at 90% of threshold power (I'm a power nerd). When fitter an easy ride is more like at 70% but since I'm carrying a lot of extra padding it's pretty difficult to go easy on any positive gradient.

Felt good. It hurt more later in the day/evening as the fatigue crept in. My residual leg was a bit grumpy and one reason I can't just go and flog myself like I might have been able to once - my residual stump is prone to injury. I have to very gradually increase my riding capacity.

Was good to get outside. I think a 2-hour ride will be in reach in a couple of weeks if I can keep up with the consistency.

Very cool.  If that's the normal traffic load in the picture, I am jealous. Any rural cafe's for a break?

Do you have a cycling prothesis? 

A good friend (probably decade my junior) seems to have a quiver.  He is very active (climbed Mt Everest) and has those sorts of complaints of the stump/prothsesis interface.  I think he has had surgery for that in the past.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #2996 on: April 25, 2019, 09:17:13 PM »
Very cool.  If that's the normal traffic load in the picture, I am jealous. Any rural cafe's for a break?

On these roads at the time of day I ride, the traffic count of vehicles that might pass me is less than 10 per hour. In peak hour it'd be double that. Busiest time is around school drop off/pick up. IOW, perfect.

It's a result of the new Pacific motorway opening new sections in recent years. These back roads all connect to the old highway and in the region where I am the old highway was kept since it still services all the farms and rural sized residential blocks in the area. They removed a car lane from each side of the old highway, lowered the speed limit and created a double width bike lane on both sides. It was all part of my research when I was choosing where I would move to. It's possible to ride for several hundred km without requiring a stop. Not a traffic light in sight.

The old highway, now a bike rider's paradise:

And another example of what's not far from me:

Once I am fitter and can ride longer (2 hours) then a cafe stop is possible down in Sawtell. There's a bike specific cafe there, and many groups start/end there. I can of course also start/end my ride from there if I wanted.

If I even fitter again and begin to do more challenging rides from home base (it's hillier here), then of course my home town Bellingen has cafes coming out it's wazoo. Cafe central.

Add to that a future potential of doing some gravel riding, as there are even more of those sorts of roads I can choose to ride on. I can see in my future a gravel e-bike.

Do you have a cycling prothesis? 

Yes - I use the same "bucket / socket" on my stump and unscrew my walking leg attachment and screw on my cycling leg Inspector Gadget style. It's just a straight pylon with a cycling cleat attached at the bottom. I had an engineer mate make an adapter plate so I could connect a standard cycling 3 hole cleat to a standard 4 hole prosthetic pyramid block.

These are old pictures from many years back but it's pretty much the same now:

A good friend (probably decade my junior) seems to have a quiver.  He is very active (climbed Mt Everest) and has those sorts of complaints of the stump/prothsesis interface.  I think he has had surgery for that in the past.

I just need to take my time - it copes well enough if I do that. I've done 160+km hilly fondos before and plenty of races on road and track. But if I get the process wrong, it can all go pear shaped pretty quickly so I need to be conservative in my approach.

I've not done MTB since my accident. Being stuck with a peg leg means a bit more forethought is required. Walking any more than a few steps is a PITA.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 09:19:16 PM by Alex Simmons »

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2997 on: April 26, 2019, 02:44:11 AM »
I shan't whine again about the osteoarthritis in my 67 yo ankle ever again. 

Thanks for the insight.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #2998 on: April 26, 2019, 05:37:00 AM »
It's just a flesh wound.

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #2999 on: May 04, 2019, 07:41:30 PM »

Sometimes I wonder why I'm so lucky to have my health.
Amend and resubmit.

personate-rain