Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 176464 times)

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: The Cycling Thread
« Reply #3000 on: May 05, 2019, 01:24:19 AM »
Some fine weather and I got out today for a nice ride. Managed 45km OK. Some soreness of residual stump, but otherwise I was OK with the duration. I'm having to experiment with how much foam material I use to pack the stump socket with to ensure I have a very tight and snug fit while cycling. The snugger the better.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3001 on: May 06, 2019, 02:12:20 AM »
I think I need a new mountain bike.  The Titus seems to have had its day.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3002 on: May 09, 2019, 05:07:36 AM »
I just bought a carbon ]Stumpjumper Expert.  Might see me out.  Can hardly wait to pick it up and go for a ride.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #3003 on: May 13, 2019, 02:57:30 PM »
My riding buddy's frame has cracked.  Lugged steel, custom for him, famous builder, bought in 1994.  He crashed it about 10 years ago and put a dent in the downtube and one in the top tube - he put some primer on the dents and kept an eye for damage and I guess if finally fatigued.  He's not sure if he'll have it repaired - I know frame builders replace tubes but I don't know anyone who has actually done it.  In an ironic twist, the famous framebuilder died last week... so buddy would have to have it repaired by somebody else.  I guess $500 for two tubes and braze-ons; another $500 for paint, plus labor to dis-and-re-assemble.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 03:01:06 PM by Friendly Angel »
Amend and resubmit.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3004 on: May 18, 2019, 03:05:03 PM »
New bicycle

A few bells and whistles I have been jealous of on other newer bicycles. 11kg, not much but the cables, spokes and pedals aren't carbon. 

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #3005 on: May 18, 2019, 05:07:01 PM »
Nothing like new bike day! Looks good.

Outdoors for another ride yesterday, it was a glorious morning and I snuck in a bit over 40km, passed several of my regional polling booths in small town halls/schools on this election day. Would have liked to go for longer but I have family visiting so didn't want to be out for too long. Else I've been doing my indoor training on Zwift, some interval sets. Fitness is improving. A long way from my heyday but it's good enough now to enjoy rides outdoors. Not hillier terrain though, for that I'll need a bit more power and a lot less weight!

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3006 on: May 19, 2019, 09:05:12 AM »
Cool bike!

Is there a trend to single front chainrings? Does it combine with choices in the rear to get a wide enough range of ratios? Wondering specifically about high gears.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #3007 on: May 19, 2019, 02:02:01 PM »
Cool bike!

Is there a trend to single front chainrings? Does it combine with choices in the rear to get a wide enough range of ratios? Wondering specifically about high gears.

More common with mountain bikes, but yes there are a lot of them.  In bikie lingo it's called "one-by".
Amend and resubmit.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3008 on: May 19, 2019, 02:38:12 PM »
Cool bike!

More than a trend, really.  I didn't see any new (high end) bikes with two front change rings.  It's lighter, cheaper and amore user friendly.  There is a tiny bit more distance between gears but the top and bottom gears are the same as my old bike. I am sold.  And instead of a very (very) expensive upgrade, all new mountain bikes (even cheap ones) come with a drop seat. 

As far as the top gears, they were lost some years ago with the switch from three rings to two.  Doesn't seem to be an issue with racers anyway.  The chain is pretty sloppy in the tiny gears and bouncing at speed can make them jump off the chainwheel. 

I had my first ride yesterday and was impressed.  The slightly larger tyres and carbon wheels were stunning rollers.  It seems to take tight corners better, uphill and down. The "one by" took no getting used to but the Sram shifters are push push, not push pull like the XT's I have been riding for ages so I found myself mis-shifting a little.  I await a real back country 30km trail ride with long climbs, steam crossings and serious mud. I think I will spend a little less energy with the Epic.

The Epic seems to get nine and a half stars in reviews, the downgrade is because of weight????  I think any lighter might be a bit spendier than an already spend until.  11 kgs seems fine, four kgs lighter than the Titus Rockstar.  It'll do me.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3009 on: May 21, 2019, 05:01:30 AM »
The Epic is a real performer, keeps the old grouch happy.  Never thought a bicycle could be so much fun.

She wants one.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #3010 on: May 23, 2019, 12:20:53 AM »
Was good to get outside. I think a 2-hour ride will be in reach in a couple of weeks if I can keep up with the consistency.

I managed to do my first 2-hour ride in over a year yesterday. I have done several rides of nearly that duration in recent weeks but I have to take my time building up the resilience of my leg to cope OK.

Fitness is improving.

Some more pics of my local roads:

I think my next thing to do is to dust off the track bike, head to the local velodrome and do a few efforts. Maybe tomorrow.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #3011 on: May 24, 2019, 05:34:28 PM »
I dusted off my track bike and went to the local velodrome. When riding I noticed I hadn't really dusted it all that well! Could use a bit more of a wipe down.

Only did about 35 minutes with some short hard accelerations starting from a walking pace, one hard 30-sec effort and one hard effort of about 2.5 min.

It felt OK and peak power was fine (always is, it doesn't decline in the way aerobic fitness does with a lack of exercise). Leg felt fine doing the maximal efforts which is always good news. If I have issues going hard this is where I'll find out. I don't like doing this sort of work on the road bikes. The track bike is so much nicer for this. More solid, secure.

I do enjoy riding the track. I might put a short track session into my routine, maybe one per week/fortnight.

personate-rain