Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 186954 times)

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
Re: The Cycling Thread
« Reply #3015 on: June 06, 2019, 01:57:54 PM »
I am having a great season on the bike.  I do hill repeats before my group rides to soften up my legs.  My riding buddies recognize that I'm reducing effort just to stay with them and be social.  This is new territory for me.

And I like it.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3016 on: June 23, 2019, 12:06:55 AM »
Huey hasn't sent much snow, but the upside is that the bike park is reasonably dry.  Nice to splash a bit of mud on the new Epic. 

This bicycle is almost cheating.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3017 on: June 23, 2019, 03:00:52 PM »
Not many riders yesterday, my dogs' tracks were still there.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #3018 on: June 23, 2019, 06:45:31 PM »
Rain this week. Looks like I'll be doing a bit of Zwifting.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3019 on: June 27, 2019, 05:14:17 AM »
Oops, the winter anticyclone just caught me out.  The sunny bits of the bike park just gave way to the freeze/thaw cycle.  In twenty metres, my bicycle were so thick with clay /mud they wouldn't turn.  Back to the frozen track in the trees and a serious wash up at home.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #3020 on: June 27, 2019, 06:13:10 AM »
Doesn't sound like much fun.

Meanwhile I did some intervals on Zwift yesterday and this afternoon I did a Zwift race, some hilly loop around London. At least I wasn't DFL.  :D

Online Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3021 on: June 27, 2019, 11:16:40 AM »

Meanwhile I did some intervals on Zwift yesterday and this afternoon I did a Zwift race, some hilly loop around London. At least I wasn't DFL.  :D
lol, had to Google that one. :D
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #3022 on: June 27, 2019, 01:18:31 PM »

Meanwhile I did some intervals on Zwift yesterday

I've been reading Fast After 50 -

Friel says most folks go to endurance mode with their training by the time they're 50. I thought "Isn't that what we're supposed to do?"

He claims that unless you're doing HIIT, you'll be losing fitness and aging too fast.  But he was using VO2Max as a measure of fitness and I thought - "If you're doing HIIT, you're essentially training for VO2Max rather than overall fitness."

Then I wondered how intense was intense; I do some serious climbing but don't generally take it to the limit... and he said the minimum to qualify as intense is to go anaerobic... no problem there. 

He anticipated all of my objections and dismissed them as excuses of motivation.  It was pretty compelling.  Good book, and I don't generally read training books.

Amend and resubmit.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3023 on: June 27, 2019, 03:15:34 PM »

Pushing one's bicycle down hill and digging out the cold mud from between the tyre and the seat post so the wheel turns is not fun.  Skiing yesterday was more fun.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #3024 on: June 27, 2019, 05:42:15 PM »

Meanwhile I did some intervals on Zwift yesterday

I've been reading Fast After 50 -

Friel says most folks go to endurance mode with their training by the time they're 50. I thought "Isn't that what we're supposed to do?"

He claims that unless you're doing HIIT, you'll be losing fitness and aging too fast.  But he was using VO2Max as a measure of fitness and I thought - "If you're doing HIIT, you're essentially training for VO2Max rather than overall fitness."

Then I wondered how intense was intense; I do some serious climbing but don't generally take it to the limit... and he said the minimum to qualify as intense is to go anaerobic... no problem there. 

He anticipated all of my objections and dismissed them as excuses of motivation.  It was pretty compelling.  Good book, and I don't generally read training books.

Well the core issue is whether you are exercising for enjoyment, health and well being, or training for a specific purpose. If it's the former, which is the vast majority of non-utility cyclists, then not doing HIIT is neither here nor there. In general the natural variability in terrain or simply riding with others on occasions will provide sufficient stimulation. I'm unconvinced by the assertion that you will age faster as a result of not doing dedicated HIIT work.

Doing dedicated HIIT work is physically hard and it also comes with a mental cost. Also HIIT comes in many forms and how and what you do depends primarily (but not solely) on the metabolic systems you are seeking to target. VO2max is but one factor, and is only modestly correlated with performance. Other factors are equally if not more important.

A little HIIT (of various forms) sprinkled in the training diet is a good thing, but when you move to a dedicated period of HIIT work, it needs to be dosed very carefully, as benefits begin to plateau pretty quickly, it requires a backing off of overall training loads to enable sufficient recovery and indeed you can begin to lose fitness (as well as the will to live) if attempting to persist with it for too long.

Here's an item I wrote not so long ago about the origins of such training:
HIIT Me With Your Rhythm Stick

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3025 on: June 28, 2019, 04:09:34 PM »

Well the core issue is whether you are exercising for enjoyment, health and well being, or training for a specific purpose. If it's the former, which is the vast majority of non-utility cyclists, then not doing HIIT is neither here nor there. In general the natural variability in terrain or simply riding with others on occasions will provide sufficient stimulation. I'm unconvinced by the assertion that you will age faster as a result of not doing dedicated HIIT work.

For those of us in the "former" category, stumbling along with MAF and the occasional, inevitable, unavoidable  HIIT will keep us healthy and enjoying cycling.

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3026 on: June 28, 2019, 10:40:07 PM »
Just got home from watching 2 Criterium races at the USA Cycling National Championships, the women’s and men, in Knoxville, TN, not far from our E TN home.

Pretty impressive!

A sprint to the finish in the men’s:

More events tomorrow and Sunday - may or may not make it back over for more.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #3027 on: June 28, 2019, 11:48:49 PM »
Yes, this is the week set aside for National Championships in most northern hemisphere countries.

One of my Euro clients just missed winning his national TT championship. Road Race on Sunday but TT is his main gig.

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #3028 on: June 29, 2019, 11:42:03 AM »
So the tour of France is starting soon. Any ideas how this year will go?
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #3029 on: June 29, 2019, 05:02:15 PM »
So the tour of France is starting soon. Any ideas how this year will go?
We'll be bored to death by Ineos?

The loss of a couple of key players (Froome, Dumoulin) makes it a little more open I guess. I find the TdF one of the less interesting races in general. At least the opening week parcours looks a bit more interesting than the usual fare.