Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 154303 times)

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: The Cycling Thread
« Reply #2925 on: April 14, 2018, 03:53:12 PM »
NZ, Gold and Silver again in the Commonwealth Games cross county cycling event.  Positions reversed tis year.  A little controversy.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/103108826/oscar-kightley-in-defence-of-gazes-onefinger-salute
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #2926 on: April 16, 2018, 06:51:51 PM »

I am totally doing the Eroica ride next year.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2927 on: June 24, 2018, 01:07:12 PM »

Amputee guy on The Mountain today - looks like an "all-purpose" leg without any clipless pedal accommodation.  No shoe either - he was walking around the rest area with just that platform thing on the bottom.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #2928 on: June 24, 2018, 01:50:23 PM »
Did he have a special pedal on his Bike?
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2929 on: June 24, 2018, 07:11:02 PM »
I didn't see his bike - I joined in with the conversation but it wasn't about prosthetics.  Others I know have a cycling leg and a regular leg, but his looked to be all-purpose with no accommodation for a bike.  I just thought it was odd that he didn't have a shoe on.
Amend and resubmit.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2930 on: June 24, 2018, 08:27:28 PM »
I've done 78 miles this week, including two 30-mile rides.  The day after both I've felt great (I had expected some soreness, but had none), and it has had great effects on my blood glucose readings.  I wish I had a rail trail near me; I'd be out there every day.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2931 on: June 25, 2018, 09:50:10 AM »
I didn't see his bike - I joined in with the conversation but it wasn't about prosthetics.  Others I know have a cycling leg and a regular leg, but his looked to be all-purpose with no accommodation for a bike.  I just thought it was odd that he didn't have a shoe on.

I was just thinking that with a special pedal on the bike he might not need a shoe.  Just wondering.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2932 on: August 10, 2018, 05:06:24 AM »
I may need some tips on getting a bike for mostly commuting and getting around a city, and some longer trips on decent, paved roads. My main criteria is that it has to be light-weight.

I've been using an old family MTB for a while, but it is heavy as heck and not particularly great to ride, so I am getting something else.

I have been torn between getting something brand new, maybe a Trek FX 1-2, which is around USD 460-500, with the benefit of a warranty (that's kinda useless for a bike, which I can fix up rather easily), and a guarantee that it won't fall apart, or an older, used one that I can get for almost a third as much, that I'd fix up, if needed. The added benefit of the latter is that it is much less likely to get stolen.

What do youse think what would make the most sense?

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2933 on: August 10, 2018, 07:17:13 AM »

The added benefit of the latter is that it is much less likely to get stolen.

You don't get a cheap bike because it won't get stolen, you get it because you don't care if it gets stolen.

Warranties are probably not as valuable as you think, but there is  value in buying from a shop.  Sizing, tuning, etc. .

If you want a fun enjoyable ride,  get new. Those trek fx bikes are very popular.   

Amend and resubmit.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2934 on: August 10, 2018, 11:39:38 AM »
New bikes are nice. Used bikes are well worth the price. Especially if you can work on the bike yourself.  Just make sure the bike has not been used for what it was intended and only rode in the city. That's if you get a MTB. There is a huge markdown once the bike leaves the showroom floor. You might try to find end of year sales and last year's models if you want to buy a new bike.
Douglas Adams

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2935 on: August 10, 2018, 03:32:23 PM »
New bikes are nice. Used bikes are well worth the price. Especially if you can work on the bike yourself.  Just make sure the bike has not been used for what it was intended and only rode in the city. That's if you get a MTB. There is a huge markdown once the bike leaves the showroom floor. You might try to find end of year sales and last year's models if you want to buy a new bike.

That. 

That said, I have also done well with the las two used mtn bikes I have purchased... mind you, I am quite familiar with bicycles and and their care and feeding as well as knowing what I want from them.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2936 on: August 10, 2018, 08:15:40 PM »
My main criteria is that it has to be light-weight.

Strong, light, cheap. Pick any two.

My advice to anyone buying a bike, no matter what level or type of bike: Make sure the bike fits you properly and that the fit adjustment is right for you. This is the most important thing to get right with any bike you choose.

Often that means getting someone who knows what they are doing to help get that right for you. That may or may not be a bike shop - so many shops sell bikes so unsuitable for the rider it's awful to see. I've seen some shockers over the years. A well fitted old beat up bike is going to be way better than a flash poorly fitted one.

Being well fitted means comfort and riding enjoyment increases, reduced risk of injury, and you'll want to ride more often, more frequently and further.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2937 on: August 10, 2018, 08:58:43 PM »
I ride a Trek 7.1 FX.  It’s a great bike, and has been perfect for my rides mainly on (sometimes pothole-y) country and suburban roads.  It is not particularly light, however.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline haudace

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Reality under scrutiny
« Reply #2938 on: August 11, 2018, 02:39:29 PM »
Lol I appreciate very much this thread exists - I have been biking to work every workday since I purchased my bike on May 30th. I slacked a little bit when I took my one week vacation though. Managed to lose roughly 10 pounds but I have plateau'ed now. I think my body wants to focus on building muscles now or perhaps I need to add to my routine to lose more weight.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2939 on: August 11, 2018, 05:42:52 PM »
Cycling is quite efficient such that losing weight through cycling alone isn't likely beyond a bit of a change. It requires a change in calorie intake to make most impact.

As an example, 1 hour of constant cycling for most recreational types would only "burn" 300-400 calories.

It's only when you do a lot of riding at higher power levels that it starts to be a factor.