Author Topic: Best robot movie..?  (Read 2949 times)

Offline Green Ideas

• Reef Tank Owner
  • ZZZ!!!
Re: Best robot movie..?
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2010, 10:17:51 PM »
A "robot movie" would be one that's actually about robots. 2001: A Space Odyssey wouldn't count because, though it strongly features a robot, the story isn't actually about HAL.

HAL is usually considered a computer*, not a robot. It controls the ship, so it makes some sense to call it a robot. But in literature and in the movies for something to be called a robot it usually has to be at least vaguely humanoid, or perhaps animal-like, with limbs, a head, etc.

If HAL is a robot, I wanna change my vote: 2001 should count, HAL is certainly one of the main characters.

* It's generally believed A. C. Clarke played with the name "IBM", using the letters immediately preceding those.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2010, 10:53:24 PM »
It says a lot about this message board, 100% of it bad, that The Black Hole has not been mentioned yet.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Jack

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2010, 11:08:40 PM »
It says a lot about this message board, 100% of it bad, that The Black Hole has not been mentioned yet.
I agree. 100% of The Black Hole is bad. :P

Offline Jack

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2010, 11:17:33 PM »

A "robot movie" would be one that's actually about robots. 2001: A Space Odyssey wouldn't count because, though it strongly features a robot, the story isn't actually about HAL.

HAL is usually considered a computer*, not a robot. It controls the ship, so it makes some sense to call it a robot. But in literature and in the movies for something to be called a robot it usually has to be at least vaguely humanoid, or perhaps animal-like, with limbs, a head, etc.

If HAL is a robot, I wanna change my vote: 2001 should count, HAL is certainly one of the main characters.
I'd disagree with that definition, but I know that that's how it's commonly used. I've always thought of a robot as any autonomous machine that interacts with the outside world.
* It's generally believed A. C. Clarke played with the name "IBM", using the letters immediately preceding those.
I've heard of that idea, and I can see merit in it. "Heuristically programmed ALgorithmic computer" is a terrible acronym, so there might be some other reason behind it.

Offline Zytheran

• Frequent Poster
    • The old Skeptics SA website
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2010, 11:47:21 PM »

This is an interesting idea. Can HAL be though of as a robot? Although he is clearly depicted as having a computer as his center of reasoning is it fair to think of the ship as his body?
If we had a walking mech. we'd all say it's a robot I imagine. But what if it was 200' high and carried humans? Is it still a robot? If it can can move autonomously, fire weapons autonomously but let's human be in it and from within using their their unique (and in all honesty, pathetic) abilities is it still a robot?
At what level of reasoning is a complex machine really a robot?
All of the industrial robots I used when an engineer were as dumb as bat-shit but they got to be called "robots".

Getting back to HAL, he had beliefs and seemed to have desire and showed intent, could sense his surroundings and react to change so I'm thinking, yeah, the Discovery One was a robot and HAL was it's brain. :-\

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2010, 11:54:18 PM »
Anyone ever see Robot Jox?

Good gravy that was bad.
Not even robots, but Mech Warriors in a gladiator style arena.

:ughh:

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2010, 01:11:00 AM »

Robocop's always good for a laugh (I know...Robocop himself is an android.

Robocop is NOT an android, he is a cyborg.

An android is a robot that happens to be shaped like a human.  C3P0, Data from Star Trek, Bishop from Aliens, and R. Daneel Olivaw are all examples of androids.

personate-rain